Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Practicing winter skills/snow pack tests at a resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Been lurking for a few weeks and found this forum very helpful, so I was hoping somebody could help me.

I'm going out to Tignes in March in a group and a few of us would like to spend a morning or two practicing some winter skills stuff off-piste.

We might do an avalanche transceiver half-day course, but we don't have much money for much else than that. A few of us are climbers, and one in the group has good trad and a little winter climbing experience. We were thinking of practicing some rutschblock tests, a bit of rope work with snow bollards, maybe a few self-arrests.

Are resorts happy for you just to find some snow not too far away from the piste and get on with it, or might they have a problem with this?

Thanks for any advice,

Tom
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just try an find a test slope that people will not be skiing on, maybe a little mound that nobody will bother walking up or something inaccessible below a cliff. Nobody has ever said anything, even done it next to lift stations. I assume if nobody can fall in your hole and you are not making weak points above a piste then there's no problem. Plus it takes a severely power crazed pisteur to stifle alpine education!

That said I hear the Austrians are a little more relaxed that the french about well... everything up the mountains rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
...errmmm - you can always fill in the hole once you have finished. Seems rather anti-social not to. I've always been encouraged to on avi courses.

One of the 'catch 22s' here is that testing in a place that's tucked away and not where you intend to ski, does not tell you about the layers where you intend to ski.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. I'll remember to fill in the hole!

The idea is not to test where we want to ski, but to practice the test for at time when we will be in a situation when we might need it. And not just about testing the snow pack, also want to make snow bollards and practice some rope work.

Assumed it would be OK, but just didn't want to do something that was frowned upon.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy