Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Caught Speeding in Hire Car... :-(

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks...

It appears I have been caught speeding in a hire car from GVA, whilst on my way to Les Contamines... When I told friends out there that I thought I had been flashed by the motorway camera, they said don't worry, it's a hire car and you'll never have to pay... Well now I have a traffic offence on my desk (in the UK), via the car hire company, who have kindly already deducted CHF50 'handling fee'... Shocked

So my question is, do I have to pay this...? Are they ever likely to follow this up and demand payment, as I thought unless you actually got caught (on the spot) you were safe...???

Any advice welcome Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had a similar occurrence a few years ago

All I paid was the Avis "handling fee" as no choice there, already gone on my cc

I didn't pay the fine and haven't had problems hiring since
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do the crime, do the time. When you say they have deducted 50CHF, do you not mean added it on as an administration fee?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd pay it. If it ever comes up on a background check in the future, you might be in hot water.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yes, you have to pay.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The only fines I've ever paid in Switzerland or France are the on the spot fines, everything else I've studiously ignored, and so far got away with them all!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It pretty much depends on how much over the limit you were and on what speed limit, big fines can get increased and if they go up to the bigger court people have found uk police officers knocking on their doors
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What is the fine? A few pounds - pay it and sleep well. Hundreds? - What is your worry threshold?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AlpineAddict, you were half expecting it, pay and maybe the gendarmes won't target UK drivers as much as they do (so I hear on the internet wink )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gixxerniknik wrote:
The only fines I've ever paid in Switzerland or France are the on the spot fines, everything else I've studiously ignored, and so far got away with them all!

How many have you had?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No, you do not have to pay.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
French I wouldn't worry.
Swiss pay up!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
swiftoid wrote
Quote:

How many have you had?

Switzerland, been flashed probably half-dozen times by static speeding cameras and a couple of parking tickets but TBH I hardly go there now. In France however countless static speeding cameras have flashed me and continue to do so, but I am much more careful there now as they are clamping down a lot and paying 90-110 euros speeding fine each time eats into the wine fund.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thx all... Apparently it was not on the way to Les Contamines, where I thought I had been flashed, but on the way home, to GVA at 04:53 on... BUT it says

Direction: Chamonix Mont Blanc vers Macon...

Control your vehicle was at 82kmh

A speed limit of 70kmh authorise

The speed chosen is 77kmh

That is the wrong way... I was driving away from Chamonix??? Puzzled So how does that work????

The fine is only 45€ but goes up to 68€ then 180€ after 76 days... Ricklovesthepowder, the hire company have taken 50CHF form my credit card as a handling fee for this process... Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I dont understand why you want to cause yourself the stress it would create over 45 euros?
snow report
I would pay it, not worth the hassle.

I had a fine when hiring in Austria. The cost of the bank transfer (IBAN I think) and the hire company handling fee was nearly double the fine, but in the grand scheme of things the total still wasn't huge - about £60 in all.
snow report
eddiethebus, No stress Smile I was just asking the question really... Having already paid the 50CHF I was wondering if I need to fork out more... I am happy to pay (well not happy but you know what I mean)...

Just need t be more careful, however I am confused on the direction thing, stating I was heading to Chamonix when I wasn't that morning... and I don't recall getting flashed on that morning as it was like a blizzard and I was driving pretty slow Sad
latest report
AlpineAddict, you've checked the reg number against the one you hired right? Might be the hire car company cocking up.
snow report
meh wrote:
AlpineAddict, you've checked the reg number against the one you hired right? Might be the hire car company cocking up.

Yeah, or same car different time of day, a different punter going the other way!
snow conditions
Its really not a lot of money. I'd be inclined to pay it for the peace of mind. To put it in context I'm sure you bought rounds of drinks at the bar on holiday that cost more than this...
latest report
My personal rule of thumb in foreign countries is that anything involving the constabulary gets paid, anything that doesn't is placed in the glove compartment as a trophy.

However, that sounds worth the effort to dispute, unless you don't have the time or inclination to do so. In which case, may as well pay it quick before it starts to get silly. You might have to fight to get the CHFs back from the hire car company if they did get it wrong though.
ski holidays
In France, if you are speeding well over the limit they can take your licence, then do the standard on the spot fine..however, if you have been going tooo fast it may go to court, in which case the court can increase the fine and hold your licence till you pay up..if you don't pay it can cause you quite a bit of greif if you return to said country.
snow conditions
"Chamonix Mont Blanc vers Macon" means travelling towards GVA from Les Contamines, which is the direction you said you thought you were going...

I thought the risk in not paying it was that Avis get chased and pay it for you, deducting it and the late payment fee from your card.
ski holidays
snowdave, I have just realised that... I always thought that 'vers' was 'via' and not 'to'... Smile Good job I use a sat nag eh... So maybe it was me Sad

Just need to work out how to pay it now, as like you have all said... cheap now but don't want it escalating to stupid money and possible court...

Thx all Smile
snow report
A number of years ago I had my own car in Switzerland and set off numerous static cameras. I knew the car was going back to the leasing company when I returned to the UK so I had no worries about getting stopped in it if I ever went back again. I pity the new owner if he ever ventured in to Switzerland.

Traffic fines and driving bans in the EU or EEA are not yet enforceable cross border. I'd be inclined to ignore it unless the Swiss Authorities pursue Avis who will simply charge your crdit card for the amount.
snow report
AlpineAddict, paypal?
snow report
what happens in the Uk though when you insure your own car and they ask if you have had any convictions in the past 5 years?
snow report
polo99 wrote:
what happens in the Uk though when you insure your own car and they ask if you have had any convictions in the past 5 years?

As I said earlier, there is no way of recording cross-border motoring convictions so there is no way an insurer would ever be able to check foreign convictions. What you would choose to do in such a situation is entirely personal choice but I know what I would do.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polo99, I don't think speeding tickets with no points attached count as convictions... do they?
ski holidays
You don't have to pay it, it can't be enforced, also the last one I got arrived after a month and I got the handling fee refunded as the hire company were too slow sending it to me and I said that they had deprived me the right of defending it in court which of course you are entitled to do.(Not that I intend to do so, just wanted the handling fee back).
snow conditions
we're an honest lot on here aren't we...
latest report
New rules coming?!

http://www.iexpats.com/escaping-traffic-fines-euro-expats/
snow report
AlpineAddict, I would pay it to be honest Scott. and then fight Avis for the 'handling fee' - you might not get it back, but you may be able to get a voucher credit or something towards your next rental??!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 2-02-14 14:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Yep dennisp, always a good idea to have more than one licence. Avoid handing your original licence in when getting a licence in a new place of residence.
ski holidays
philhitch wrote:
New rules coming?!

http://www.iexpats.com/escaping-traffic-fines-euro-expats/

I read a similar article to that a few days ago. I'm not sure why the UK havent signed the same agreement, probably because it would be a one way revenue stream out of the county i imagine!
ski holidays
Paid... I like the way the website is fully in English nowadays...

Will try to recover the CHF50 though from the car hire company... Thx all for the advice... Including the dishonest bugs amongst you all Smile
snow conditions
dennisp, (and anyone else trying the foreign licence in UK game) - have you heard of DVLA shadow licences specifically created to resolve this perceived 'loophole'?

http://www.speedingfinesuk.co.uk/speeding_fines_penalties.htm#What_if_I_hold_a_foreign_driving_licence
ski holidays
AlpineAddict wrote:
Do my question is, do I have to pay this...?

What kind of dumbass question is that?? rolling eyes

These kind of legal procedures do not just dissapear!

You may be refused Car hire in the future. the big Car Hire companys share information on driver history, accidents, fines.

Your license and may be your passport is logged with the car hire company. The Swiss Police could easily gain access to this information.

If your Passport or Name is checked at a Swiss Airport you may be in a spot of trouble & could cost you a hell of a lot more.
snow report
stanton wrote:
AlpineAddict wrote:
Do my question is, do I have to pay this...?

What kind of dumbass question is that?? rolling eyes

These kind of legal procedures do not just dissapear!

You may be refused Car hire in the future. the big Car Hire companys share information on driver history, accidents, fines.

Your license and may be your passport is logged with the car hire company. The Swiss Police could easily gain access to this information.

If your Passport or Name is checked at a Swiss Airport you may be in a spot of trouble & could cost you a hell of a lot more.

This reminds me of one of my ex bosses when I was a student. Arsenal got to the final of the Euro cup winners cup and he didn't dare go to watch as it was in Paris...... He'd gone AWOL from the French Foreign Legion a good few years before and was worried he'd get picked up if he tried entering France to watch his beloved Arsenal play. I imagine this became a bit of a problem as after he closed the shop he became a long distance lorry driver!
snow report
I have received a speeding ticket from a hire car in Switzerland. The company will pass your details onto the Swiss police and you can expect a fine from them. I would pay up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy