Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription Goggles?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of / recomendations for prescription goggles.

I've been wearing my glasses under my goggles but the glasses keep getting misty and don't clear well by themselves. I want to be able to ski when it's snowing and misty, but at the moment I keep having tantrums because I can't see. My poor husband! So I am thinking prescription goggles but as they will be be expensive and only used two or three weeks in the year would appreciate other people's thoughts.

On another subject entirely why do I keep typing googles instead of goggles?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take a look here for an alternative idea: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=106537#2436054
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The missus got some prescription inserts. I think they were only about 50 quid on top of the goggle price.

They don't steam up as much as her specs used to underneath OTG goggles, but they do steam up more than just a pair of goggles would on their own...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ooh thank you Mr Pieholeo! Where did she get the inserts from?
& thanks Megamum reading with interest now . . .
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I love Mayrhofen wrote:
ooh thank you Mr Pieholeo! Where did she get the inserts from?
& thanks Megamum reading with interest now . . .

We got both the goggles and inserts from spex4less.com
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wear glasses under goggles, conventional goggles.

A simple bit of foam surgery and they NEVER steam up:

With a pair of nail scissors cut a 1cm channel for the arms of your glasses, remove that foam piece.

The slot will be concealed by the strap and will not be visible.

You get a lot more air-flow.....consequentially no steaming up.

Over the years I've done this on several goggles for myself, and even for non glasses wearers who had steam problems.

100% success rate.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I love Mayrhofen,

I use contact lenses - works really well. I presume you've tried that so sorry if I've stated the obvious!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zellmaniac, so do I, but for a good while now I've been interested to know if a visored helmet is an acceptable solution with specs. Mind you, thinking about it I used to wear specs with a full face motorcycle helmet without so many problems.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all - it's actually really reassuring just to know I'm not imagining this problem! Some good ideas for me to think about.

Zellmaniac - contact lenses are probably a good solution but I'm squeamish about them. This might be the thing that persuades me to get over it!

Thanks again everyone.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love Mayrhofen, I'm with the contact lenses option - absolutely no steaming up snowHead . Just make sure you take them out before you go out and hit the apres. Trying to remove a contact lens which has already fallen out after a few beers leaves quite a sorry eyeball Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But on the other hand don't not take them out either, I ended up with eyes that looked like I'd done 10 rounds with M. Ali and they were so difficult to get out after sleeping in them. Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rungsp wrote:
I wear glasses under goggles, conventional goggles.

A simple bit of foam surgery and they NEVER steam up:

With a pair of nail scissors cut a 1cm channel for the arms of your glasses, remove that foam piece.

The slot will be concealed by the strap and will not be visible.

You get a lot more air-flow.....consequentially no steaming up.

Over the years I've done this on several goggles for myself, and even for non glasses wearers who had steam problems.

100% success rate.

I can't quite picture this, but I'm intrigued... where do the arms of the specs go exactly? Outside or inside the strap? Got pics?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ummm....picture the scene:

Put on your glasses.
Put on goggles over glasses.

Mr Pieholeo, I'm struggleing to figure out how the arms of the specs could go outside the straps!

The foam of the goggles frame would push the spectacles arms against the side of your head.
Cut a channel in the foam to allow the arms some space...and that allows the air to flow.

Net result:

No Fog.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah yeah I see now. Haha.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And, of course you can also put prescriptive sunglasses in your goggles too for bright sun which i have done to increase the usability of an mid orange lens in the sun.
But, i went for prescriptive inserts into my frames which i find more physically comfortable and more secure being fixed to the goggle. Had i tried rungsp procedure, then i might have sticked with the 'make do' for a bit longer.
Quite pleased with the inserts really - IMO i was noticing the glasses on my nose and in the goggles, just a little too much which distracted me.
Tried also being 'cheap' with 'contacts' too. I found just wearing them for a ski holiday or two per year, troublesome as i didn't have the confidence or dexterity to get them in/out quickly.
Plus, my eyes dried out and found them 'sticky' - perhaps i could have fixed this with a spray.
Less problems all around with goggle inserts provided you don't change goggle type!
snow report
Never heard of goggle inserts, but it reminds me of the Billy Connolly joke about prescription windscreens in cars and all the other motorists crashing coz of this huge head driving towards them. Now I got an image of skiers with huge eyes roaming the hills....
snow report
Mayrhofen, I also use contacts and was very squemish about it. Sports use is what pushed me to try (was looking at all the expensive prescription mountain biking and running glasses).

Just go for a free trial and consultation. They will explain it all, sit with you while you put them in and take them out, and it's usually free. First time is very wierd, but after that you will never look back and will wonder how you managed with glasses all these years.

If you don't like them after the free consultation, then you've lost nothing (other than the hour), but give it a go. I'm terribly squemish (I can't shave with a blade) and it was fine.
snow conditions
Zellmaniac Do you know me in real life? Being too pissed to take contacts out and sleeping with them in are two main reasons (apart from being squeamish!) why I worry about using them!

I think I'm going to start with rungsp foam surgery, followed by goggles with inserts.

Dylan32 will take your advice and go for a contact lense trial as well. Maybe I'll only use them for the sober days!

Megamum (without wanting to start another discussion) I don't currently use a helmet, but if all else fails will deffo try this option!

And again thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply, it's much appreciated. I'm obviously going to have to go skiing again soon so I can try your methods out and report back. Very Happy
latest report
rungsp, I'd like to give you method a go as I've got some old glasses that would fit inside my goggles but I'm a bit wary of just attacking the foam a bit randomly. Any chance of some foam surgery photos please? My goggles are fairly cheap and steam up too so a bit more air might help.

Also I love Mayrhofen, how did you get on?
ski holidays
Smith make goggles with extractor fans, which greatly helps problems with fogging glasses or prescription inserts. I can no longer wear contact lenses for skiing, because of complicated eye problems, but found these really terrific
https://www.smithoptics.com/products/#/Snow+Goggles/Turbo+Fan+Series/KNOWLEDGE+TURBO+FAN+OTG/view/
ski holidays
contacts are a good answer, my OH was squeamish too but after a few years faffing about has now got contacts for sports and loving them.
snow report
Plenty of brands do specific Over-The-Glasses models. Just replaced my old Oakley Provens with the new Canopy model. I used to get a lot of misting problems with my old Scott goggles which were, to be fair, pretty cheap. Since I switched to the Oakleys misting all but went away as they used much less dense foam so allowed more air to circulate.
snow report
Sorry for late return to the thread, off to Mayrhofen tomorrow (yay, if only there was some snow!) and have performed surgery on the goggles today rungsp-style. Will update on my return!
snow conditions
I just got some Bolle inserts with my prescription just last week in time for a weekend in Lech (just got back)

My optician lent me the goggles as I hadn't decided which ones to get

They were fantastic. Have always struggled with glasses / goggles that fit glasses steaming up / contact lenses etc etc

The goggles I used are only about 25 quid. Obviously the lenses are extra and come on the form of a snap in attachment.

Visibility was brilliant.
snow report
I use the smith goggles with a fan and am pretty happy with them. You can just leave the fan running the whole time to prevent your glasses from fogging up. The only problem I have found is in deep fresh snow. A couple of times snow has entered the goggles when snow goes over your head while skiing. One of those good problems I suppose. Also, when you go for a tumble, snow can lodge itself in the fan and stop it working. Giving it a good few whacks fixes that problem though.

Another thing to watch for is overheating. People often wear too many layers when skiing anyway. All that hot sweaty air rises around your neck and turns into fog city on your glasses. Try wearing less insulation and more breathable softshell materials instead of sweat inducing membranes like goretex. Aim to be comfortably cool and try to avoid ever feeling hot while skiing.
snow conditions
Ok thanks again all for the various advice and different suggestions! I now owe rungsp a rather large drink for his low cost, low tech solution which worked a treat! You are my new hero. Blue Blue Blue
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy