Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles for under £100

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just to add a little info to the Goggle debate, then many goggles are made in the same factories and just given different brand names at different prices for essentially the same goggles Shocked Shocked

So look out for some of the other brand names out there, as they are more than half the price and are the same thing!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
feef wrote:
The 20% import tax?

Is that tax mandatory or dependant on whether customs see it ? I can't see where it explains the tax thing Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gad, The import rules for a private import (as opposed to a business) are here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm
"If you order or purchase goods other than alcohol, tobacco, perfume and toilet water from a country outside the EU then you have to pay:
• Customs Duty on goods with a value that exceeds £135
• Import VAT on goods with a value that exceeds £15
Note that on all goods from outside the EU, Customs Duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is £9 or under."

And it doesn't matter if the goods are a gift or not.

The above is only the fees levied by the HMRC but depending on the carrier you might also have to pay a customs clearance/admin charge as well.

I regularly import goods from the US & a few years ago I'd have said that the chances are a parcel sneaking though without charges being applied were 50/50 but things are a lot tighter now & only about 10% of my shipments sneak through - & that's only if it's sent by regular post (ie USPS) - anything sent by a courier (ie UPS, FedEx) will always go through customs. Doesn't really make a difference to me as I claim the VAT back but the duty/clearance charge is a true saving if the shipment does sneak though.

Note that if a US sender under values the shipment on the documentation then they're committing a Federal offence in the US & if you solicit that or are complicit then you'd be committing VAT fraud in the UK.

I'd recommend when budgeting for a US purchase that you assume that'll by the time you've received it it'll cost you in £ what you paid in $, & anything saved is a lucky bonus & shouldn't be relied upon.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy