Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

bindings

Poster: A snowHead
hey everyone

how do i know how far to have my bindings apart? is there a set distance depending on how long your legs are?

andy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personal choice. Experiment between 21 and 24".

If you're very tall, start at the top end of that scale, if you're short start at the bottom end.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
am short, inside leg of just under 30 inch... so i reckon 20 - 21 inch judging by a couple of charts i have seen.... will i need to get them redrilled?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ajc2260626, Andy, current fashion is for you to mostly have your feet laterally shoulder width. I'd expect for most people it helps to have the bindsings somewhere around there as well. I don't see it all working well otherwise.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh, sorry, you're snowboarding aren't you. In that case, it's the opposite to skiing.

Make sure both sets of bindings are mounted to the same board.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haha. Was very puzzled by this until I realised I was in the snowBoarding section! Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ajc2260626, no your board should have a choice of inserts to facilitate different stance widths. If you need to tweak it even more, it's possible to use the slots in the base plates for a bit of extra adjustment.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ajc2260626,
cad99uk height: 5' 7" binding centres 55 cm
Mrs cad99uk height 5' 3" binding centres 51 cm
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The reference stance should be marked - use that to start with. If it feels too wide or too narrow, tweak it a cm at a time until it doesn't.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm a girl, 5"6 with 30" legs, and my bindings are set at about 22.5".

Try strapping yourself onto your board in front of the telly with your bindings set according to your shoulder width and see how it feels after 5 or 10 mins or so. Then shift them out a bit and see if you tire any quicker or if you have less knee flex or can't shift your balance around as easily.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i am just under 5'10'' but i have a long back and short stumpy legs which i would imagine if they are to wide it will hurt my knees...? i will have a look at the biinding this afternoon...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ajc2260626, it's your feet that go in the bindings, not your knees. That's probably why they hurt.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nice wink maybe i am not as short as i thought then? i just need to stand up!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cheers guys.....

hey steveomcd, hows the chalet going? we stayed with you about 4 years ago ? it was your first season...... it looks like you are going from strength to strength.....

andy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ajc2260626, yeah pretty good! 4 big chalets (and one little one!) these days, plus the summer MTB business is just crazy busy!
snow report
sounds like you are living the dream! are you still taking the guests to the other ski areas in the vacinity... espace killy , les arcs etc? i am in tignes for the first two weeks in feb if you are going to be up that way....
latest report
ajc2260626 wrote:
i am just under 5'10'' but i have a long back and short stumpy legs which i would imagine if they are to wide it will hurt my knees...? i will have a look at the biinding this afternoon...

You are James "Woodsy" Woods. I claim my £5

snow report
Measure Knee cap to the floor plus the width of your hand for extra steez. I'm 6 foot, ride 62cm. Used to be 67cm for maximum steez, was useless.
latest report
stab wrote:
Measure Knee cap to the floor plus the width of your hand for extra steez.

The other 'anatomical option' is to us the elbow to finger tip. I use the centre of the binding plates as the reference point.

Now, what about fore\aft positioning ?
ski holidays
Quote:

what about fore\aft positioning

So that your boot is centered. A little bias towards the heelside isn't a bad thing.

You mean heel/toe BTW (I presume). Fore/aft (in instructor-speak at least!) is nose/tail.

If you do actually mean fore/aft, then I'd use the suggested position on the board, usually about 20-25mm back unless it's a twin-tip park board.
snow conditions
Fore/aft . . . it's where the drip off yer todger lands if you don't shake . . . anywhere between an inch or two behind the mid-point.
snow report
Fore/aft positioning for me depends on conditions. If it's hardpack and piste cruising then centred or 'default', which would be 25mm back on my Anthem. If it's dumping/dumped and a powder day I shift back a set or two of holes to keep my tip up.
ski holidays
i have have got the middle hole of the 5 selected at the mo and am thinking about setting them to 15 degrees......
latest report
Set every board up as true twin, if you suffer in powder then you aren't going fast enough.
ski holidays
another question.... i t looks like that the bindings on the board are large, my feet are 7.5 so i am guessing that really they should be medium bindings? if this is the case does it matter that they are large?
ski holidays
Depends on the brand and boot. Nitro and Burton start large at uk10ish, ride do an xl so their large stops before uk 10. Uk7.5 is mondo 26 or 27ish, normally medium binding. Salomon boots are quite long on the outside so can just get away with large bindings.
latest report
salomon boots, rome 390 bindings......? do you think that would be ok?
snow conditions
Need the mondo size, or Jpn size. 27.5 and up you should be ok
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mondo 26.5........ if they are too big whats the downside?
snow conditions
Medium size salomon bindings for 26 or 26.5cm salomon authentic series boots ie savage dialogue synapse malamute (both 26 an 26.5 boot sizes are exactly the same boot.... no length difference just the insole thickness volume changes.)

Rome may have 2 or 3 binding sizes you need to check this but my guess would be a rome medium and they possibly only do two sizes.

I use the smallest binding possible I often can lift the board off the ground straps undone with a matched same brand boot and binding fit... it means less strap pressure, more responce but keeping the ice out is tough on gloves when running lifts in powder.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy