Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet hotel Les Melezes, Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Tignes in a few weeks, staying at MontainSun's Chalet Melezes in Les Boisses. Any SH have experience staying there ? Any tips ? Is it genuinely ski in / out ? I am renting skis and boots from them - are these decent quality ? Am aware there is a bar in the hotel and we are a group of 18 so should make our own 'entertainment' but any other bars or après in Les Boisses? I see there is a free bus to the main areas if needed. Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
damobloke1, I've stayed there several times, but not in winter season, so can't answer about the ski in/out but I think if you do a search others have answered that question - I think it depends on snow cover and your skills. There's not much in Les Boisses but with 18 of you you should certainly be able to make your own "entertainment". The Melezes offers exceptional value. I've used their skis (fine) but not used their boots because I have my own.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, you can ski pretty much to the door when you know where to peel off. In the morning you just have to walk to the end of the road to get onto the piste down to the gondola. But as Pam said there's nothing else there, so good job the hotel has a bar! Either that or on the bus to the other parts of Tignes.
Didn't rent their gear so can't comment on it, but it didn't look like there was a huge selection when I was there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,
We've stayed there several times and always managed to ski back to the chalet, even late season and it's a really short walk down the road to the piste in the morning. The bus stop is just down the road too and buses are regular and free (with lift pass) so going out in the evening not a problem. You will have a great time!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
damobloke1, When will you be there? Self and Bogus Junior will be there 6 February. We've been there before and I would say that it's reliably "ski to within a short walk" rather than ski in ski out. We have used their skis and will do again. No problems, and very helpful with it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies. Seemed to tick all the right boxes for us, so looking forward to it.

Bogusman, We arrive on the 2nd Feb so our dates do cross over. Our group evolves each year with some who have skied together before joined by other new people picked up off various Internet forums (aged 40s -60 so shouldn't be too rowdy for other guests!). Think we recruited about 8 new guys off Snowheads this year. Have to look out for each other !
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
damobloke1, You will have no worries on the ski-in front if you have a sense of adventure, and if conditions allow you can ski down the road in the morning.

Their rental kit is good - but there might be an issue if all 18 of you have the same shoe size.

The food is 'fine' (imagine your wife saying 'fine').

It's noisy but then as you're a big group I doubt that's a worry. As others have said Boisses/1800 is dead as a dodo and the (one an hour) bus to tignes (not exactly jumping but at least with a pulse) is your best bet.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
damobloke1, Father and son arriving for a four day trip on the 6th. No doubt we will see you in the bar. Real names are Ian and James. I'm in your age range. James naturally is not Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bogusman, damobloke1, just returned from a week at Chalet Melezes. Even in the limited snow conditions we face you could ski back to within a road's width of the front door and as other posters have said getting to the piste in the am is no problem either. Food was a bit hit and miss some peculiar fascination with aubergines which is great for those who embrace the veg but I don't! Skis and boots are about 90E for a week and are OK but not new stock. The Chalet has plenty of staff and Greg and Ellie are the main points of contact. Have to say that other staff did not appear that bothered in client care but that will not stop me going back. Perhaps I was spoilt at Mountain Sun's San Cassiano's chalet in 2010 where we were treated like VIPs.

Anyway the snow is falling and I am jealous of you both!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi. Been to Les Melezes loads of times. Great place, great manager (Ellie). You have to walk about 100m to join the piste to Breviere lifts but can ski back to the hotel. Free buses to Tignes and Val D'Isere and the hotel will get you around too. Enjoy - I am trying Mountain Sun's new place in Badia this year
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Free buses to Tignes and Val D'Isere

If there's a free bus to Val D'Isere I've never found it. But otherwise agree completely about the Melezes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're going to Chalet Dominique on 1st of feb (my 41st birthday). Not sure where that is in relation to Les Melezes, never been to Tignes before...

Pippa and Dylan in real life. If we bump into each other, I'll be sporting my new bright yellow mid-life-crisis trousers. Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the question of free buses to Val D'Isere, you should be able to catch one at Tignes le Lac Bus Station, where the free bus to and from Les Melezes calls
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bogusman wrote:
I'm in your age range. James naturally is not Very Happy

.... Unless you're at the top end of our age range and James is your 40 yr old son ! But then, when we hit that age, we'll probably only be invited along to babysit the grandchildren.....

Look out for us in the bar etc, tag along on the slopes too if you need some adult company.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 9-02-14 23:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For entertainment there is also the Cordee bar, run by Michele, which is a 5 minute walk down 'The Path of Doom". This is a steep footpath 50m along from Melezes (next to the street light). It can be icy or it can be 120cm deep in snow, hence the name! It can be well worthy the walk if they have a band on. Otherwise, the bus into Tignes Le Lac is free and only 15 minutes.

The hotel used to bung the piste basher drivers to piste the 100m up to the hotel. I don't think the piste basher drivers drink there these days, so it's a little bit 'off piste' to take the shortest route back. It gets tracked out quite quickly and so gets much easier, if you don't like skiing in powder. Or just walk back from the bus stop, 100m away. It's really no drama.

Les Melezes is a great place and I have been going there for at least once a year, for about 8 years. The bar is a lively place before dinner and the whole hotel has a really good vibe. I like the hotel a lot and like the way Ellie runs things.

Aubergines are a new thing. Not sure about them, though Confused
snow report
Have to say, my experience is similar to that of simonmj66, ski back to within the road width away from the hotel was fairly straight forward, kit hire was not great - limited stock and fairly well worn. Bar area comfy and good to relax in. Told the hot tub and sauna were good. Worse thing was the food, ranging from inedible to average. No aubergines but lots of undercooked veg.....

Went to find the bar as per recommendation from bar shaker, but was closed. French chap we bumped into said it had closed down, having described it as a 'crazy place'!
ski holidays
There are free busses from Le Boisses/1800 to Tignes Le Lac. There are no free buses from 1800 or Le Lac to Val D'Isere. There is a paybus which runs to a set timetable. Details here:
http://www.mobisavoie.fr/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy