Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Ski helmets - of questionable value" - the view of a physicist, engineer, and on-off user

Poster: A snowHead
abc wrote:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97209

The thread author has linked to and quoted a news article, and do not themselves state an opinion. The article does indeed end with a couple of pro-helmet quotes... is that enough to make the person referencing it 'preachy'?

abc wrote:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72982

Uh, I'm gonna have to invoke Poe's Law on that one wink

abc wrote:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33495

Yep, you got me on this one.

abc wrote:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38612

The very first sentence of the thread: "I am not saying you need to wear one"

----

So, that's unambiguously identified 2 threads in 7 years where the poster explicitly says that other people should wear helmets. Bit of an overwhelming tide of proselytising, innit Sad

Wait, were you actually complaining about the very existence of pro-helmet wearing threads? Y'know, the sort of information that might actually help people to make their own informed decisions about whether they should wear a helmet or not?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FWIW I think CG is just the King Canute on this one. Regardless of technical merits, the helmet wars are over, The evil empire has won. I counted people in recent US lift queue and estimated that non-helmet wearers were at most 1 in 12 (1 person per 3 chairs). Fair sampling lift as a return lift from a variety of terrain the only types excluded would be absolute beginners and extremo always take the outabounds route home hardmen.

BTW I'd characterise the holdouts from my totally unscientific survey as hipster snowboarders and a few old(skool) farts
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob wrote:
FWIW .... the helmet wars are over, The evil empire has won.
I'd not argue with that. Indeed, in the US celebrities rode into trees drunk before ours fell on her head on the bunny hill, so they're ahead of the UK at least.

However these fashions come and go - wait 10 or 15 years and your helmet may seem as archaic as your mountain bike does in the days of single-speed hipness...

That however is to confuse different arguments:
(1) the lack of effectiveness of helmets according to the data;
(2) the utility of telling other people over whom you have no control what to do;
(3) fashion.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serriadh wrote:
So, that's unambiguously identified 2 threads in 7 years where the poster explicitly says that other people should wear helmets. Bit of an overwhelming tide of proselytising, innit Sad

Once you exclude all the threads started by Goldsmith, how many anti-helmet threads can YOU identify by non-helmet-wearer?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abc wrote:
Once you exclude all the threads started by Goldsmith, how many anti-helmet threads can YOU identify by non-helmet-wearer?

Should I take that to mean you're retracting your previous comments about the pro-helmet oppressors?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In ValGardena and surrounds this week, about the only people not wearing helmets are a few elderly Italian gents. It is not as DG so often presents some conspiracy aimed at the UK punter.

Also, v. little skiing to the sides of pistes - the Schumaker effect ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scrumpy, I've noticed before that not a lot of off-piste skiing seems to happen in the Dolomites.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Serriadh wrote:
abc wrote:

Should I take that to mean you're retracting your previous comments about the pro-helmet oppressors?

If you read what I posted in response to, you would see I made that comment to contrast the allegation of anti-helmet oppressors:

Quote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
It's always struck me as slightly peculiar that the anti-helmets seem to be more vociferous in their arguments than the pro-helmets who seem to be more relaxed. Maybe that's just a personal perspective

It IS your personal perspective. I perceive the anti-helmets are more relaxed and the helmet advocates quite vociferous Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:
If you read what I posted in response to, you would see I made that comment to contrast the allegation of anti-helmet oppressors:

abc wrote:
Helmet wearers seem to spend their time telling everyone else to wear helmets

And yet you meant it seriously enough to try and retrospectively justify it wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does anyone takes helmet debates seriously? Really???
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OFFSAKE!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OFFSAKE!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

abc: "Does anyone takes helmet debates seriously?"
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
Does anyone takes helmet debates seriously? Really???

Perhaps you should take a leaf out of CG's book... if anyone brings up the lack of evidence for one of your claims, say nothing and never mention it again wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm going to wear a helmet in future ... and go to church every Sunday!

I wasn't wearing one the other Sunday in Kicking Horse .. I forgot to take it with me.

I had a crash with another skier .. it was my fault (I was behind and chasing) we were both going too fast and he made a sudden left turn across me ...
The inevitable happened .. but we both survived ...
He has a couple of cracked ribs .. and I had a ringing in my ears for ten minutes.

I was saved by my "news boy" tweed cap. (66.2 kph at impact ... oh dear!)
latest report
I never wear a helmet, the only time I wear one is when on my bike, ( motor not peddle) . I don't like them.
latest report
biddpyat, "pedal" - unless you mean it's for sale - rather proves Darwin was on the right lines Shocked
latest report
Masque wrote:
OFFSAKE!

That can be a problem with any fermented product. It's best to use new, clean yeast not just old, smelly, helmet liner scrapings.
latest report
I mean what some would call a push bike, or the like Scrumby. Darwin has nothing to do with it , it is a term of speech used about these parts quite a bit. On the point of helmets they protect your head of course they do, but other organs equally important are often not protected. Why some feel the need to get irate because they chose to wear one , and someone else doesn't amazes me. Why not go the full hog, and wear back protectors , knee pads , and elbow pads. ? Heck if you run into a tree you could damage the softer organs in the body so perhaps a full armour is really what is needed to be safe. I may even take up wearing helmets on tropical holidays after all I could get hit by a falling coconut.
latest report
Quote:
I may even take up wearing helmets on tropical holidays after all I could get hit by a falling coconut.

Interestingly, Darwin spent a lot of time in the tropics but these days, exposure to tropical risks are pretty much everywhere. I mean, I could contract a tropical disease by fornicating with a coconut but I probably wouldn't wear a condom to Tesco in case I got horny.
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
allanm, dont worry, I do wear a helmet. On the MS thread I think I actually said that I started wearing a helmet as I made the kids wear one so why wasnt I? I was just having a joke, re. the shops, but the point is reasonably valid - young children are not as well equipped as adults to make crucial decisions to keep them safe (oooo, this is potentially a whole new can of worms!).

They are also more vulnerable to brain injury.

Jonathan Bell
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy