Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Give a realistic opinion of how good a skier you are

Poster: A snowHead
Stanton, they don't make em like that anymore snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I missed the call for pictures, don't have many of them because I'm normally the one snapping but here's my little accumulation of mediocre skiing which 90% of Snowheads have probably already seen. I described myself as:

Quote:
Personally I'm okay, probably ski better than most people on the hill but no where near as well as I would like which is why I'm constantly trying to ski better and more confidently. I'm totally rubbish in the park.

Freeride Comp on Dynafits:

Coming back up after laying it out in Japow:

The big turns here:

This was most likely a first descent:

Videos and stuff in the links in my signature.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm good enough to know I'm cr*p... and likely to remain so for the forseeable future!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A few years back an instructor friend deconstructed my technique, sadly it appears I missed the lesson when he was due to reconstruct it. As long as I can get down whatever I fancy without damaging myself or anyone around me I'm generally happy, life's too short for skiing drills imho.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick D wrote:
life's too short for skiing drills imho.

I used to thiink that until I did the IO course in Dec.
you either choose to wate no snow time in drills - and stay at level A
or invest the time and move to level B
I have enough holidays ahead of me that I should enjoy skiing better so worth the investment of time - for others I can understand why it won't be - and a lot depends on the level A for each individual skier

Alasdair

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 18-01-14 18:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick D wrote:
life's too short for skiing drills imho.

Life's too short for not skiing drills. I'm obviously one of the strange ones, I love doing drills.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

life's too short for skiing drills imho

Unless you're an unusual (or unusually anti-social) skier you will spend some time skiing easy runs with friends or family who like to go slow. Or skiing down some of those "valley runs" at the end of the day. Or waiting for somebody to make a phone call, or adjust their boots, or find other ways to faff. Ideal opportunity for some drills. Even going up a drag lift.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Unless you're an unusual (or unusually anti-social) skier you will spend some time skiing easy runs with friends or family who like to go slow

Very true. Great opportunity to be skiing on one ski / the wrong ski / etc
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jedster, Of course I do that sort of stuff, skiing switch etc. just spent a lot of hours back in the day on the dry slope skiing like I had a ski pole up my ar$e (some say I still do!) so not keen to devote much time to those kind of repetitive drills.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

those kind of repetitive drills

I guess there are good drills and bad drills? Some are quite fun.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On the Inside Out scale I'm at 9.01, the video of nine i could match comfortably and on a good day (ok, very good day) I'm more like a 10. Unfortunately the very good days are few and far between so 9.01!!

Started as a teenager and skied every year until thirty then twice a year since. Now 47.

Hang on, shouldn't I be better????
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick D wrote:
...just spent a lot of hours back in the day on the dry slope skiing like I had a ski pole up my ar$e

don't even suggest that to Rob or Scott - I am sure they would be delighted to add it into their training!

Alasdair
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
akirk, Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lol. clenching the pointy end might be useful for curing back seat skiing. Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB wrote:
stanton,

I didn't realise you were so old and a Nazi wink

Laughing Laughing
latest report
I see a lot of people using the inside out scale and thought i would have a look as i have never seen it before! Boy we have a lot of good skiers in the 10 plus bracket, way more than i expected even on a forum like this. At the not so young age of 44 and carrying a knee injury from a Slalom race accident in 2001 where i ruptured my ACL i would be happy to sneak in at the 10 mark these days. I can still beast it on the groomed line and am happy to float through any depth of powder but the required level of freestyle skills and bump skiing to truly say i am any higher i wouldnt risk trying with the dodgy knee.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
jimmer wrote:
ssh, fine, then don't post pics. It wasn't a call out, just thought most people at that level would have a few photos and it'd be cool to see them.

Though an American, ssh was an instructor at one of the EOSBs, was well rated by those who skied with him, and turned in one of the fastest times in the race. It's possible he was fastest, he was one of the clutch if instructors whose times dd not count for a race place. He also went off and did roughy toughy stuff with easiski at Les Deux Alpes after the Bash. Just because he doesn't need skiing pics to boost his ego as a skier, doesn't mean he's not well up there on terms of ability. I'm not in his league, but FWIW, I don't think I have any pics of me actually skiing taken since the 80s.

Err, I never suggested ssh wasn't a good skier, just said everyone claiming to be 11/12 should post pics, which I don't think is really that crazy as everyone has a camera these days. If having pics of me skiing is boosting my ego, then fine, who doesn't like an occasional ego boost anyway?
snow conditions
a.j. wrote:

I think I'm an 8, but will leave IO to let me know in a couple of weeks snowHead

Lets compromise @ 7.5 shall we Embarassed Skullie

http://youtube.com/v/q5GwqaoZ2zU

I swear I'm neater in resort, hemel is hard work!

aj xx
p.s That snowploughing guy was fine, we weren't as close as we look Wink
latest report
a.j., that looks like 8 to me and perfectly neat. The snow looks horrible.
snow report
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=610230599044691&set=vb.114153278652428&type=2&theater

for some level 11 / 12 skiing
snow report
Thanks Pedantica Smile It was late in the day at Hemel where it gets a bit choppy. One major challenge is timing to avoid all the chaos - there was some novel skiing/flailing going on around us Shocked

aj xx
ski holidays
Pedantica, +1 I like the word neat, I think 'deliberate' applies too. It was lovely and controlled and very constant, I'd be happy to have that consistency.
snow report
rungsp wrote:
I can't believe that nobody has said it yet, so I will:

I am the best skier on the mountain.

"and so is my wife!..."

11 here, but a bit out of practise Confused Blush
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy