Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Give a realistic opinion of how good a skier you are

Poster: A snowHead
I think I'm an average skier but with a differant attitude to most.

For me I know I'll never win any down hill medals or be of a pro standard, so I just enjoy it, I'm not interested in getting to the bottom quickly.

I'm interested in getting to the bottom and haveing as much fun as I can doing it, i did a Basi course in the army, and have pretty much skied ever since, I never do black runs, I really don't see the point in them( they are just there because that's how mountains are shaped ) other than for one skiers ego to tell people " I skied a black run"

And I wish ski instructors would take people from one side of the piste to the other, and firmly believe you shouldn't be allowed off the lower slopes until you can show you can STOP under control, and can demonstrate a degree of acceptance of other people around
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
akirk wrote:

- all the pisted runs on the mountain (have you seen some - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/4444186/The-worlds-scariest-ski-runs-terror-at-the-top.)

Corbet's Couloir, Its really an ego thing...to say you done it . tts nothing. A jump & two quick turns with the a safe long run out, big deal !!

Being an Amercian ski Area it would not be a open to the public if it was not safe.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

spot on. you could actually apply this to any sport in the world. Everyone has a level and then there are those who are the best and all others pale into insignificance.

The scale is exponential at the top end I reckon. Take away the pros, and I'm often surprised about how few people I see that are skiing better than I can. But when I see one of those who are obviously better it's like they are doing a completely different sport. When I did a heliski holiday in 2006 the other clients were four Austrian guys the same age as my mate and I (mid 30s). Three of them were a bit better than us but one guy was in a completely different class. He was on skis but apparently has been sponsored as a snowboarder. He was so fast and fluid all over the mountain but I particularly remember him doing a back flip in full crucifix position off a lip.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jedster wrote:
The scale is exponential at the top end I reckon.

So true. There's always a bigger fish.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jedster wrote:
Take away the beginners, and I'm often surprised about how few people I see that are skiing worse than I can.

This, sadly, is the version for me!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jedster wrote:
Quote:

spot on. you could actually apply this to any sport in the world. Everyone has a level and then there are those who are the best and all others pale into insignificance.

The scale is exponential at the top end I reckon. Take away the pros, and I'm often surprised about how few people I see that are skiing better than I can. But when I see one of those who are obviously better it's like they are doing a completely different sport. When I did a heliski holiday in 2006 the other clients were four Austrian guys the same age as my mate and I (mid 30s). Three of them were a bit better than us but one guy was in a completely different class. He was on skis but apparently has been sponsored as a snowboarder. He was so fast and fluid all over the mountain but I particularly remember him doing a back flip in full crucifix position off a lip.

Agreed and I've noticed that some people are naturally good at taking air - they seem to always land on their feet like cats. But unfortunately I've never been confident in the air (despite having very good balance on the ground) in both skiing and mountain biking. It just scares me to be honest and never comes naturally. A few years back I bought a trampoline to train on, which has helped a little, but jumping is certainly not my forte. Backflips are certainly well beyond my ability.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

stanton: "Corbet's Couloir, Its really an ego thing...to say you done it . tts nothing."

You're such a hero, it's unbelievable.

Is that Dutch mountain ready yet?

Brainstorm in the Dutch mountains
http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/brainstorm-dutch-mountains
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On the Inside Out scale, I'd be a 5 skiing, and if there was an equivalent scale for snowboarding, would be an 8.5-9.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FWIW I have seen some pretty bad skiers that can throw a good backflip in the park. Once you get to a certain point there isn't a linear progression but one that branches out into lots of different areas all of which have different skillsets and a lot of them don't actually require you to be that good a skier in the sense that the level of skiing skill is super high.

The really good skiers aren't usually the ones that just ski what flatters them or what they find easy but the ones that go out of the way to ski the stuff they find difficult.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey, stanton, I can't believe you're a pro: I'm WAY better than you
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm somewhere in the vast gap between IO level 8 and 9. I've passed my BASI level 1 (but done nothing with it) and can ski pretty much any marked run comfortably unless it's a sheet of ice. My off piste technique is more or less non existant in steep powder and I lack fluidity in moguls. Finally I haven't skied for two years. i've got 10 days skiing in Switzerland coming up shortly (zermatt and Andermatt) it'll be interesting to see how far I've regressed.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Charliebigpotatoes,

Your free (hopefully) to believe what you want. Goodluck.

Comedy Goldsmith,

It really isnt a big deal 25years ago & you do not need a helmet.
The only difference nowadays is you have to line up (like A lift line) to
take your turn. Then later in the Mangey Moose your hear all the fatty city (NYC,LA,London) slicks
getting all excited "I done Corberts".
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton, I dictate the sickest poo-poo that goes down, so yeah boi, I'm free. Just no one else is.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Charliebigpotatoes wrote:
stanton, I dictate the sickest poo-poo that goes down, so yeah boi, I'm free. Just no one else is.

Bet your the hardest person in your bedroom.

Unless your mum is cleaning up after you
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Your free (hopefully) to believe what you want. Goodluck.

[laughs] It took me some time parse what you probably meant there - please tell your mum that you really do need to finish the English classes.

Dropping off things is actually not the same as skiing. Indeed, so long as you can get to the cliff, you don't need any ability what so ever.

Undoubtedly 13 year olds are best at it. although not even 13 year old girls care much.
latest report
Megamum, I've had 3 trips away in total, the first one was probably 8-9 days skiing, the second was a week so 6 days of skiing and the last one was 9 days skiing. So 23-24 days in total.

I've had a lot of tuition though. On each trip I've had at least 3 full days of private lessons plus the level 1-4 course at a snowdome.
snow report
Probably just a 7 here, but enjoy trying to get better. Had a couple of 1/2 day group skills sessions with New Gen in Vallandry last week, which proved how much more I need to work on technique.
ski holidays
v1cky24, Then I guess you that explains your progress, enjoy your next trip Very Happy
snow conditions
I would say I'm a strong 6 by the end of the week or 2 but I haven't skiied in a few years so that might have changed.
snow conditions
I think I've progressed to an 8 since the start of this thread Laughing
snow conditions
HoneyBunny, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
If you only ski groomers your Not really any good at all.

SKIING GROOMERS SHOULD BE LAST ON YOUR LIST of being able to Master.

If you cant feel or control your skis in

Bumps
Deep POW
Steep Chutes (jump turns)
Breakable Crud
Slick Ice
Heavy Slush
Skin Up ( Earn your Turns)
High Altitude Skiing (4500-8000M)

Old Style Free Skiing without Helmets,Backpacks etc!

All of the above in Flat Light you have not really got pass kinder ski school..

I know you're probably trolling, but really? You suggest people ski at high altitude before they learn how to ski groomers? I've skied over 4500m in the Andes and the Himalayas, but I know a lot of great skiers who haven't.
snow report
jimmer wrote:

I know you're probably trolling

Laughing wink
latest report
Quote:
This thread is worthless without pictures. Anyone claiming 11 or 12 should post pics!

Probably an 11

[/URL][/img]
ski holidays
marmotte16 wrote:
jimmer wrote:

I know you're probably trolling

Laughing wink

No for once I don't think our cloggie friend is. It's a valid point - if you are only measuring ski ability in terms of piste skiing then there is a massive spectrum of skiing beyond that and groomers no matter how steep are only really a tiny bit. Skiing moderate off piste is a bit further etc. That's why scales like IO are exponential - you can get to L 9 or 10 relatively easily but still be light years away from a 12 or 13. I've skied with a couple of 13s and they really are unbelievable in what they can do effortlessly.
latest report
haha I thought 11-13 was a joke! thought it just went to 10!
snow report
dulcamara, you definitely look about 11 Razz
latest report
Probably a 9 ?
Me that is ..... snowHead

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 14-01-14 19:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm poo-poo, or at least I think I am, level 7 I think. Had a couple of hours properly back on skis (I don't count nursery slopes) for the first time in several seasons, seems I can still parallel (although I am still occasionally lifting my right foot during turns) and did fine on the bumps until my fitness (or lack of) failed me. By the end of the season I will be better.
snow report
jimmer,

I should of left that one out. Most City folk have difficulty breathing and exercising at 1500M Very Happy
snow report
meh wrote:
FWIW I have seen some pretty bad skiers that can throw a good backflip in the park.

I've seen technically poor one-trick-pony skiers billy-goating down 55 degree, you fall you die, slopes too. And they didn't die.

I can ski the whole mountain... probably places IO ski instructors wouldn't go but on their scale I'm about an 8. Maybe.
snow report
davidof wrote:
... probably places IO ski instructors wouldn't go
Most certainly true.
davidof wrote:
... but on their scale I'm about an 8. Maybe.
Far too modest!
snow report
Thats me, the biggest of the small blobs on the mountain, I have no idea what level I am.

snow report
rob@rar wrote:
but on their scale I'm about an 8. Maybe.
Far too modest![/quote]

No I don't think so. I looked at the videos and there is some very precise technique being demonstrated at each level. I'm a strong skier but not a great skier.
snow conditions
Interesting to read this thread, we really put a lot of thought and hard work into creating a broad scale that people could identify with and the video's were tough to compile to highlight typical strengths and weaknesses at each level. If anyone at 8+ would like to post some video it would be great to see as it is difficult to focus in on non technical issues such as snow conditions, light, steepness etc. and confidence which is hard to capture. At the higher levels skillful skiing becomes less about technical ability and more of a balance of other factors like tactical choices, physical athleticism, psychological state of mind and even equipment selection and set up.

I would never by choice ski the places that davidof goes to for fun as they would scare me witless but I have had to put myself into some of those places on training courses. At the time my skiing probably didn't look as awful as I felt when doing it and the guides wouldn't really know how bad I felt. Does that limit my skiing "level"? On the other hand I have skied at very high speeds on horribly rutted icy injected race courses that would have resulted in injury with even the smallest mistake. I performed poorly but yet still gunned it, so how does that sit? I have never tried a 360 through fear of injury, does that make me a poor skier or just define my own self limitations?

We do have a set of questions we also ask people prior to coming along on a coaching holiday and that helps identify psychological and physical issues that may hold back people and get them into the correct training group and this balanced with the self selection of ability level is pretty accurate.

I have been skiing and training very hard for two months and I am a better skier today than I was last week. For me gradual continual improvement and bigger grins at the end of each week is the most important thing, but that is just me...
ski holidays
skimottaret,
Quote:

For me gradual continual improvement and bigger grins at the end of each week is the most important thing, but that is just me...
No, not just you, I would guess that most people who have skied under your and Rob's tuition feel the same.
latest report
Quote:

I'm a strong skier but not a great skier.

I think that's an interesting distinction. I had a couple of interesting descents last year. One in Voute in la Grave, where we had misjudged the abseil slightly and one on Pyramide in Alpe d'Huez where we underestimated the degree of wind scouring present on the snow 10m below the entry. That made for an interesting five minutes. But at no point did I think that I couldn't actually do what I needed to do next.

I suck technically. Really, I'm awful. But I am confident in being able to negotiate a wide variety of terrain at a reasonable pace and without falling or getting overly tired. If asked I would say I am good enough to ski the kind of terrain I enjoy skiing - which is in itself somewhat circular - but that I'm never really going to improve. I don't have the time or, really the inclination.
snow report
gorilla, sort of like having a technical niche? I think it needs to be considered in two dimensions. On the first axis there is a breadth of skills and the second is degree of technical proficiency. A strong skier will be technically good in the narrow range of skills they employ. A great skier will be technically good in a broad range of skills.

You could go as far as to add a third dimension for confidence and a strong skier is someone that it technically proficient and confident in a narrow range of skills. For example skiing steeps but being mediocre otherwise you still have confidence in your technical ability to ski something.

</overthinking>
snow conditions
gorilla,

I think you might just need a little more work on that quiet upper body.

http://youtube.com/v/TN38vEWk6mI
snow report
Quote:

sort of like having a technical niche?

I think it is more like being able to make use of what you've got. And not being afraid of the odd tactical stem turn.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy