Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cleaning ski clothes!

Poster: A snowHead
Mundane question I know! But having come back with filthy ski trousers and jackets (mostly from having to grub around and put on snow chains) how on earth can I get the dirt out in the wash? I have never had any success with those bottles of non-detergent wash one is meant to use - clothes never look at all clean. What do other people use please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My step daughter got her jacket and pants stained with oil off the chairlift, thought they were goosed. She rubbed them with a bar of Fairy soap, (pre-treatment bar, it's green) before washing and re-waterproofing. They came up like new. Not sure if you can still buy it as I found it in my folks garage when doing a house clearance and it had been there for yonks.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whatever you do, do not use a regular washing powder! This can form a barrier over the fine technical fabrics and
impair the function of the breathability and waterproofing of the garments.
There are special cleaning products available for ski clothes, I am not sure what is available on the British market, but here(Austria) we use Uni Savon sport wash concentrate and Storm wash in waterproofer. Oil is really tricky to remove though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I also use the Fairy bar on stains as suggested by dode, you can still buy it. I also use pure soap flakes as the detergent if the clothes are dirty as it cleans better than Grangers or Tech Wash in my experience and also maintains the waterproofness unlike detergents. You can buy pure soap flakes in a box as flakes or in a bottle as a liquid, not always that easy to get though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find Tech wash fine (but thought Grangers was rubbish Confused ). I am going to try sarah's suggestion of pure soap flakes next time though Very Happy I have a white collar on my ski jacket which needs extra attention!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
marmotte16, the Fairy bar works a treat on grubby white collars Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, or I could just lose the weight and get into my blue collared one wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marmotte16 wrote:
I find Tech wash fine (but thought Grangers was rubbish Confused ). I am going to try sarah's suggestion of pure soap flakes next time though Very Happy I have a white collar on my ski jacket which needs extra attention!

I'm the opposite, found Nikwax tech wash a bit meh but Grangers good.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marmotte16 wrote:

Or just buy a new one wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I scrub with neat liquid biological detergent, leave to soak for 30 mins, then wash normally, then with soap, then with wash in proofer. The kids gear gets done like this every couple of weeks otherwise the pomas seem to leave suspicious stains...

I've washed all my technical gear (including rucksacks and even tents) with normal detergent when it's really filthy, and never had problems with the proofing. I'm increasingly suspicious that the whole technical soap thing is a bit of a conspiracy...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Main thing is to remove all trace of softener from your machine.

Water repellancy is based on high surface tension, fabric softeners reduce surface tension to make it feel, er, soft.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have removed grease from a ski jacket (also from grubbing around putting chains on and we now always have an old jacket in the car for that job!) by spot treating with swarfega and detergent, rinsed out well. Then washed the jacket in the nik wash stuff using a programme with lots of additional rinses, and completed the process with the wash in proofer and gently tumble dried. Jacket came up very well and is still in use several years (and a couple of more nik washes) later.

I have also successfully removed dirty marks from ski clothing with a bar of vanish soap, again rinsed out well, then washed with the Nik stuff!

I never use fabric softeners in my machine and only non-bio powders, and I always make sure the detergent dispenser and the rest of the machine is thoroughly clean before washing ski clothing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ariel stain remover, it's wonderful stuff. Then Grangers. If it says tumble dry to activate the waterproofing then do it. If not, then drip dry on a line.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dode, When I got oil dripped onto my ski jacket from a ski lift, I was told to take it to the local dry cleaner & reclaim the cost from the skilift company, which I did. That was 8 years ago in Les Arcs - don't know it still applies.
But another vote for Grangers
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
genepi, it happened on our last day, but I will bear that in mind if it ever happens again. We did think about claiming on the insurance but it all came out in the wash wink
ski holidays
Grangers washed all my stuff a treat. It was horribly smelly before and now it's fresh as a daisy and clean. My ski jacket is black but my bright orange ski pants came out really well.
ski holidays
A natural soap to use rather than nikwax , grangers or jack wolfskin products etc is from Dri-Pak its called liquid soap flakes 750ml in the bigger Tesco about £2.50- £3 .
I also use it for merino and synthectic baselayers its uk,s only natural soap .
A lot of the so called wool wash products are just detergent so are not ideal where the dri-pak is a decent size and price for all your outdoor clothing.
Doubtful it will remove oil but it wont mess up the DWR either .
Pomas leave plenty of black marks so I have to use a brush and stain remover even then they never really remove from beige pants..
latest report
This is why it baffles me that anyone buys white salopettes!
snow report
Tirol 164, that's the stuff I use as mentioned up the thread, yes I have had it from large Tescos too. The actual flake stuff is called Granny's or something and that I've had from large Tesco also and places like Home Bargains.
ski holidays
Thanks guys - think I'll try the Fairy bar first! Next time I'm buying dark coloured gear, not girly pink
snow conditions
Tech Wash and Nik Wax has worked for me. Might have more to do with the efficacy of the washing machine than the detergent?
latest report
sarah wrote:
marmotte16 wrote:

Or just buy a new one wink

Blue collar is a new one Embarassed wink Laughing
ski holidays
marmotte16, Laughing
latest report
I use vanish soap on any stains or marks then wash in the machine with non bio liquid and no fabric softener.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy