Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What length of ski, Salomon Enduro XT 800??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

I'm 175cm tall, weight 66kg and am a level 6-7 skier, silver level.

I've decided to buy me this ski, the Salomon Enduro Xt 800, but I can't decide if I should get the 168cm or the 175cm version..

Does the slight rocker tip influence much the ski, would the 168 be too short for me since it has a rocker?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
168cm at your weight IMO.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
maxolina, the 'slight' rocker makes it ski a 'little' shorter so if you want this to to be an ALL mountain ski then 175 should be your ideal length. I'm shorter and (too much) heavier than you and that's the length I tested and loved it but because of my weight only I thought I might need to go up a length for float in the soft stuff. The 168 would make you a lovely piste ski but limit how far you can get in powder.

Raceplate: hmmm, he is light, but quite tall with lots of leverage and he is a strong skier. Might that overpower the ski in soft conditions? no critique, just thinking.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I'm using it I'd say 80% piste and 20% off piste...

I'd dont think I'll ever do much real fluffy powder, I'd say my offpiste will be limited to the zones around or between different pistes, no real backcountry or stuff like that..

Last time I rented a 163 ski and had quite some fun with it, so I'd say 168 will be fine or? I fear that 175 might not be so much fun on the harder pistes...

How much is the rocker going to shorten the ski? More than 5cm?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, my day-to-day ski is the 2010 Tornado Ti in a 173cm. Effectively the same ski without the early rise tip. They lengthened the ski by 2cm to allow for the early rise (which is 2.8cm), otherwise the construction and dimensions are virtually identical. I'm 179cm tall and 90kg and it's rock solid. At the time I bought it, Davee Mercer, the Salomon/BASI guru told me he skis it in a 166cm and he's the same stats as me also.

It's very much an 80% piste ski and crud buster, IMO. Too stiff in the tail for powder skiing so no point compromising it's short turn performance with extra length for an occasional deep powder day. Better to use a different ski on those days.

maxolina, all your lines of thought are correct IMO. 168cm is the right choice for your usage.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Raceplate, agreed +1 the 168 will give him a lot of fun Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am roughly the same height and weight and i have the 168s. Not sure if its my technique or not but I always feel like I am not heavy enough to take full advantage of the skis.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kioksor, They do like to be worked hard
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are they really so stiff?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
maxolina wrote:
Are they really so stiff?

Yes they are very stiff. Have you not tried them yet?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nope there's no place where I could try skis here where I live...
The rentals all have just very basic skis or models from 2-3 years ago...

I've not bought them yet, maybe better so..

What would be a not so hard alternative for me?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
maxolina, What do you want from your skiing? Yes the 800 is targeted at the piste with the ability and width to take a trip into the side country without being troubled. It is stiffer than a ski designed for more time away from the piste.

It does respond well, very well to enthusiastic effort but it is not a rigid plank of wood when you want to be easy with them. They will be very good if you want to improve your skiing.

Edit: the Salomon 24 Hours is a similar shape but without the strength/stiffness of the xt800
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque wrote:
maxolina, What do you want from your skiing? Yes the 800 is targeted at the piste with the ability and width to take a trip into the side country without being troubled. It is stiffer than a ski designed for more time away from the piste.

It does respond well, very well to enthusiastic effort but it is not a rigid plank of wood when you want to be easy with them. They will be very good if you want to improve your skiing.

Edit: the Salomon 24 Hours is a similar shape but without the strength/stiffness of the xt800

Hmm which 24h? The 24h Max?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maxolina, stop panicking. The XT800 is a universally well reviewed ski that is always rated as suitable for strong intermediates all the way up to expert level. You said you're Level 6-7, so unless that's out of 20 they will be good for you. Just buy them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy