Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Splice goggles too big for me?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, I am 14 and I am going to port du solei (the morzine and les gets area, you all know!) in February. I have bought a pair of oakley splices and a frames for the holiday and will be sending back the pair that doesn't fit me as well. The splice' have come but not the a frames. My mum and older brother (who dont know anything about eyewear) say they are too big however my other brother and my friend who have researched goggles say they look ok. Here are the pictures, one with my bike helmet on as I don't have a ski helmet, will just rent. What are your thoughts? Too big?

Here are the photos: http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/EuanFraser/media/image_zps577f0c4c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0[/list]
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/EuanFraser/media/image_zpsc9644b67.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3[/list]

http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/EuanFraser/media/image_zpsa313b1bd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1[/list]

http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/EuanFraser/media/image_zps1418238d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2[/list]
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hard to tell, but I have to admit they do look a touch on the huge side.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
EuanFraser, Mate they look fine, as long as they feel comfortable with no air gaps don't worry about it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They look ok to me - nice goggles, you must have a Saturday job to afford those. Don't wear the tie skiing though Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
foxtrozule you dont think they fit? And thanks guys, need to wait for the a frames to come decide anyway Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
foxtrotzulu,
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also guys, what are your thoughts on the fire iridium lens? Is it ok for lower light conditions? Some people say it's fine, others not.. RUGBY PETER, foxtrotzulu, Nick D,
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Euan, Do you normally wear a helmet? I always think goggles look big without a helmet, and oddly vice versa.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes I will be wearing a helmet, I will be using a rental one. Will they fit?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oakley goggles ARE big no matter who you are for the most part. The A-frames are a bit smaller than the Splices though. I personally wouldn't worry about "how big they look" (Mind you, I've got a big head!) it's part of the "ski fashion" - you get a great field of vision with them and as long as they're comfortable there's no reason you shouldn't pick these over the slightly smaller A-frames. If you decide on the splices then the fire iridium lenses are good for all but when you're experiencing flat light, but at that point there's only a certain amount a lighter lense can do for you anyway. I'd keep try the fire iridium ones on this trip and consider some alternatives for future trips if you feel you need them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used to have Fire iridium lenses in my sunglasses, great for bright light but once in cloud or snow they were a bit pants, used to change them to H.I. Yellow which was my preference in flat and poor light conditions.

I wouldnt worry about the size of the goggles, my son grew about a foot between 14 and 15. Even if they are a bit big now, they will fit in a month Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
EuanFraser, no one here can honestly assess if the googles fit you just by looking at your pics.

When you wear them (without your bike helmet), do they sit comfortably on your face with the foam edges completely in contact with your face all around the goggle frame?

If yes, then they fit even if they look big. As someone else has mentioned, Oakley (plus Smith, Scott and others) look big because they are big in order to provide you with a wider field of view than many of the cheaper brands.

If the foam edge is not in contact with your face all around the edge of the goggle frame, then they are too big.

The fire iridium lens is not great for low, flat light. You need H.I. yellow or H.I. persimmon for that sort of light. There's a handy little tool on the Oakley site that shows the different lens characteristics.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
EuanFraser, Why hire the helmet in resort - are you flying and is the problem luggage capacity? If not then if you can afford the Oakleys why not splurge and get yourself your own helmet that no-one else has worn and then you make sure what you get is compatible with your goggles which you will surely grow into and may as well start using now if there are no 'holes' in the fit - the problem might be the fit against any hire helmet, but you could solve that by selecting your own compatible one to take.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I only have about £35 max to spend could that get me a helmet? I really would like to just hire one but if I can get one which will last a couple of years and fits with the goggles then that is an option. Don't the oakley splice and a frame (haven't come yet) work with all helmets?
ski holidays
I would also rather not spend money where it isn't needed like most people! i.e. If I know the helmet will work with my goggles! I am hiring from intersport in les gets through the chalet with the teen rouge skis land a helmet but there is only a picture and no model of helmet... Any help?
ski holidays
EuanFraser, TBH, it could be anything when you get there. I think I would rather send back the expensive googles, buy a cheaper pair (Bollé ones are great, and vermillion modulator are great for flat light) and spend the difference on a helmet.
snow report
Valid point, in my opinion I would rather have a nice pair of goggles that will both last and be able to have a nicer experience skiing, than a helmet which is a helmet... I don't really see any advanced technologies in helmets... Educate me if I'm wrong. (Just my opinion)

For low light I also have a pair of uvex's goggles with an orange lens (s2 I think) which I have had up until now. I will most likely carry these with me in my pocket for when the light is lower.... Thoughts?
snow report
It would also be a lot of hassle for both me and my mum who would have to go through the tedious ordeal of sending them back.. One of which requires emails to get conformation and then having to wait for 3-4 days to get a full refund... Thanks for the help though everyone, greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know of a helmet that is below £40 and WILL fit?

Thanks Euan Little Angel
ski holidays
Why don't I just bring the goggles to the rental shop and find a helmet that is compatible with them.. The worst comes to the worst I could go to a different rental shop and find one (I think there are two ski set in les gets)....
latest report
EuanFraser, The whole of my family all ski in No-fear ski helmets from sports direct. They are all CE coded and have an adjuster at the back that lets us get a really good fit, they also have good build quality (better than some dearer ones IMHO and have been lasting well. http://www.sportsdirect.com/skiing/ski-helmets Pick one with an adjuster and I don't think you will go wrong.
snow conditions
EuanFraser, well you could, but it just seems odd that you own rather decent goggles, but seem so dismissive of the helmet ownership personally I would rather have my own of both Toofy Grin With a slighter cheaper, but no less functional or less stylish helmet I think you could - see my link above.
ski holidays
EuanFraser, my Bollé googles are not inferior quality by any means, just less expensive than Oakleys. Unless Aldi or Lidl have ski helmets in stock, you are unlikely to get one for less than £40.
ski holidays
EuanFraser, My first helmet was from Trespass and cost less than £30, so it can be done. Personally, I like to have my own – I know exactly what's happened to it, but if you do use a hire shop they usually have a few different models you can try on until you find one that fits. Your own should last a few trips if you look after it, unless you take an impact.
ski holidays
Hi guys what does BOA fit mean? And if someone could find me a helmet under £50 it would be greatly appreciated
snow report
EuanFraser, Did you not check out the link I gave you above?
snow conditions
EuanFraser, BOA fit is a customised system to adjust the helmet to fit you. I doubt you would get one for less than £50 though.
ski holidays
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=106744#2440169

One of the first links in the classifieds if any of these would fit you, have a browse, you may find a bargain...
It seems a bit strange to want to spend all that money on goggles to risk getting an ill fitting helmet in a hire shop. While helmet wearing is personal preference, an ill fitting helmet that you know nothing of its history may well negate a number of the protective qualities of the helmet itself.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My head is 54.5 and would want it to last so those would not fit... I think the helmet idea is good but I don't really have enough money and can't warrant it if I can just rent one. (My dad thinks I'm crazy enough just buying £80 goggles). I must have some kind of obsession, but I really feel that I need/want them and I have been looking at goggles ever since my last ski holiday to the three valleys when my vision was so awful when the conditions changed..There is bound to be a helmet that fits me... Are helmets a pretty similar fit with goggles? And visa Vera, are oakley splice goggles meant to fit with MOST helmets?
ski holidays
EuanFraser, Perhaps because I am not 14 any more, but I would personally have seen a higher priority in your own helmet and a lower amount on the Googles - OK, I'm with your dad in that, but I am another rotten practical grown-up (there are many lovely <£30 goggles on the market). However, you are where you are. Get a 54-56cm Hot Tuna helmet (which should fit as it has an adjuster) for £19.99 from Sports Direct http://www.sportsdirect.com/hot-tuna-ski-helmet-junior-407036 and enjoy your Goggles. The helmet will last you long enough and for £20 you can replace it when it gets batty - it should have paid for itself in hire fees by then.

This one also fits with an adjuster for £25 http://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-ski-helmet-jnr-34-407115
snow report
Lots of goggles 'fit' with a lot of helmets, when I bought my helmet I tried on 5 pairs of goggles each a different manufacturer, and 4 fitted well, and one would have been OK if I was hiring, but pushed a little on my nose, so spent the money on a better fitting pair. I ended up with Scott goggles and a Giro helmet, all in, under £120, because they were the best fit for me, others may find other combos fit better. Sadly, i found that the biggest factor on fit was comfort of my nose!
latest report
EuanFraser, visit TKMaxx, may need to go to a couple of branches but there you will pick up a very decent helmet for under your £50 budget. A lot of big name helmets in there at the moment including POC, Dainese, Smith, Salomon, Pro-Tec. Def get your own helmet if you can, rental helmets are not cool (and could be full of nits Shocked ) Good luck snowHead
snow conditions
Being able to see where you are skiing is pretty damned important, so I'm with EuanFraser on spending dosh on good quality goggles that are optically correct, provide a decent amount of peripheral vision and are appropriate for the light conditions. Most helmets are much of a muchness (as far as protection goes), whatever their selling price, so renting a helmet — in his case — is perfectly acceptable.
latest report
Zero_G, the point I was trying to get across was not about the protection of the helmet, but of the compatibility issue of an expensive pair of goggles with a hired helmet. At least if he was buying one, he could try several and choose the one that suited his goggles best, but there may be little choice when he goes to the hire shop. Bollé are very good quality lenses, sold by my optometrist.
snow report
Hells Bells, I'm not disputing what you said, only validating EuanFraser's rationale for how he channels his limited funds.
snow report
Zero_G, thankyou. Hells Bells, thankyou also, your point is also valid. I am on the fence really, but it's a bit of a gamble going for the hired helmet option although i believe like Zero_G, that having good goggles is superior to a more expensive helmet. I am currently looking at the Smith Holt helmet on absolute-snow.co.uk. I know that the Smith Holt fits with the splices as i have seen a video of someone with them and they fit. Does anyone know of any reasonably cheap helmets (preferably under £50) which are helmet compatible with oakley splice goggles? thanks euan
snow conditions
Thank you Megamum, for the Hot-tuna helmet suggestion. This would be fine, however i do not know if it fits with the goggles.. I may go into a sports-direct with my goggles and try them on. Thank you alsosarah, TKMaxx is also very useful, although there is only one store near me and TKMaxx tends to be a bit hit and miss but i wouldn't think that ski helmets get bought too often so this is also a very likely contender. Does anyone know anything about the smith holt so I can possibly put that to bed..
latest report
EuanFraser, Excellent idea, if you are lucky enough to have branches of TK Maxx or Sports Direct nearby then certainly take the goggles and try some on, as I think we have demonstrated you are likely to easily find suitable styles well within your budget. Even if they don't quite have your size your can try on the style and then order the right size online.
latest report
thanks a lot Smile
latest report
does anyone know anything about the Bolle B-Kids helmet and whether it is compatible with the splices?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy