Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some advice for a friend please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have only once used a tour operator for a ski holiday & that was back in 1983! A friend has asked me for recommendations on TO`s and areas! I don`t really know where to start. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Its for a party of adults aged 20 to 58, all female. One complete beginner and the rest have not skied for many years. She is thinking of Austria in February. I doubt they need a huge ski area but I think ski convenience ie no long walk in boots carrying skies to lifts, would be a priority. Night life does not need to be more than a nice dinner, bottle of wine and maybe an open fire to gaze into!

Thank you in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had a quick look on Igluski and Thomsons the prices seem to include flights, transfers and various food options but say nothing about ski lessons or hire. Is it usual to book these separately?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CaravanSkier, yes, that's fairly usual and usually much better. Your friends might do well to go somewhere where there is a well-recommended ski school with guaranteed small groups (e.g. any of the resorts where BASS have branches, though they are far from the only ones). There are a good many excellent British ski schools in French resorts. for some reason nobody has ever managed to explain to me, they don't seem to exist in Austrian resorts.

The quality of ski tuition is probably the single most important factor for that group (the ones that haven't skied for years will find much has changed).

If it's France, they need to avoid the second half of the month - both Paris and British half terms. Nothing like crowded slopes and lift queues to dampen the enthusiasm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
CaravanSkier, You usually get the option to add ski hire/passes/lessons/insurance etc later in the booking process. We started out in Arinsal (Andorra). Excellent lessons, relatively cheap. Never got exceptionally busy, even in mid term. It wouldn't offer much for the more experienced skiier, but I think it would keep beginners and returners happy for a week. The village is very compact, so no long walks in boots. There is also a free ski bus which runs from one end of the village to the other - journey time of about 3 minutes from anywhere to the main gondola.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crystal do a few deals which are aimed at beginners and include lift pass, skis and lessons as a package.

As to TOs that I rate I found Ighams to be good. I was less impressed by Crystal the one time we used them but that was a while ago and my parents were much happier with them than we were so it could have been a one of.

Given my experience of Esprit I would be happy to try Ski Total in the future when my girls are older as they are sister complained.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah Thornyhill, that makes sense, I was a little surprised by the absence of information on ski hire. lessons and passes etc, thank you.

pam w, I had already mentioned the French and holidays thing, but she would really like Austria anyway. Its a very good point you make about quality of lessons and any further advice about how to find a good, English speaking ski school would be welcome.

NickyJ, thank you for that information, I really have no idea which Companies are good!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My experience is a bit out of date TBH though, as since we had children (my eldest is 7) we have either done DIY or Esprit holidays, and we are booked with Mark Warner for this season.

They also have a descent reputation so probably should have mentioned them, but they strike me as a bit pricey over all, it was just a particular week they had at a descent price when I was looking this time last year (they obviously realised this as that same holiday went up by £1000 a month of so later!)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was wondering how soon she ought to book. I know she won`t want to do a last minute thing, it would worry her too much. Your comment NickyJ, about prices changing makes me wonder if their is an `ideal` time to book?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In my experience either very early - making use of early booking discounts and good if like me you are fussy (particuarly about sleeping arrangements with our girls being young) or last minute if you want best prices, With the deal we booked I think they just made a mistake (that week was term time the year booked it but fell in school holidays for this season).

I booked my Easter holiday for this season in Jan last year. If they are talking about Feb this year? Then it is last minute in my book?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Link

The above link should be £349 per person half board to Niederau[/url]
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry, should have made it clear its 2015 we are talking about. Gosh that is a good price for Feb this year NickyJ, Do you know that ski area?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry no it wasn't meant as a recommendation, just an example they have loads of deals up at the moment. I am sure you will find lots of other options from other TOs as well.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CaravanSkier, I think there's a Snowhead in Niederau who I think is a ski instructor - so an ideal contact. I think her name is Caroline. If you look at the "weather in Niederau" thread she posts there. Rather than risk a big group it might be worth their taking some private lessons - Caroline would be able to advise.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Thank you. I will look into that!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy