Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Having sorted the boots, its the shell time!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some of you may have noticed my post on Boots - after about 13 years, I think I would benefit also from new hard shell. The one I have has been brilliant for everything out of doors including all my ski trips. Its an Alpine Lowe with "tripplepoint ceramic" which was one of the alternative breathable fabric at the time and think it cost about £185 then. Which? had recommended it as one of the best walking jackets and so it has proved to be. Its still going strong but it is time for a change and frankly if I find something as good and robust, I'm happy to pay a premium price.

I'm tempted by the relative simplicity and functionality of Mountain Equipment's Changabang, even at about £400. I'm impressed by the quality and light weight. The only small down side is its about 1 inch shorter than the Alpine Lowe, but presumably that's for more manoeuvrability, when mountaineering (which I don't do). Does anyone have alternative recommendations at this end of the market assuming a reasonably constant price to quality relationship ie you pay for what you get!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin Bell, does that shorter cut really matter?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

assuming a reasonably constant price to quality relationship ie you pay for what you get!

I'm not sure that always holds true.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, you're definitely right. I wouldn't want to pay significant amount extra just for a particular brand name so if the same features and quality were available at a lower price, fine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin Bell, think you have the same jacket I had. Well, still have but no longer wearing. A year and half a go I decided to get a new one. Heck, there is some expensive stuff around! Anyway I ended up buying one from Surfanic for £80 iirc. One thing I never liked about the Lowe Alpine jacket was how stiff and crinkly it is/was. The new jacket is very waterproof (10000 whatsits) has nice big pockets, a good hood, pit zips and a few extra's I like. It's got a longish back (I am tall) but is a bright colour so not greatly conducive to wearing off the slopes. But then I have a plainer waterproof jacket and a down jacket for that. My wife has since bought a Surfanic jacket and all the kids stuff is from there. They do free returns so nothing to lose by trying them out.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Changabang is a great jacket , I've had mine for 7 years and have used it for loads of ski trips and hill walking too.....but.........I've just put it into retirement. Despite careful cleaning it wets out and is de laminating in places so I've decided to replace it. I was looking at a new one in lovely orange but have been swayed by the new Paramo Enduro and liked it in Langdale last weekend and will be trying it on the slopes in a couple of weeks time.
Too much choice and not enough time.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a look at www.skogstaad.co.uk. For good quality low to mid price gear. Norwegian brand.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dan100 wrote:
Have a look at www.skogstaad.co.uk. For good quality low to mid price gear. Norwegian brand.

Just one "a" : http://www.skogstad.co.uk - no connection to gear.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you want anothr Lowe Alpine, they sill exist. They've got through a few hands since you bought your jacket and are currently owned by Equip (as are Rab). They still use Triple Point Ceramic but it's just Event re-branded:

http://www.lowealpine.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=142&gender=203&q=

Having said that, i'd get a Mountain Equipment Tupilak, simpler than the Changabang.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
galpinos, thanks. Presumably you don't mean the "Ultra" version?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy