Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

16 degrees centigrade wax issue

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all , am off to sunny Bansko on Sat 18 th and Sunday is predicted to be a balmy 16 degrees so spring like conditions , wet slushy sugary snow is to be expected. Have just bought a K2 raygun with factory wax applied but think I may be tempted to get it serviced with a warm weather wax . Any advice on this .
Thanks all
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't bother with an especially warm weather wax, just get a universal. It'll probably be good enough, but also remember, that the temperature will change throughout the day, it won't be 16 degrees from the minute you start skiing till you're in the bar at 5pm
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boo907,
Its an extruded base so wouldn't bother.
Mitch
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
as feef, said univeral wax will be fine....better to wax regularly than being specific to condition's. That really is for the racers !!!.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you REALLY want a lick of gogo-juice or motion-lotion, then get a puck of Zardoz and give that a wipe on from time to time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Mitch , what's an extruded base , excuse my ignorance !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some bases are sintered, which is where it's manufactured by compressing fine grains of p-tex together, making the base slightly porous so it can absorb wax.

An extruded base is harder wearing and more solid as it's manufactured by squeezing the molten p-tex through a couple of rollers to make the thin base later. As a result, it's not as porous and won't absorb as much wax.

To be honest, I have no idea what base your board has. Some are sintered, some are extruded.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boo907,

K2 is extruded and as such has very little ability , if any, to absorb wax; any wax applied will remain on the surface & at best stay there for 2 or 3 Km's. Not worth the effort really.

Mitch
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boo907, anyway, bizarrely enough, snow surface will be a remarkably consistent 0C won't it?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name,
Quote:

snow surface will be a remarkably consistent 0C won't it?

Have a google on it; apparently not .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
boo907, anyway, bizarrely enough, snow surface will be a remarkably consistent 0C won't it?

No, it'll depend on the ambient temperature. What is interesting is that where the snow meets the ground will pretty much be 0C no matter what (except, perhaps, in areas of permafrost).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was in canada a couple of years back and the fella laughed when he did my mid trip service - I'd used all temp wax and he suggested cold, since it was around -30 for the two weeks I was there (without windchill).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mitchell, feef, if ambient is 16C, the snow (which will be a mix of ice and water, will be warmer than 0C?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One would assume so in the direct south facing ski slopes but anything north facing or in shade may well be still pretty near to freezing despite the ambient temperature , hence my original post on spring skiing conditions. Not lovely fresh knee deep powder.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There was some distinctly "spring" conditions the week after New Year, with some nice slooshy stuff but also, less enjoyably, some of that "elephant snot" which just slows you down and chucks you over the front of your skis. Zardoz notwax does help, but the effect doesn't last long.
snow report
Thanks feef
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Mitchell, feef, if ambient is 16C, the snow (which will be a mix of ice and water, will be warmer than 0C?

Not necessarily. The ambient temperature just above and on the surface of the snowpack will be at 0 degrees. The actual snowpack could be at 0 or lower. The temperature within the snowpack will vary from near-zero at the surface to colder part way down, and back up to zero at the base.

this is quite a good guide and assessment which includes discussion on snow-pack temperature distribution. It appears to be ripped off from the official MetEd site, but as far as I can see, the content is the same, just free Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy