Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All Mountain Ski Length - 6 ft 1 - 11st (70kg)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

Quick question, I am 6 ft 1(185.42 cm), 11st(70kg) and am looking for some all mountain skis.

I am not that aggressive of a skier, and like to ski a mixture of reds and blues, what length should I get? Control is paramount

Many Thanks

Squirrel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Somewhere between 170-180cm depending on the ski in question.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if you are skiing reds and blues and control is paramount it might be better to look for a piste ski rather than an all mountain ski?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm shorter than you, but about the same weight. My current general purpose skis are 179, and my touring skis are 174. Both are tip-rockered, and get used off-piste quite a lot.

Rocker isn't much use on groomed pistes, so if you're primarily skiing on piste, don't bother with rocker and get something a bit shorter. I know nothing about piste skis, so I can't help you there wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex99 wrote:
if you are skiing reds and blues and control is paramount it might be better to look for a piste ski rather than an all mountain ski?

I thought usage was based around measurements; well that is I found on Elis Brigham

Quote:
As a rough guide use the following:

Piste Chin height to eye level, for easy carving and responsiveness. Longer for extra stability and wider, bigger turns.

All Mountain Nose level to forehead, can also depend on the width of ski chosen.

This makes it seem like I need a longer ski, 180-190 for on piste
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a pair of 172cm Dynastar Legend Sultan 85s for sale that sound like a reasonable fit for an all mountain ski with a bias towards piste. PM me if interested.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flyingsquirrel, you do not need 180cm+ skis. That, for someone currently skiing blues and reds, would be a bad idea. If you want something stable for wider, bigger turns, get a stiffer ski with less sidecut, not a longer ski which will become a royal pain in the backside when trying to pick your way down more challenging conditions (bumps or steeper pistes) - believe me, I've been there.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mistress Panda wrote:
flyingsquirrel, you do not need 180cm+ skis. That, for someone currently skiing blues and reds, would be a bad idea. If you want something stable for wider, bigger turns, get a stiffer ski with less sidecut, not a longer ski which will become a royal pain in the backside when trying to pick your way down more challenging conditions (bumps or steeper pistes) - believe me, I've been there.

Thanks for the advice I will look skis with a relatively wide tail(100mm+)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
flyingsquirrel wrote:
I thought usage was based around measurements; well that is I found on Elis Brigham

Not sure what you mean here. Usage is usage... are you skiing on piste only? Your height very little effect on what you like to ski!

Quote:
This makes it seem like I need a longer ski, 180-190 for on piste

The 'rough guide to ski size' things are all very old, and vague to the point of uselessness. You'd be better off trying a bunch of different lengths of ski at a hire or test place and deciding which you like best, rather than basing a buying decision on an EB chart.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you aren't going to venture off into the off-piste at all I wouldn't bother with "all mountain" skis. Just go for some piste carvers.

Something between 165/175 depending on whether you prefer loads of short turns or more relaxing medium radius turns
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy