Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens / Trois Vallees

Poster: A snowHead
Three chairlifts opened yesterday, serving artificial pistes (almost total lack of real snow). They were the Cascades, Plen Sud and Deux Lacs. Retour and Roc drags also open. Pisteurs have done a good job creating the pistes - no rocks or anything like that, but the surface is quite hard work to ski on.

About 10-15cm (my estimate) of fresh snow overnight, and more falling at the moment.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 10-12-05 16:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So the snowHeads rep for Val Thorens is now in place wink Nice to see you're finally getting some snow... snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Alastair - keep us posted! Our daughter is going out with her uni on 9 Dec and we are following a week later - so lets hope it keeps snowing!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alastair wrote:
Three chairlifts opened yesterday, serving artificial pistes (almost total lack of real snow). They were the Cascades, Plen Sud and Deux Lacs. Retour and Roc drags also open. Pisteurs have done a good job creating the pistes - no rocks or anything like that, but the surface is quite hard work to ski on.

About 10-15cm (my estimate) of fresh snow overnight, and more falling at the moment.

Is that why so few of the webcams are working, I wonder wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The fresh snow has certainly changed the feel of the place, with the mountains taking on a generally white appearance rather than the brown appearance of two days ago. Lower half of the Beranger piste now open, and the Fond piste from the Portette chair.

On piste geologists will be distinctly disappointed, with only a few stones on a short section of the Fond piste - all the rest of the open piste is in good condition. The fresh snow on top of the artificial base is very pleasant. It's decidedly nippy (-15) but the sunshine is nice.

Off piste is clearly still reserved for the geologists.

It looks as though more may open fairly soon - the upper part of Beranger looks groomed, so perhaprs the Funitel will be running shortly.

Pistes not too crowded, although a lot of small racers certainly liven things up. I saw clubs from Les Menuires, Meribel, Courchevel and Valmorel today.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Now the weekend's over, the resort is very quiet. The Grand Fond funitel (but not Peclet) opened yesterday, with just one red run open from the top. Natural snow up there, not man made.

An additional 10cm or so of snow overnight has kept the open pistes in very good condition.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What has happened in Val Thorens? from what I can see on the web cams a lot of snow has disapeered and only 3 greens open today? Alastair can you fill us in?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jimmy38, I reckon its windy and horrid with no skiers about, so they have shut some lifts. Quite a few piste due to open tommorow by the looks of the site,
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jimmy38, it is indeed very windy and horrid; I presume the chairlifts are closed for safety. Plenty of fresh snow expected over the next few days.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The winds were a good deal stronger than I realised at the time of my last posting - 140 km/h winds are difficult to stand up in, while impossible for all lifts. (The Funitel, a VT invention, is by far the most wind-resistant aerial lift but is limited to about 110 km/h winds).

Since I last posted a good deal of snow has been blown away - but it's been more than replaced by fresh powdery stuff. The main Peclet Funitel has opened along with other key lifts like the Moutieres chair. The Cime Caron remains closed, but this is normal for this time of year. Most of the main resort network is now open, although many runs are still off-limits (by which I mean that routes from A->B are generally possible, but not necessarily by the preferred runs). With continuous snow falling, I expect that the resort will be fully open very quickly - and I will be very surprised if the 3V links don't open the day the corresponding resorts do. My day out on on-piste powder today was only spoilt by fresh stuff falling in my face, appalling visibility, and a wayward snowboarder wiping me out from behind and blaming me Evil or Very Mad . The generally busy pistes are due to the Spanish, who will be off in a couple of days.

(For those who don't know, the activity at VT is spurred on by various special weeks; these help to ensure the resort and associated businesses remain profitable over a long season, but can lead to unexpected levels of activity during otherwise calm weeks.) The 'Andros Trophy' (an ice-driving competition) has led to some bizarre behaviour in the otherwise quiet streets rolling eyes .

The situation is so much better than last year that I had hoped to post this season/last season comparison photos. This won't work because while last season's pics would show lots of clear mountains lacking proper snow, this season's pics will show mainly whiteouts and uselessly white panoramas. I will post comparison photos as soon as I can produce pictures that show how the seasons vary.

Anyone heading towards the 3Vs may reasonably take this posting as extremely positive - the atmosphere in VT this week is well beyond the feeling of last year.

Some EOSBers may be wondering how this is likely to reflect on the EOSB. It doesn't. I'm not aware of any correlation between beginniing of season conditions and end of season conditions in VT. All I can say is that VT has probably the best end of season record of any resort (I'm sure someone will prove me wrong Very Happy ), with PG's excellent pictures from the last week of last season in VT proving the point. I'm sorry that I can't find his pics - but avalanche warnings posted in the 'last week' summarise VT's late season conditions over the last few years.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All you need to do is ask!

They are here

2004, not 2005... May 6th and 7th.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, thanks for the correction and the link. I trust the weather is as positive in Les Arcs as it is in VT at the moment.

I must try to come and visit soon - let me know if you're planning to be in the 3Vs in the near future.

All the best....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

(For those who don't know, the activity at VT is spurred on by various special weeks; these help to ensure the resort and associated businesses remain profitable over a long season, but can lead to unexpected levels of activity during otherwise calm weeks.)

Alastair, Thanks for all the info ~ I'm coming to VT this Saturday, so really glad it is looking so positive out there. Do you know if anything 'out of the ordinary' is planned for next week?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiBod, next week is 'boarder week' with extra concerts, etc - this is likely to lead to the opening of additional slopes. Expect a good week. Very Happy

Feel free to PM me if you want to meet up.

Snow update: significant further snow, which continues to fall. Better weather expected in a day or so. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair, Thanks for that - have sent one!
latest report
Heavy snow all day today. No new lifts open today, but I did see the Bouquetin funitel running, which may be a sign that they're preparing to open the links to other resorts this weekend (Meribel and Les Menuires open on Saturday). Weather expected to clear tomorrow Very Happy .
snow report
A report on www.latania.co.uk that the Meribel - Courchevel link will open on Saturday.
ski holidays
Glorious weather after about 1100 today, with lots of good snow - although the pistes were getting a bit mogulled in places due to the excessive number of people on them. The good weather is expected to continue for a few days.

The link to the fourth valley has opened, with skiing from the top of Grand Fond down to the Refuge du Plan Bouchet and the gondola to Orelle running.

Looks like some other links will open soon, with pisteurs working on the Marielle Goistchel piste this afternoon. Cime Caron is also expected to open soon.

I've created a photo album here which I will try to keep updated as the season progresses.
snow conditions
Nice stuff Alastair, Great to see photos of our EOSB destination. Big thank you to our on the spot reporter
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Glad to be of service snowHead .
ski holidays
Links from VT to Les Menuires now open, as well as links between Les Menuires, Meribel/Mottaret and Courchevel. For some reason the Lac de la Chambre link between VT and Meribel isn't open and neither is the corresponding chairlift in the opposite direction, so you have to go via Les Menuires.

The conditions across all three valleys are remarkably good, with good on piste cover almost everywhere. Only noticed a few stones on Mouflon in Meribel and at the top of Combe Saulire in Courchevel. Not all pistes/lifts are open, but with hardly anyone in the place it's easy to get where you want to go. Glorious sunshine as well - what more could one ask for snowHead ?
snow report
To live there ?
latest report
High winds at altitude today closed the link to Les Menuires. The more serious effect was to blow quite a bit of snow off the upper parts of some runs, with some rocks showing in places. Many slopes also very busy - I hope they open some more pistes soon.
ski holidays
Pistes much quieter today (after the weekend). Some slopes in Les Menuires looking a bit bare in places but with very few people around it's not too difficult to miss the bad bits. Those slopes that are open down to St Martin are in good condition. Lovely sunshine all day.

More snow would be beneficial, and this is expected later this week Very Happy .
snow conditions
Good run over to Courchevel today, with empty pistes all around. The picture shows the view from the top of the Altiport at Courchevel looking towards 1850 - hardly overcrowded!

The Mouflon run into Meribel is now outrageously rocky and is more an obstacle course than a piste. Best snow is to be found in the Belleville valley (almost anywhere) and some of the slopes leading into Courchevel 1850. Creux is pretty nasty. Meribel variable - some very good slopes, but generally with more rocks than found elsewhere.
latest report
Just to compare this year with last year, this was the view from my balcony on 15th Dec last year:

and this was the view this morning:

snow report
Alastair, What a comparison. Glad to Hear the Bellville valley is best Very Happy . Sounds like a top up will make for some great skiing. Ta Again
snow report
After a couple of days' fresh snow, on-piste conditions in the Belleville and Meribel valleys are excellent, with the most direct VT->Meribel link now open. Glorious sunshine, but cold: -24 at the top of the fourth valley. More slopes now open in VT. Some of the lower slopes in Les Menuires are a bit icy/rocky but runs down to St Martin are good the whole way.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow remains in generally good condition. Many VT runs perfectly groomed this morning.

La Masse at Les Menuires today: a few stones at the top but the snow absolutely lovely - nice and soft. (The short black between the Masse 1 and Masse 2 gondolas has been reworked to make it a red. IMHO, it's much less nice - and it's got a lot of stones on it at the moment.)

Other pistes in Les Menuires generally in good condition, with a few closed as they're worn out.
snow report
Quote:

Glorious sunshine, but cold: -24 at the top of the fourth valley.

Situation normal then Toofy Grin wink
latest report
Thanks for the snow info Alistair, we're off to Les Menuires on Saturday. We have a learner in our group this year who I guess will be sticking largly to blue runs, from what you've said I'm guessing his best bet is to head over towards Val T for the best snow so he can practice his turns etc without having to worry about rocks and ice etc?
snow report
The_Mac_Daddy, I've just spent the morning over at Les Menuires. Some of red runs above the resort without artificial snow are pretty nasty (a lot of 'tutting' from the ski technician when I took my skis in just now - something about 'beaucoup de travail' rolling eyes ), but the blues and reds with artificial snow are in good condition; there should be plenty there to play on to start with without going up to VT. The Les Menuires piste map shows very clearly which runs have artificial cover.
snow report
Thank goodness for snow cannons I guess Happy Thanks again Alastair!
ski holidays
Sunny and a bit warmer today - nice.

Meribel OK this morning on way to Courchevel, but the run back to Mottaret from Saulire was horrible this afternoon - very icy in places, with rocks.

Courchevel was generally good where open, but some rocky patches in places. Slopes above 1650 very nice on the whole.

The whole area would benefit from a fresh dump, but nothing expected in the next few days.
ski holidays
Christmas entertaining etc. has meant you've all had a weeks' quiet from me - apologies for disturbing the peace again Very Happy . Not been out for the past few days, but I gather that many slopes are very icy and some are looking a bit bare in places. Those slopes with artificial snow are still the best ones to head for. Everyone is hoping for fresh snow.

It's very cold here at the moment, and it's snowing today - although not heavily.
latest report
We got back from Courchevel yesterday eve. In general, it was pretty grim, lots of v. hard snow, ice, frozen grass, rocks, gravel, mud and general poo-poo. It looked as if some new snow might be on the way, though.

There was some decent snow to be had; in general, the VT side of Meribel seemed best. The run from Saulire into Meribel was ghastly yesterday, but the Col de la Loze was OK.
snow report
Just got back from Mottaret today, and can only echo richmond and Alastair. It's pretty grim up there, icy in places, rocky in others, but the occassional gem can be found. Lots of reds and blacks are closed, and the runs back to resort at Mottaret are frankly treacherous. I'm going to be booking another last minute deal for next week (beginning the 7th/8th) and unless things really pick up, then I won't be looking at the three Vs.

Having said that, I did have a good time though.
snow report
Virtually continuous snow for the last couple of days means that - when the weather clears a little - there should be some really good skiing on the way. Road up from Moutiers closed for a while yesterday due to an avalanche somewhere below St Martin - unfortunate on a transfer day! Woken by the sound of avalanche blasting yesterday and today, which is novel as there hasn't been much need recently, but the visibility is virtually zero at the moment with more snow.
ski holidays
Quote:

the visibility is virtually zero at the moment with more snow.
That shouldn't discourage a seasoned seasonnaire like yourself! wink Very Happy

Alastair, I'm off up to La Ros, road conditions permitting in a moment, but should be in Les Menuires next week, fancy a genepi?
latest report
PG, sounds good - will PM.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy