Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which of these All-Mountain skis is best for an advanced level skier?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

So after having skied for about 4 years when I was younger (age 12-16), I just recently got into skiing again (I'm 19 now).

I'd say I'm a level 7-8 skier , here in Italy you say Advanced Silver.

I'm looking for a good All-Mountain ski, i'd say about 70/30 on piste/off piste, with which I can get better, so it should neither be too beginner friendly nor too expert level.

I've narrowed down my search to just a few models, which one do you think is best / fits my needs best?
If you have something much better that comes to your minds feel free to tell me!

The options are:

- ATOMIC NOMAD BLACKEYE TI
- HEAD REV 80 PRO
- SALOMON ENDURO XT800
- VOLKL RTM 81
- K2 AMP 80 XTI (or 82 I don't know a lot about k2)
- SCOTT THE SKI (This ski is intriguing me but I dont really know if it fits my needs)

I'm talking about the 2014 version of each ski.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 8-01-14 23:55; edited 5 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brainfart?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone have a more helpful reply? rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nothing much to choose, IMV. I did not like the Atomics when I hired them, but would probably decide based on price.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maxolina, Sorry, I thought this was a troll copy of this post http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2426289&highlight=xt800#2426289
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh I didn't see that thread... Am I in the wrong section?

Looking at that thread it seems everyone is suggesting the Salomon Enduro xt800...
Too bad here in Italy there are basically no shops where you can try skis before buying them, and the skis they have for rent are always very basic models...

So since I have to buy them "blind" I wanna be sure about them!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
maxolina, Can you not rent a ski in resort? They are all 'good' skis and whatever you buy will be OK if you are buying 'blind'. We all have small differences in the way we ski so one ski or brand may make us feel more comfortable when we use them but there is nothing wrong with any of the others. Good luck. and welcome to snowheads.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well I'm lucky enough to have a pair of these for the past 4 trips,
I bought em in the summer of 2012, I was going to eBay them a couple of weeks ago but never got around to it.

So I'm taking them away for another couple of weeks.

They do everything I require of them, but they are a very heavy ski, so taking them around the apres ski bars at the end of the day is a bit of a bind.

If its a all piste day though I do prefer something a bit more sporty such as a pair of Swiss Tim's Kneissls.
I prefer the Enduros the RTM Volkl and the Blackeye, but I'm a very heavy chubby chappie at 90kgs.
I also use the largest size at 182cm, which looks monstrous nowadays.

I hope this helps, but you should really try before you buy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The skis they rent here are usually very piste oriented skis... And usually quite mid-low range..

Since the idea of an all mountain ski interests me a lot, I'd like to know more about them since they rarely (never) have such models for rent.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I should have said I have Xt800s
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok.. Are the eduros harder to ski than the volkl or the black eye? As harder I mean do they require more effort and force to ski properly? I'm not talking about skill, just about "stiffness" if that's a word..

I'm 175cm high, 66kg if it helps
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
maxolina, I've just bought a set of Völkl RTM 81s. So far I've only got to ski them on very icy pistes ( the Kandahar in Garmisch is is solid ice right now ) and on very chopped up crud. So far so good. Great ski with fantastic grip and just charges through the crud ( much like the Mantras in fact ). I'm still waiting to see how they behave in deeper stuff.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have K2 Rictors which are the older version of the AMP 80. Absolutely love them, and from what you have said I do the same sort of skiing as you and am at the same sort of level.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok after some more research I narrowed it down to 3 skis:
- SALOMON ENDURO XT 800
- VOLKL RTM 81
- KASTLE MX83

It's extremely hard because one is a full camber ski, one a full rocker ski and the enduro is a hybrid rocker/camber/rocker ski..
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The xt800 is more user friendly but from your brief you have only been on skis a few times and your splits on /off mean you should go for shorter ski and not a technical ski that you will struggle with
Xt800 is the one I would go for from your list but look a 2014 atomics really have come up with some user friendly skis Very Happy
snow report
The xt800 is more user friendly but from your brief you have only been on skis a few times and your splits on /off mean you should go for shorter ski and not a technical ski that you will struggle with
Xt800 is the one I would go for from your list but look a 2014 atomics really have come up with some user friendly skis Very Happy
snow report
Just nabbed this from one of my previous posts... I love my Rictors but hav enoticed such a difference....

Quote:
My main ski has been K2's Rictor (All mountain - tip rockered) for a couple of years.
I have an off piste touring set-up too for mainly off piste days.

The Rictors did everything they said on the tin. Grippy on piste, tips floated off piste, so they were fine in all kinds of off piste conditions.

Earlier this season I nabbed some ex race tuned Salomon SL skis.
I also set up a new wide boy set up of some Big Daddies (130mm under foot).

From this ocmbo I realsied that the Rictors are fantastic all mountain skis but a bit of a 'jack of all trades' when it comes to technique.
They are so adaptive that you can 'blag' your technique a little.
The new SL skis require more thought and much more effort to get right, along with the massive daddies when on piste!!!
ski holidays
maxolina, you can rent quite current skis in Champoluc if that's near you?
latest report
I'm a great Atomic fan.

either Blackeye or Crimson does it for me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy