Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemsedal in late Feb - things to pack, do and avoid

Poster: A snowHead
We are off to Hemsedal in late Feb. Self catering in a "cabin" (or shed, according to my younger daughter)

I am expecting it to be snowy, cold, expensive, with good ski school instructors who speak good English. Wife is expecting a nice break (subject to the wearing of sufficient number of layers of thermals). Elder daughter is expecting it to be full of tall, attractive Scandinavian boys who may be interested in her. Younger daughter is expecting to have her skis carried everywhere and for her to be able to ski as well as her sister.

Obviously, we'll be packing lots of layers and a couple of bottles of vodka/brandy etc.

Any other must-takes?

Any must-dos while we are out there? Places to go (although I cannot see that many on the map)? Any particularly good blue/red runs?

Any bars/restaurants (on or off piste) to avoid or to head for?

Cheers

Dobby
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dobby, I went there at New year once. Wasn't that cold actually, but definitely a bit dark. I remember there being a good live music bar at the bottom of the slopes and really that was it as far as apres was concerned. Stayed in a wooden cabin which was dead cosy with the wood burner going and existed on carry-outs from the off licence. Skiing is just fine, not that extensive and nothing steep. No alcohol sold on the mountain! But all that was probably 20 years ago so I assume there have been changes as Norwegians have become so darn wealthy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, thanks. We are happy with carry-outs and eating in on holiday - the girls prefer that (well, the younger daughter does). We are also v happy with gentle blues/reds.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a bar at the bottom of the main lifts which is good for apres and another bar/restaurant further down where the ski hire is. It is also easy enough to walk into town one evening, where there are a few bars and restaurants. There was nowhere to buy wine or spirits in town a few years ago, so get at the airport or the town where the train stops (Gol?)

We enjoyed the runs on Tinden.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do the husky dog sledding if you fancy a fun afternoon off. Manic hounds dragging you across a frozen lake for an hour or so. Otherwise just enjoy the wilderness; it can be very cold, still and peaceful up there.

The culinary highlight was the thick fish soup served at the café at the bottom of the main lifts - big chunks of salmon and white fish in a creamy sauce. Apres a bit limited and alcohol very expensive (stock up at the airport) and generally difficult to obtain.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
quinton, cheers. I've heard that the doggies are good fun. Definitely taking a bottle or two...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Which week are you going? If you hit the Swedish or Norwegian winter break it could be very crowded. Any other week will be very good, but Saturdays can be crowded because large groups come over weekends.

I've usually done long weekends in Hemsedal, and I think the system is perfect for 2-3 days but a bit too small for a full week. The slopes are generally in excellent condition and as janeed states, the red-blue runs from Tinden are very nice. There are a few steeper slopes if you feel brave, I especially like the black number 8, usually in excellent condition.

Since I usually come by bus or car from Sweden, we try to bring everything we need for the weekend and limit our purchases to lunch and apres. I understand that might not be possible for you. Food and drinks can be ridiculously expensive, but there is a fully stocked supermarket at the bottom of the slopes, in the Ski Lodge next to the ski hire. I just read that Vinmonopolet (the Norwegian state monopoly for alcohol) has opened a store in Hemsedal centrum this year, so there is now at least a possibility to get hold of wine or spirits if needed. It's opened Tuesday - Wednesday 11-17, Friday 10-18 and Saturday 10-15.

In addition to the restaurants on the slopes, there are also rooms for eating your own packed lunch. They should be equipped with microwave ovens, if I recall correctly.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cliff, we're off 23 Feb - 02 March. I've been told this week is just after the main Scandinavia winter break, but could be wrong.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll echo some of the comments above. Hemsedal and the mountains are beautiful, with very friendly locals. The husky sledding is fantastic and we'd do it every year if we could - see the Hemsedal Huskies facebook page for what they do. The night skiing is good fun too with quite a few pistes lit. The green from the highest mountain is a bit steep at the start but worth the tow for the view. Hot chocolate costs £1 on the nursery slopes (bit more up the top). The skischool kids can take part in the Ski show on the Thursday night just up from the Alpin Lodge with some locals doing their stuff with displays from the instructors (including the ones in the mascot costumes).

We'll try and leave some nice snow behind (we go the week before you). I'm also trying cross country for the first time...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Twig, enjoy. Hope snow is not a problem in Norway in February. If so we're all doomed. If you are going with a TO, Do you get passes from TO or from resort? Resort does 8 days for price of 6 and our flights are timed so that we can get some skiing in on the Sunday.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dobby, that week is winter break for the Stockholm region, but they mostly go to the Swedish mountains anyway. Some parts of Norway have break that week, including Buskerud Fylke where Hemsedal is (but that's a very sparsely populated area). Oslo has the week before, so it should be ok.

Heard from some colleagues who visited Hemsedal last week that snow conditions were really good, considering how the winter has been so far. Really cold right now, though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cliff, thanks. Hemsedal's not had a bad amount of snow so far this year, as far as I can make out. I am quite looking forward to the cold, but the Mrs isn't! Don't know how many pairs of very warm gloves a girl can need.....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dobby, we go direct via Skistar and load our passes online or collect the new ones from the reception - so if you've gone via TO then they should have them.

One of the worst things about Hemsedal (or most resorts these days I suppose) is the anticipation from watching the webcams and wishing my life away while waiting....

wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Don't know how many pairs of very warm gloves a girl can need.....

take some "teabag" handwarmers. Sounds like a great holiday. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Twig, i'm going to order passes online tonight - cheaper and gets you pass for extra half day skiing on Sunday morning.pam w, plenty of handwarmers being readied
snow report
Lots of tips for skiing here, take alcohol, food and thermals! Pre book ski passes, especially before oct as you get massive discounts. You wont want to go anywhere other than ski, there is also night skiing.
We book indepenatly and save about £4000
latest report
Quote:

save about £4000

Shocked
ski holidays
yep, family of 5 including everything, flights, hotel, car hire, chalet, ski in ski out, ski pass hire etc we spent £3000 brochure price around £7000
snow report
warbis66, we took the booze, food and thermals. Didn't need the thermals, but the other two came in handy. Night skiing was great. I liked the fact that we got 8 days pass/kit hire for the price of 6 - v civilised.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy