Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in Obertauern for a week from Saturday. Is anyone there at the mo who can update on how conditions are holding up in the current heatwave? Any "sharks" off-piste or is the snow depth now sufficient to cover?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just back from a week in Obertauern. Piste coverage is excellent across the mountain apart from a very few patches on south facing slopes. Off piste is "variable" but still some good bits. Overall an excellent holiday and surprisingly good snow considering the drought that eastern Austria has been suffering.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hd, You probably could have done with looking in on here rather than popping your Q on a new thread ( http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=102925&highlight= )

Obertauern is situated in central Austria and has benefited from catching the last bits of the southern based snow and the western stuff too. Piste conditions have been good across the region (mainly due to the early falls and the amount of coverage the cannons have!).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
flangesax wrote:
hd, You probably could have done with looking in on here rather than popping your Q on a new thread ( http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=102925&highlight= )

I'd been following that thread closely but there was no information within on Obertauern, and I couldn't be certain if reports from resorts 1000m lower were relevant, hence the new thread.

It is worth mentioning that Obertauern feels like a proper ski resort at the moment with snow everywhere top to bottom and throughout the town, and I think the deepest base of any of the non glacial resorts in Austria as far as I am aware (ready to stand corrected if not). Whereas most lower resorts nearby are relying on artificial white ribbons through brown fields to keep the runs open, especially down to resort level.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hd, keep in mind that the bottom of obertauern may be higher than many near by ski towns but the top isn't much different, small vertical. Nice plane to ski on a sunny day, else better off in the tree line. Drove through there a few days ago on way to ski in lungau, seemed to be plenty of snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
waynos wrote:
hd, keep in mind that the bottom of obertauern may be higher than many near by ski towns but the top isn't much different, small vertical.

Indeed, I think the main point I was trying to make is that for anyone looking for a week somewhere in the Salzburg area which has a "ski resort ambience" at the moment with snow everywhere including in the town and not just up top, then Obertauern is probably the best option.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
or Katschberg, other side of Obertauern, longer runs, less people and accommodation is not as expensive.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kooky wrote:
or Katschberg, other side of Obertauern, longer runs, less people and accommodation is not as expensive.

Having visited Katschberg as well I would prefer Obertauern as a base. Katschberg was small and didn't seem to have much of a resort ambience, more of a day trip place. I would imagine it is very quiet in the evenings. Obertauern was not busy last week and the apres was damn good right through to the small hours Toofy Grin

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 19-01-14 12:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hd, very true. Katschi is a real family resort. Did you go to the Lürzeralm in Obertauern? Best apres IMHO for miles
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kooky wrote:
Did you go to the Lürzeralm in Obertauern?

Twisted Evil Embarassed wink Cool snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hd, Madeye-Smiley wink Laughing I know the feeling
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I think the main point I was trying to make is that for anyone looking for a week somewhere in the Salzburg area which has a "ski resort ambience" at the moment with snow everywhere including in the town and not just up top, then Obertauern is probably the best option.

I'll go with that!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just back yesterday and can confirm that things are still good on all but a couple of the runs of the front of the lift with both chairs and gondolas.
Other than on Friday the resort was the quietest I have ever seen it
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
off to Obertauern on 14th, I can't wait.
I've been many times over the years (first time 1991), mainly because the snow is so reliable. Whilst the ski area isn't massive, over the years I've found more additional side / off Piste to keep me busy. Although I'm a little
concerned this year that the avalanche risk may be higher than usual.
I thought I'd do a couple of days away as well. I was thinking Zauchensee, as that's where the kids (I mean young adults) learnt to ski. And I thought also 1 day down at St Michael / Mauterdorf.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bob, avi risk at the moment mainly down to a southerly fohn wind other last few days. See www.lawine.salzburg.at/lageberichte/lb_2014-01-19.html?lang=en_UK
snow conditions
Bob, Mauterdorf fine for a day or two
Just manmade snow at bottom and some ice on blue run down last week
Red down seemed to be in better condition according to someone I spoke to who had skied it
snow report
forecast for snow this Thursday. 25cm in 24 hours. It is snow forecast, but I'm clinging to anything.
ski holidays
Bergfex has a different opinion .....
http://www.bergfex.at/obertauern/wetter/berg/
snow report
DB, 2cms? That´s not worth getting out of bed for wink
latest report
Toofy Grin
latest report
I was at Obertauren today, well I think I was, I couldn't see nowt! Ange
snow report
flangesax, standard!
snow report
kooky, Laughing
ski holidays
Oh you gels! rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
flangesax, ONLY WHEN IT'S SUNNY
ski holidays
definition of an oxymoron………sunny Obertauern Twisted Evil
snow report
flangesax wrote:
I was at Obertauren today, well I think I was, I couldn't see nowt! Ange

my first visit to Obertauern back in the 90's was for two weeks, driving snow and low cloud for 12 and a half days of it..loved it, and stilldo. Smile
snow report
waynos, or when you get invited out for the day!!! Ange
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In Obertauern next week? Any real reports "from the ground"....the theoretical reports indicate it will be immense, but not as much as the other Austrian resorts....
ski holidays
HTL, Ive not been up there in weeks, its on my 'must go' list, however, its been snowing so no worries. Ange
ski holidays
Off to Obertauern on 13Dec. Not been before and have been anxiously watching the forecasts and webcams. Got a little whiter over the past few days. Can anyone who knows the place give a view on how much will be open by 13 Dec. Now colder so cannons will be firing and small amounts of snow forecast between now and then
snow report
@Blastfromthepast, forecast is looking more promising for the next few days so fingers crossed
Sorry no idea what will be open though
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy