Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If I buy new boots, will I appreciate the difference?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm 60 and started skiing with the family about 15 years ago. After the first week (ski school and all that) I bought boots (Salomons supplied and fitted by Lockwoods at Leamington Spa). Since then, I'm upto about 20 weeks but would not see myself as any higher than the top end of intermediate. I will ski anything on piste but have not ventured much off piste although did have some fun on my son's Zsars in Tignes last year when there was 6 inches of unbashed fresh snow on piste. So far the boots have held up fine and are not showing any appreciable signs of wear, although the linings are rather smelly! To date, all my skiing has been in Austria and France, but in 3 weeks we head out to Whistler for 10 days skiing so it might be a good time for a change. I'd like to think I'll be skiing in 10 years time and as retirement looms may be able to ramp up to longer periods on the snow and perhaps even progress to advanced level. Question: do you think it would be worthwhile me investing in a new set of boots or perhaps just changing the linings, if that's possible?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The plastic will probably be getting to the end of it's life so in my opinion paying a fair bit for linings would not be worthwhile. Maybe look at the new dual purpose boots that work well as downhill boots and for touring if you think that you would be interested in that in the future, they can come with different sole plates for the bindings.

Fit is the most important thing, when I went to a very good bootfitter and got boots that were a lot snugger my skiing really shot up a level. Custom fit injected foam liners really helped too but that was because I am getting a lot more ambitious and have very narrow ankles so get movement with the standard liners.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin Bell,
Quote:
do you think it would be worthwhile me investing in a new set of boots
Yes, absolutely. 20 weeks is an average lifetime for a liner so that's on it's way out and as Avalanche Poodle says, plastic also deteriorates over time and at 15 years could be ready to shatter, particularly at Canadian temperatures.

It's not just that, though. Boot design and technology has moved on tremendously. Plastics are much more advanced - forward flex is more progressive but lateral stiffness is now a priority to work with modern technique and skis. Custom shells are available at no extra cost to fit your foot perfectly (Salomon X Max/Pro). Liners are pretty much all thermomouldable to hold your foot firmly and comfortably.

Spend the money and don't forget the footbed Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've had our boots for about 8 years, about 16/17 weeks skiing, noticed last time my ankles felt uncomfortable by the end of the week, assumed it was just me? and Mr feefee's boots stink Shocked he had new footbeds which has helped, but are ours considered past it?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 8-01-14 14:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
feefee, FWIW I changed mine and they were just a few weeks short of yours - treat yourself!! Toofy Grin Seriously the plastic in my old ones had gone very stiff with age, and I needed to buy much more advanced boots in when I changed to get enough resistance in them. That said to me that mine needed changing. At a similar age, yours might be in a similar condition. My new boots are lovely to ski in Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, I did think to change his as they stink (currently airing in the boiler room as not allowed indoors)! If he has new boots can they/will they use the footbeds he's just had fitted in his old ones? I do worry that if I change mine they might hurt? I know I got some stick when we bought ours, straight off of decathlons shelf, but they have been lovely every time, until this year when my ankles felt uncomfortable? Where did you go, local?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Colin Bell,

I had new boots fitted in Whistler by Surefoot 2 years ago and they are brilliant. Expensive but I've got strange feet ! If you do decide to change they are excellent.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Football boots or ski boots? Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/e3FfdgaBomk
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the sprays to stop smells in trainers (e.g. odour eaters) also help with ski boots. Widely available from supermarkets, cobblers etc
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You should be able to remove the liners and wash them in your machine (just to deal with that aspect of it). It's what I've alwasy done (or my wife has, anyway).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
feefee, footbed can easily be taken out of the old boots and put into the new. I'm just back from two weeks skiing in new boots (with old foot beds) and the new boots really improved my skiing! My old boots had done about 12 weeks but weren't stiff enough for me and the liners had really packed down.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
feefee, sore ankles when I had to skate were the first sign that my old boots were getting too big. Whether or not an old footbed can be transferred to new boot will depend on their state - and maybe size. An honest bootfitter will tell you whether they are OK, or whether you'd be spoiling the ship for a ha'orth of tar.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, he had them fitted in resort 2 weeks ago so hopefully they will be ok? Hmmm maybe we should have a trip to the boot shop then!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feefee, more or less as long as the boots he had them fitted to fitted his feet properly then they should go happily into another pair of boots that fit his feet properly.

Colin Bell, AFAIK, there are only a few models of boots that are prone to exploding after 15 years (not so long as boots seem to live for if you look around France at holiday season). However, I agree with Raceplate, that 120 days (or 20 "normal" weeks) is about the lifetime of a pair of boots, certainly liners.

Technology has of course moved on, although that isn't necessarily evident in all models either. Certainly not the cheaper end of the ranges.

I would be inclined to go see a good 'fitter and buy a new pair. The only issue being that you have limited time to get them to be into before a big trip. I wouldn't tend to buy out there either - as you have an expensive journey (or an additional cost locally if (as they probably will) need tweaking after you get back.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
feefee, I have got both my sets from Skee Tex in Battlesbridge and been pleased with the service I've received. There is a chap there I guess around mid forties there, I forget his name, but he is clearly not a much younger chap who also works there. I was once told he was fitting boots whilst SZK was still in diapers Laughing He seems to know what he is doing and both my pairs have been like carpet slippers to ski in. My new advanced set are excellent.
latest report
Megamum,
snow report
Megamum,
Quote:

I was once told he was fitting boots whilst SZK was still in diapers

I know a bloke that's been working at McDonalds for years, started there before Heston started cooking.
snow report
Sweet, they do Fishing stuff to, lots of good skiing and fishing around Essex!
latest report
Guys name is Justin at skee tex. Excellent shop for boot fitting, very helpful. Worth going early though as they get very busy and it gets crowded!
latest report
Megamum, Yes know skeetex well, have an assortment of stuff from there, but not boots! Mr feefee will be very pleased when I tell him we are going ski boot shopping!
ski holidays
teneightychris, Justin! - yes that's the guy - very helpful and more than happy to tweak and fix up after you've purchased. I was insistent that I wanted to try a narrower pair, he had already worked out what I needed, I stood in the narrower pair he had produced for a quiet life for all of 10 mins and then agreed that he had been right in the first place!! Def. ask for Justin by name.
latest report
CH2O, Well Essex is closer to the alps than many places in the UK. Don't under-estimate the fishing either!

You asked about your footbeds feefee, if it's any help he was happy to put my old Superfeet green into my new boots as they were still in good nick. Also on every visit I have def. been under no pressure to buy anything I didn't want, in fact I've almost got the impression that he will try and talk you out of spending your hard earned if he really thinks you def. don't need something.
ski holidays
under a new name and others, thanks for the help. I'll get a new pair. Since Lockwoods supplied the last set, they should still have my measurements. Hopefully they'll have a reasonable stock and will be able to supply in time - still got 3 weeks before we fly!
snow report
I'd recommend getting them fitted in Whistler - I got mine fitted at Skiis & Bikes which is near the IGA grocery store over 'the other side of Olympic Plaza' and I love the fit so much.
I was back in the store three times after we had them fitted to have bits punched where I had cramps and the end result is my perfect fit.
snow report
RibenaRockstar, that's fair enough but ... if you don't get it right when you're there, it's a royal pain to have to fly back for tweaks.
snow conditions
There was a good bloke fitting boots in lockwoods around 15 years ago, I think he was Scottish.
snow report
jbob, Scots are always good blokes
ski holidays
I went to a very well known boot fitter on this forum with 6yr old boots bought on fleabay hoping that he was going to sell me the solution to all my ski problems.
'Unfortunately' he said there's nought wrong with them. Gutted.

Probably done 60+ weeks..?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy