Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski on route to zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
We are off to zermatt on 1 March and are looking to ski somewhere on our arrival day. We arrive in geneva at 9 am and would like to ski somewhere in the general direction of zermatt. mount Jura was suggested as very close to geneva airport. Looks quite small area - does anyone know if it is likely to be busy on a Saturday ? Would ideally like to get on the slope for about 12 if possible somewhere. I seen loads of resorts along the valley up to Sion but grateful for any suggestions ! We will have a car for transport

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Verbier? You could get to Nendaz by midday. Chamonix if the pass to Martigny is open.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
10196986, you might like to look into the resort of Graechen ... which is in a side valley off the valley that leads up Zermatt. That'll enable you to get very close to where you're going to be. Graechen was the second place I ever skied, in about 1961, and I've never been back, but have always wanted to!

Alternatively, also nearby, is Saas Fee. That's on a grander scale, and really warrants a few days. Graechen would probably be more accessible and realistic for a day's skiing.

Info: http://www.graechen.ch/site/en/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or try the Val D'Anniviers

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-gb/zinal.html
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My initial reaction is that Monts Jura adds ~30km each way on to your journey, it's in the wrong direction. But...if it's a question of getting on slopes first and arriving in Zermatt late, then that might be a good call.

Personally, I'd want to get myself past Martigny. Nendaz a good call, although it itself is a bit of a hike up windy roads. Crans Montana?

CG's Grächen idea sounds interesting and possibly the least out of the way?

You want to do your research so you can spring into action on arrival and also be prepared to bin the idea if delays, etc., get in the way and not be too disappointed.

Thinking about it...

9h00 wheels down
9h30 (if swift) luggage grabbed and out door
10h15 (if swift) car hired

Hmmmm, You could for instance be just about on slope in Les Houches by 12h00 from there. Then over the Col des Montets to Martigny. That doesn't actually add a significant delay to your journey overall (some of our Swiss friends regularly access Verbier via Chamonix because Friday traffic Geneva Lausanne is so heavy and going via Cham is quicker).

Monts Jura, I have only driven past and don't know anything much about. By the time we get to a point in the season where we have a chance to go explore, they're typically out of snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have stopped at few places on the way to or from Zermatt, Grachen as suggested was nice, my favourite for a shortish day was Ovronnaz, really nice skiing, friendly, and good snow when we were there. We have also tried Nax, and Grimentz. Places such as Nendaz are also accessible, but for the odd day I like to try smaller resorts where I would not go for a weeks holiday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try La Dole, Villars, Leysins, Torgon, Morgins or Champery, all not far off the autoroute on the way to Zermatt. The first one is the closest to GVA but also the lowest so needs good snow cover.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Val d'Anniviers. You can easily make Grimentz or Zinal by 13.00 and pick up an afternoon pass quite cheaply, then it would only be a short drive in the evening around to park up for the Zermatt train.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks for all your helpful replies. Will look into a few of your suggestions! Hors piste - in Ovvronnaz are many of the lifts drags? Snowboarder is going with us and not sure if he is that keen on drag lifts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
10196986, There are about 3 chairs, but you do need to use drags to get to some of the nicer, quieter areas - see http://www.teleovronnaz.ch/Templates/pistes.html
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The shortest driving detour would probably be Crans-Montana, as you can get a funicular straight up from Sierre in the valley floor
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The problem with Val d'A, Crans, etc, is that they are a pretty long distance from GVA and so you'll only be on skis at 12.30-1pm if arriving at GVA at 9am. Monts Jura, La Dole, Leysin, Villars and Torgon are a lot closer.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't see the point in taking a detour. I'd head to Zermatt and be done with it. 2.5 hours straight drive from GVA if the traffic is good. Certainly no more than 3. Jura is definitely in the wrong direction. If you do want a quick ski en route. I suggest La Tzoumaz or Veysonnaz. Both are a reasonably easy detour off the motorway. Both about 1 hr 30 min from GVA.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Going back to my suggestions of anywhere on the Cham valkey, assuming pass open, least distance from GVA, more ore less no time penalty.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is the road to martingy usually open ? Travelled up the chamonix valley as far as argentiere a few times so know it well. Happy enough if I only get a half day - dont get skiing too much so will probably try make the most of it! Will probably just decide when we arrive , if flight on time, weather good, etc, then will check somewhere out
snow report
Hi - there's a map here which shows you most of the resorts between Geneva and Zermatt. It's rail themed but still quite useful as a general map.
http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information
I've skied in Monts Jura - really nice contrast to the Alps.
Been to tons of other places around here, too, including Chateau D'Oex, Rochers de Naye (brilliantly remote and quiet). Leysins, Champery (on edge of the PdS).
One place I'd love to sample is Leukerbad just east of Crans Montana. The outdoor spas there look amazing (I think Ovvronnaz has spas, too).
You can see this map on an app, too (with extra resorts and stations). https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-alps-ski-resort-rail-map/id610342489?mt=8
Do you speak French or German? Might be worth bearing in mind as the language boundary falls between the two places although most are French speaking until you get to around Sierre, I think.
ski holidays
On further reflection, my favourite might be a place called Moleson (which my friend and I referred to as me'ol son - well, it made us laugh!) near Montbovon.
It's like a magical fairy-tale mountain. One lift to the top, and an almost perfectly circular peak. The views are amazing, and the long black run down is one of my favourites in the Alps.
Lower down they have easier slopes accessed by chair and funicular - some really nice tree-lined stuff. It was super-quiet when we went there too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy