Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Milky Way Report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I along with the in-laws are heading to Sestriere January 11 - 19. This will be the in-law's first European ski trip (I've done Chamonix and then with the wife in Cortina/Sella Ronda) but we've all done most of the major resorts in the USA. We selected Sestriere because of the size of the linked area, value for $, as well as the reviews saying it was an intermediates paradise. We also like the Italian food, laid back attitude towards skiing, and of course bombardinos.

It looks like the conditions are pretty good in the Via Lattea at the moment. However, I noticed that the snow report showed some lifts & runs have closed over the last week.

http://www.vialattea.it/Multimedia/Bollettino

While most of the connections to the other resorts seem to be open, I was wondering why some of the lifts and slopes had closed this week. Is it because the holiday season is over and we are now into what they consider the "low season?" Is it due to Weather? Is this typical or can we expect more lifts to open during our stay, say for the weekend part?

Also, we won't have a car while we are there. It looks like the bus from Sestriere to Cesana only runs Thursday - Sunday in the low season. I've heard the link to Montegenevre can take a full day for an out an back trip. Does taking the bus to Cesana save us enough time to make it worth it or should we just go when the weather is good and make the best of the time we have?

Thanks for any comments or recent trip reports.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That sounds about right to me. We were in Sestriere for a week last year and they couldn’t be bothered to open some of higher black runs midweek nor piste some of the less popular runs even though the place was still in ‘full swing’ with the tour operators. All efforts are saved for the locals who appear at weekends (mysteriously the ‘closed due to avalanche risk’ is no longer a risk at weekends). Neither could they be bothered to produce any sort of ‘resort atmosphere’. Don’t look for the ”What’s on in Resort” booklet; there isn’t one.
Some lovely runs and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel (Du Col) but won’t be going back.
We were fortunate that our TO provided a bus to Montgenevre for a day. I wonder if this is limited to certain TOs or if your hotel can organise something for you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Our TO isn't much of an organized group so we are relying on public transportation and lift links. It looks like there is a ski bus that operates Thursday - Sunday between Pragelato and Cesana but the other days we have to rely on lifts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I met a few people in Montgenevre and Claviere at xmas who had come over, but to be honest they had had enough of the crowds on the French side, as so many were up in Monty because of poor conditions in Sierre Chevalier and beyond; also they had had a longish trek and conditions were quieter and better on the Italian side at that time. Claviere is very nice though, and Monty if it is all open.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My parents were in Sauze over the new year and only skiied 4.5 (I think) out of 6 days because of bad weather, they ski that much a few days off doesn't bother them nowadays.

Some of the very high blacks in Sestriere (ie the womans downhill) are only accessed by drags so may well close in bad conditions, don't panic though because there are a lot of runs through the trees so good skiing on bad days is still possible.

We're going to sestriere in Feb and it'll be our 6th trip to the area.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The trip to Clavier/Montgenvre from SanSicario is a bit of a trek with a cabin and several chairs to get there. There's nice runs once over though and it is doable if you start early and keep moving, though to go all the way to Monty does mean leaving to get back, soon after you arrive. Whatever you do though, DON'T set off down the forest road (green or blue run) to get back down on your way back. It's very flat and long. Take the chair down as it's a lot quicker.

I think closing of runs in early season even when they look in good condition is often done by resorts as a precaution against lack of snow. That way they save them to open later when/if other runs deteriorate, should they not get more snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like some snow is on the way for Monday. Looks like we'll need to pack the avalanche kit even to ski the trees due to the Piedmont laws.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
whhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaat...??????????????????

*internets*
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've read you need to have a helmet, beacon, probe, & shovel to ski off piste in the Piedmont. I believe there's a thread on this site about it. Apparently the polizia will issue a stiff fine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well I know what to add to my christmas list...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmmm…perhaps this only applies in big resorts…never been mentioned where we are (trees, side piste etc)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm just going off what I read on this site and some other general ones on the web.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2246848&highlight=italy+piste#2246848

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/8996929/Off-piste-skiing-guide-best-resorts-and-guides.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy