Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advice and opinions on ski instructor courses please.

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone Smile
first time here, as these forums seemed the best place to get some advice so i joined up.
I'm from the UK and im 35 years old, I'm a personal trainer for last 5 years but feel like a career change (at least for winter seasons anyway).
I have been skiing a few times but not for last 9 years, i was at intermediate level last time I skied.

I have been looking at a few ski instructor courses, wintersports company, basecame, snow skool, non stop (noticed these dont do a BASI level).
they all look rather attractive, I want to take a season long course and attain my level 1 and 2, but not to sure which course will be best for me, do i take a CASI or BASI or even consider the new zealand course, but with my age I am guessing that it is a lot harder to get a working visa once I have the qualification I want.
So maybe my best option is to go for BASI that way i can work in the EU without the need for a visa, as I have read that even though all qualifications are equal but if i wanted to work in canada for example they will give preference to people with CASI and same goes for if i wanted to work in new zealand then they will take preference of their own qualification. is this correct? and am i right about the visa situation?

next question is, is it worth me taking up snow boarding at a snowdome here in the UK and getting my lvl 1 in snowboarding for a more rounded CV when applying for jobs?
I have never snow boarded before and if i like it too much i might decide to take the snowboarding courses but not sure if there is more job oppurtunitys in the skiing side of the industry.

and last but not least, has anyone heard good things of any of the ski schools i mentioned above or recommend any others, most seem to be around the 7.5k -8.5k brackets, some have meals included for 7 days, some only have 5 days.
there seems to be pros and cons for most and so many options I can't decide which is best option for myself, its a lot of money to fork out for me.

The main goal is the have a great time, get the lvl 1 and 2 qualifications and to find work the following seasons, will my age go against me when trying to find employment?

anyway thanks for your time reading and any replys with some advice would be greatly appricated especially with regards to which snow school is a good school.
if the BASI is best way to go, the options are three valleys france with snow skool.
Courmayeur, Italy with wintersports company
meribel, france with basecamp
but I am so tempted to try canada as the reviews sound amazing.... (help haha) Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My son has just started a 11 week casi 2 course with all tracks in whistler , high quality tuition and accommodation, he has a twin room with lounge to himself , at no more cost than euro land , and with great snow , he's going on to NZ after he qualifies in and effort to board all year round via NZ , SA , USA, and back to Canada
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd love to do somthing similar but think my age and getting visa to work in countrys outside of the EU will work against me.
I'm not booking anything till the end of this month so ive got few weeks to decide which qualification I'm going to go for between thr BASI or CASI its 50/50 at the moment but think the canada packages seem the best overall for quality and good experience.
Just dont want to handicap myself by taking the CASI courses and then struggle to get a visa to work in canada or over in NZ in the summer and then also lose out to getting work in the EU to people who have their lvl 2 BASI as from what ive read each country will give oreference to people with the qulification thats most recognised in their country.
I could be wrong though. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a look at http://www.snoworksgap.co.uk/
Level 1 and 2 BASI and I believe they can arrange the shadowing for your hours too, to get the full qualification.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a look at NEW GENERATION in the Three Valleys and ICE in Val d'Isere.
It is imperative that you are aware of where you can work with a level 2 and the options available for you with this level. I would suggest that if you consider making a career of ski instruction, you should already be looking beyond the level 2 towards the ISIA (this 'stamp' is given on successful completion of the BASI level 3 for instance), a highly regarded qualification with excellent work opportunities. The BASI system offers an excellent stepping stone through the levels to attain this.
With your limited ski experience, a gap course with intensive training is a good option. The number of contact hours should be a big decider in your choice of provider, along with the qualification level of the coach that will mentor you through the programme.
Whatever your decision, the course should provide training with a goal to pass BASI 2 or CASI level 2 at a minimum.
FYI I was a GAP course mentor for 7 seasons, GAP course manager and ISIA training course coach.
All the very best - you will love it, and no, your age is not a barrier. With your skills as a personal trainer, I am sure you will do well in the ski teaching world.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you very much for diversify that was great advide and I'm hoping my personal training experience will come in useful too.
my aim is to get to lvl 3 eventualy, need to get the first 2 lvls first then get to lvl 3 after a couple seasons under my belt Smile

I'll check out new generation web site in the mirning Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
11lee11 wrote:
will my age go against me when trying to find employment?

I think it will be a positive advantage 11lee11. More's the question: will you be able to put up with nine other 'teen gappies P***ing it up every night? I valued New Gen embracing those of (slightly) more advanced years / outlook and catering more specifically for them.

I'm not 100% on this bit, but I think supply significantly outstrips demand for snowboard instructors at L1/L2 level. I think Adaptive may be a more useful 2nd discipline and L1 is also do-able in a dome. Thoughts anyone?

PM me if you are still considering Courmayeur.

Fully endorse Diverskify's comments. Was one of his graduates class of '09.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
11lee11,
I've sent you a PM
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Bobski Smile

yeah good point haha
I'm looking for the right course for next january, as I have work commitments and a thailand trip coming up in next couple months.(so gives me a good amount of time to decide and brush up on ski skills at chill factor in manchester and also try my hand at snow boarding too) Smile
I shall surely PM you about Courmayeur if thats where I choose.
The courmayeur course is 15 weeks long with wintersnow company, for same price as the 11 weeks courses to other places, so thats tempting, but I think those last 4 weeks are possible working employment after course ends depending on how well the individual did during the 11 weeks.

when are you attending Courmayeur.?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As you haven't skied for a while, and you're not planning on doing a course till next winter, I would get in touch with your local UK slope and see if you can do anything there in the meantime. As others have mentioned L1 is possible in a snowdome, and even if you choose to do it in the Alps if you can get some instructor-training in the UK in advance it would help ensure you're well placed to take advantage of the season, and don't show up and find that you're well short of the required level for example. Even something like the Snow Sports England L1 on a local dry slope, although it won't count directly towards any BASI qualification would give you massive head start in self awareness, knowledge of the skills required, and teaching experience.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have booked my self in for a few hours skiing at chill factor in couple of weeks, while there I was going to enquire about getting up to standard for lvl 1 and taking the course there and keep going few times a month so im well prepared for which ever course I choose to attend next winter.

good advice thank you Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
11lee11, If I were you I'd look into doing your L1 at Chill Factore, and get someone qualified there to take a look at your skiing to see if you would pass your L1.

This would then give you some feedback on areas you'd need to work on for your L2.

Rather than do a whole season you could look into doing some training weeks prior to your L2??

some other places that do training as well as gap programmes

http://www.snoworks.com/
http://www.icesi.org/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oh and these guys (who post on here) will do a pre-BASI assessment (which is what I did prior to doing my L1 at Leeds)

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/private.html#3
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes I've been reading that this option is a lot less expensive too.
when im there weekend after next I shall enquire about it.

I think the full package of getting both levels and being out in the mountains for a full season is what is attracting me to it rather than taking the lvl 1 here and spending quite a bit on on lessons at a indoor fridge to get me upto standard for lvl 2 then only getting 4 weeks on the slopes.

hence why I was going to try my hand at snow boarding get lots of practice in and gettimg lvl 1 in that at chill factor then still going for full season course for both lvl 1 and 2 skiing at one of the schools in the mountains.
then I have a better rounded cv for when applying for jobs.
maybe lol
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you for the links kitenski,
will check them out once I get home Smile
latest report
11lee11, Also look at http://www.skivo2.co.uk/BASI+Gap+Fast+Track+Ski+Instructor+Programme/. Take a look at their brochure at the foot of this link. I have not done instructor training with them, but have done their one week training course in November for a number of years and find them to be excellent. They do a 10 week BASI L1 and L2 combined starting at bg of January (4 Jan 2014). Talk to Blake or Dave.
snow report
hi 11lee11, you should also check out http://www.peakleaders.com/course/verbier-ski-snowboard-instructor-course/ Like others have pointed out it aint cheap but is an awesome "in" to your qualifications and to spending a season having fun.

like you I took a wee career break, I was 29, and decided I wanted to qualify within a structured course. I got employment straight off the course with the school who supply the training (ES) and ended up doing four seasons teaching for them. IMHO you shouldn't underestimate the advantage of training somwhere where you can work, ie if you train in france you can't just go teach on the hill with your level 2, in switzerland (and other places) you can. This means the contacts you make in chalets, bars etc can recommend you to clients, friends etc. In ski-schools personal requests are king and will get you more work opportunities as you build a client base and become more of an asset to the school.

I would also say you can make your age an asset. a lot of parents are happier leaving kids with someone who doesn't look young enough to be their kid and nervous skiers often relax more with an "older" instructor than some young-gun that they fear is going to push them too hard....
latest report
thank you hilary t, their brochure looks really good, great overal package (apart from no flights included where as few others do). Its another option worth checking out though and will chat to one of the team and find out more.

spoke with a representative from snowskool today, he said that the BASI course would be best option for me, but if i did want to find work in canada or NZ once I have my qualifications that they have contacts all over and not to worry about visa as they would help with that and isnt going to be a problem.
He also said my age of 35 wouldnt hinder me in anyway especially with my background in fitness.
So i think I am Decided that I shall go the BASI route, its just a case of weighing up which company to go with, making a list of pros and cons of each resort, accoamdation, whats included in each package etc.

I feel like a kid in a sweet shop a little bit, so many attractive courses to choose from and amazing places, I just want to make the right decision and not feel I have made a wrong choice in a few months time Smile

Thank you all for your messages so far, much appriciated.
snow report
Higilo,
yes i did read that france and couple other EU countrys dont accept lvl 2 instructors and are much more strict.
will check out link to peak leaders now, and thank you for your words of advice on your experience, very helpful.
Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy