Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets with visors... clever or pointless?

Poster: A snowHead
I have a HMR2 & I love it Toofy Grin I got some stick from our fellow skiers about looking like a topgun pilot when I bought it but I dont give a stuff. They definitley seem to be increasing in popularity & I'm sure for glasses wearers they're are real bonus. I had an accident whilst staying in Val D'Isere at Christmas & the other half had to ski back from Tignes to Val wearing it whilst I was taken down to hospital & he realised how good it was-so good that I've just ordered him one today to arrive in time for this weekends ski trip Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As a wearer of glasses, I've been interested in visors for a while now. However, we're in Whistler at the moment and the temperatures have been between -25C and -30C earlier in our stay. My everyday OtG goggles sealed well and at times froze on the inside but my glasses did not fog up. I wonder, in these cold conditions, whether visors would seal as well?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought I just bump this thread.

I knew I'd succumb sooner or later. I've just got a visored helmet courtesy of turns'n'turns on the buy and sell thread and I'm really pleased with it. It's an OSBE proton and although I don't think it's a 'ladies' specific helmet, I think it looks OK on - it's matt black with a mirrored visor (very Top Gun, but I shan't let that put me off) and a yellow one for low light. Like this one http://www.amazon.com/OSBE-Proton-Helmet-XX-Large-Black/dp/B00GXBOASS/ref=sr_1_17?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1414263449&sr=1-17&tag=amz07b-21 I can't wait to try it out with my specs, but won't be able to until we holiday next February.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought an HMR for last season and it's beautifully comfortable.

I've got a carbon-finish black one with a visor and am definitely in the 'mid-life crisis' age group, but when the kids complaining we're not "cool enough to wear one" get to our age, they'll realise that we've stopped worrying what people who put 'product' in their hair and struggle to grow hair on their upper lip think and just do what we like.

My HMR H2 is very comfortable and, as I like skiing in sunglasses, but HATE goggles, the visor is a quick (and surprisingly effective) way to switch to 'yellow' lenses if the vis gets crappy unexpectedly. It really doesn't let a lot of wind into your eyes either, which I suspected it might, certainly no worse than most sunglasses.

I'm sure I look stupid to some, but life's too short to worry about that. The HMR H2 is good quality, well made, supremely comfortable and makes me smile.

If you don't like it because you have to wear a matt black helmet and mirrored goggles to prove you're still cool, shop elsewhere.

M
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowman40 wrote:
we've stopped worrying what people who put 'product' in their hair and struggle to grow hair on their upper lip think and just do what we like.

Women, eh?

snowman40 wrote:
If you don't like it because you have to wear a matt black helmet and mirrored goggles to prove you're still cool, shop elsewhere.

Its funny how this sort of product attracts people who like to attack straw men wink Can't you just like stuff without being angry and defensive about it?

"Coolness" is orthogonal to practicality, not opposite.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowman40 wrote:

Damn, that's me.

Thanks for the tip wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fair point Serriadh,

There are plenty ready to attack people on the basis of liking something, I guess I was responding in kind, which isn't clever, I concede.

So, back to my main point. HMR helmets are very comfortable and well made (and seemingly safer than many), so if you like them, I recommend them Smile

Mosha, they make matt black helmets too Very Happy

M.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Schuss in Boots wrote:
snowdan86, As Cacciatore says, I've just been lucky enough to get one of these...
(although to be fair, it looks a helluva lot better than that in reality... if I'd seen those pics, I'd not have given it a second glance - and the visor is not orange... not even close... nearer a faint blue colour IIRC Confused I'll try and dig out a better picture later)

http://liveextreme.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2072

Anyway...

Can't speak highly enough of the thing.... vis is brilliant, hugely widened field of vision and whilst I had some concerns about the reactolight lens and how it would cope with moving from shade to light for example. I should have feared not, the thing is totally and utterly brilliant. It's like looking at the same view all the time... no notable difference between bright sun and shade... quite weird... it's as if it was oblivious to the changes in light and you just 'see' exactly the same whatever the conditions. Definition of snow etc is all excellent. It's even really good in flat light. And as for the quick flip up/down of the visor whenever you felt the urge, the convenience is just fantastic. The only issue I had was when it was snowing heavily (which turned to rain as we approached resort) and I made the mistake of smearing the water across the visor with my gloves... that made for an interesting visionary experience... shan't make that mistake again! Laughing

And as for the fashion police inane ramblings above.... oh FFS.... get over yourselves... weren't snowboards hounded by the fashion police once upon a time? Toofy Grin wink

snowdan86, I am extremely interested in the type of helmet you talk about any chance you can tell me the make and type - currently in Meribel and having to change my glasses as the light changes - i HAVE TO WEAR SPECS. and with gogles they steam up and from what you say that helmet with visor seems to be what I NEED
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@EdIwinjallet, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead Excellent name by the way Laughing

Although your comment is addressed to snowdan86, it was my comment you quoted, so I'm going to assume you meant me.... wink The link to my helmet is in the post itself (just click on the blue link between the main paragraphs and it'll take you there). That said, mine is an Alpina but we just bought a similar helmet for t'other half in the last two weeks. His is a Cairn but when we put them down side by side, we realised that they're are both the exact same helmet, just that his is badged 'Cairn' and was about 100 euros cheaper wink

Link to his here:
http://www.animasportiva.com/en/cairn-cosmos-chromax-060509-7-202.html

Hope that helps. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have two Dainese visor helmets. (None of the other manufacturers make my small size). I think they are very good. I keep the dark visor on and then if I need to do a quick change to yellow, I swap the lens on my adidas sunglasses, with my prescripton lenses behind, flip the black visor up and I'm good to go.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thank you schuss in boots but the link takes me to a bb guns website thanks I'll look at the helmets you have
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thank you schuss in boots but the link takes me to a bb guns website thanks I'll look at the helmets you have
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@EdIwinjallet, That's weird, it used to take you to the helmet page, link must've been corrupted. Confused

Try again....

http://www.alpina-sports.com/snow-gear/helmets/jump-jv-blue-matt/

That's the one I have (but the lens really isn't orange, honestly) Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowinn have lots of Dainese visored helmets for sale at the moment.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kieranm wrote:
Some motorbike helmets have a clear visor, and then a separate shaded section that retracts into the body of the helmet when not needed, controlled with a slider on the outside. Very handy on a bike, and would solve the problem philwig mentions with changing lenses, thought obviously would make the helmet slightly more bulky.

It is, apart from my visor has worn a bit and now flops half way down when riding - which is a PITA.
ski holidays
Star Wars Helmet here on ebay (I enjoyed the view.....!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-Rubies-Biker-Scout-Helmet-/221697478412?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339e330f0c

or the Jango Fett

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-Rubies-Jango-Fett-Helmet-/221697488681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339e333729

N.B. -- Do Not click the links if you are offended by scantly clad ladies............. ! Wink
ski holidays
Good morning, I'm part of a new ski helmet company in Montreal, Canada, and we're working on a new design for a visor integrated helmet . We're currently trying to make the best possible helmet and we want your opinion as to what features this product should or shouldn't have.

If you have 5 minutes to spare, it would be fantastic if you could help us by filling up this quick survey.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UT71nD3W3AjAODbpi1uvifEd6DFnqpXH7IpsX9vQbyg/viewform

Thanks, we are really looking forward to your input Smile

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 20-06-15 18:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@RockenHelmet, Link doesn't work.
snow report
@foxtrotzulu , apologies, link has been fixed. Thank you for the prompt response! Cheers!
snow conditions
Done - beware that if you accidentally miss a question then it won't let you submit the form and won't tell you why unless you happen to scroll back up the page and see a missed answer.
latest report
@RockenHelmet, It would be helpful if you could select multiple reasons for Q16.
snow conditions
Done. You might consider adding an option for £, most of the forum members are based in Britain. snowHead
snow report
Done. Hope you come up wigh a quality product!
latest report
I don't see how that question set could possibly help them arrive at a better design. It's purely a way of gathering email addresses of people who wear helmets.
snow conditions
Done, and @Pruman you don't have to provide your email address - I didn't.
ski holidays
@fixx, nor did I and I didn't finish it, but it's clear that's all the survey is designed to harvest. He said "We're currently trying to make the best possible helmet and we want your opinion as to what features this product should or shouldn't have." That survey can't help them with that.
snow report
@Pruman, I think you are being a touch cynical and jumping to conclusions. It's certainly fair to say that this isn't necessarily a design survey to help them come up with the best possible helmet, but on the basis that supplying an email address is optional then it's also clearly not just above harvesting email addresses. How may are they really likely to get from this thread? 10 or 20? Not worth the bother probably. To me the survey is far more about market research, trying to find out how big the market is, how much we might pay and what general features are important. E.g light weight or style or brand etc. all legitimate questions to ask, even if they original post was poorly phrased. Once they have e answers to these questions they have a better chance of developing a helmet that fits with what peop,e want and, more importantly, might sell.
snow conditions
but why would anyone care about "quality of materials"? It's reat quality but it's heavy uncomfortable and offers no protection - yep, that's a winning proposition...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, By the same token, why would anyone care about brand? Utterly daft in most cases, but people do care.

Plenty of people would get very excited about having a helmet made of Kevlar or carbon fibre, even though it probably offers no greater protection than the standard plastics. Look at the Sweet website and you'll see it's all pseudo science and supposedly innovative materials.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@under a new name, Look at the Sweet website and you'll see it's all pseudo science and supposedly innovative materials.

If you ask people that do white water kyaking (or how you spell it) who may hit heads off a rock or two. Many would not have anyhting but a Sweet on their head.
ski holidays
QED.
latest report
The Ruroc and visor type helmet don't work when the powder is dry and deep.
latest report
Thank you for everyone who has been participating in our survey.
In reply to all of your questions and concerns:
Rocking Lens System is a small start-up company that has developed the Rocking Lens Technology (RLS) used on Bollé's Osmoz helmet (please visit www.rockentech.com). Rocken is now interested in creating its own first helmet using an evolution of its RLS technology. Gathering customer preferences data without a genuine interest in introducing a helmet would not amount to much. On the contrary, we can assure you of Rocken's genuine intention to create a new helmet designed specifically for the market segment expressing the clearest needs in term of helmets with integrated visors. The reality is, however, that Rocken is not a multinational company with unlimited means. We are rather a small company with dedicated, passionate employees, but humble financial means. The development, production and marketing of a ski/snowboard helmet requires a capital investment that is substantial. Rocken simply cannot afford not properly meeting the needs of its target customers, nor can it afford introducing a helmet in a market segment with limited or no interest. It is very simple: if the survey reveals that there is sufficient interest in helmets with integrated visors to justify the investment, and that our technology can meet the needs of our target customers, we will make the helmet. If not, we will not. This is why we are cautious when speaking of our future helmet. We prefer under-promising and over-delivering to the reverse.

We, at Rocken, are Canadian skiers and snowboarders who love wearing Bollé's Osmoz helmet. It's convenient, it's light, it has a broad field of view which provides a feeling of freedom, and you can wear your prescription glasses with it. However, we may be biased: hey, the RLS technology is our baby! This is why we want to hear from you, the other skiers and snowboarders out there. The unbiased ones. Tell us what you like and what you don't like. Tell us what you wish for. You just might get it ! Very Happy
snow report
@RockenHelmet, I'll give you this - your system looks better than most - certainly better than Bolles other visor system.
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@under a new name, Look at the Sweet website and you'll see it's all pseudo science and supposedly innovative materials.

If you ask people that do white water kyaking (or how you spell it) who may hit heads off a rock or two. Many would not have anyhting but a Sweet on their head.

I wasn't commenting on the quality of Sweet's helmets merely pointing out that they, like most other manufacturers, believe they buying public can be swayed by talk of 'high quality materials.' It may or may not matter in the real world, but it matters when selling the helmets.
latest report
I always thought the Dianese V Jets looked pretty cool, and especially practical if you have to wear specs. Even if you don't sunnies underneath is fine. I can see that in deep powder pounding down steep inclines they may have their limits with keeping snow out from the upward direction but other than that...

Courchevel is certainly riddled with them...
latest report
I've worn helmets for the last 20 years and I've been teaching since 2000, a couple of years ago and I had a bad smash (thanks to a drunk fat greman, gyro saved my life). Following a cat scan and a trip to the shop, I walked out with my first visor lid. Slokker Balo with the full reactive visor. I went for one as I could never find gogles that felt ok on my nose and I didn't want to go through the s$#t of finding goggles and helmet to fit. Not only did it fit well, the field of view is far better. Yes there is a draft, but it stops misting. Very easy to flip up as you walk into a cafe or lift. At the far end of the spectrum I've put my ultra dark lenses or my Oakley yellow lenses sunglasses on and it's worked a treat.

It's a lot more personable if you're talking to others, as you can flick it up and you don't look like robo cop......"bend ze kneez unt follow me." Cool
latest report
@Skimuppet, welcome to snowHead
snow conditions
@Skimuppet, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
I had a bit of a start when I saw a post from @Megamum, then I see you have bumped a 2 year old H thread on a Monday morning.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:

I wasn't commenting on the quality of Sweet's helmets merely pointing out that they, like most other manufacturers, believe they buying public can be swayed by talk of 'high quality materials.' It may or may not matter in the real world, but it matters when selling the helmets.

Sure, same as car and shoe manufacturers talk of their high quality leathers etc. People liking high quality materials over cheap plastic is hardly a shocker, is it?

However speaking as a whitewater kayaker as well as a skier, I have absolutely no doubt that Sweet are the best. I have three of their helmets for various uses, including one 10 year old number that I've smashed off a number of rocks in obscure Scottish ditches which I still use (albeit the rivers here tend to be a lot deeper, and when they're not I generally use my full face Sweet helmet instead).

Edit: OOPS old thread Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy