Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is stylish always good

Poster: A snowHead
The Flying Gooseberry, "economy of motion"?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about the word 'neat'? I think those skiers that ski 'stylishly' are those skiing neatly. No flailing arms (as referred to earlier), no wild leg movements, demonstrable control of their situation and I find the skiers that I spot are often those who are not tearing down the mountain as fast as they possibly can.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was this stylish and efficient?

http://youtube.com/v/tVMJKIx34SE
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, when you are racing against the clock nothing else matters. On that day on that course he was the most effective skier. Pointless comparing that run with anyone who isn't skiing against the clock. I'd love to see Klammer free skiing though...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar,

For €69 you can Ski with Franz for a couple of hours before the pistes open. 2hr Ski Pass and breakfast included.

http://www.harmonys.at/wellness-hotel-kaernten/franz-klammer-wedelwonne

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 10-01-14 12:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A few years ago while heading up a lift parallel to a piste while on a lesson some of our party who "don't need lessons" skiied beneath us by chance. Having spotted them we pointed them out to the instructor and asked him to comment on their skiing. His words were "they ski like my mum".

Therefore my definition of style would be avoiding that comment ever being leveled at me!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
... €69 ...
A bargain!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flet©h, his mum could well have been a ski instructor. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, I don't think it was stylish, it must have been efficient though or else he wouldn't have won.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Flet©h, his mum could well have been a ski instructor. wink

.... or Rosi Mittermaier.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all. To paraphrase Basement Jaxx "If everybody skied the same we'd get tired of lookin at each other"
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB, at points he looks exactly like a skier skiing at or just beyond the limit of his abilities.

Which is one thing if you are more or less the best skier of your generation and are doing so at a more or less consistent 100kph on the Hahnenkamm but quite another if you're on a blue run at around 10kph with your jacket flapping open, screaming for help.

I am quite sure at one point however that FK must have thought to himself, "ohhh, thaaat's what carving feels like!" His skis are railing it while he's trying to hold on. A most magnificent performance.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wonder how many times in that run he thought he was about to stack it? Do you think he had such an iron belief that he just KNEW he'd be able to hang on or did he feel he got away with it a couple of times. I haven't seen that film before - just amazing. And no, I wouldn't call it elegant or stylish just utterly brilliant.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think I'd call that performance 'b@lls of ruddy steel!!"
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
The Flying Gooseberry, "economy of motion"?
Yes, but the motion must be constant, no shopping for turns etc.
Wow, I've never seen that Klammer video. That's quite something. Stylish it certainly aint, but...just...wow! Very Happy
ski holidays
jedster, I seem to recall reaadin an old interview where he basically said that he knew he had to pull out all the stops. He claims he knew what he was doing all along. http://www.theguardian.com/travel/audio/2009/feb/15/skiing1
snow report
Quote:

He claims he knew what he was doing all along

I suspect he did but only in the sense of taking a conscious calculated risk. It was a poo-poo or bust attempt and he knew it could go two ways
latest report
I guess it's hard to be "stylish" when you're on the verge of killing yourself every few seconds. One of the goals of holiday skiers is, presumably, to be able to ski just a bit faster but still safely and in 100% control, and not break anything. You don't win gold medals in downhill racing by staying 100% in control and avoiding injury.
snow report
Today's Flashman anti-style point. Do not wipe out under chairlift when attempting parallel turns while going backwards (slowly). People will laugh at you.

No style points there. None.

Stay tuned for more style failures.
ski holidays
Harry Flashman, ah, Harry 100% for no style, well done.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy