Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it worth the effort? Crap skier needs help (and possible full body transplant)

Poster: A snowHead
Where would we be without choccy blancmange? I'm sureRusty Guy, must have eaten it - what do you call it in the states? Yummy!!! Similar to those little pots of choccy stuff with cream on top - you must have those.

Under - terrain - absolutely 100% agreement here. All this "you must ski a blue/red/black" is rubbish - you need easy to learn on. Not just you Marg, but everyone. Build up gradually.

ps: ski, is also a pro ski teacher - that's 3 of us - I hope you're feeling more encouraged now. Repeat after me: "my ski teacher will not get fed up"!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone tried that dutch stuff: Chocolate Vla. sort of choccy custard mmmmmmmmmmm
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers for the wobbly reference rob@rar etc.... True of course, for blancmange.. the general idea being it doesn't have much , er, strength...
I love this website. On the strength of Saturday's encouragement, today I bought a new pair of trousers (that'll be pants to you, Rusty Guy) and I feel gorgeous.
If I could afford to go to Winter Park, Colorada I'd be out there tonight! Next year, who knows. I'm going to pluck up courage to phone the Saas Fee ski school. I'll let you know...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Marg, I’m a newbie here myself and your plea for help struck a chord. I first had a go on the white stuff about 8 years go, I had a few lessons at Tamworth Snowdome and then did a week in Lake Louise. To say I was cr@p would be an understatement, my two girls (aged 6 and 8 at the time) could leave me standing, and after 10 minutes in a ‘snow plough’ my legs were on fire.

Although I enjoyed my first go on a hill, cost and other things got in the way and I didn’t ski again until three years ago. My wife had tried to learn in her teens but found it too difficult, so we both did the one-day ‘learn to ski’ course at the Leeds snow dome. It helped a lot and gave us both the confidence to ‘try again’.

Cutting a long story short we have since been away for three weeks each year, skied a variety of European resorts and now are totally bitten by the bug. My wife has gone from being so nervous she had to take her skis off and walk down the nursery slope at Pila (which is about 30 feet long) to handling Blues and Reds with some confidence. We both still avoid the really steep or icy stuff but there’s always another way down.

The one piece of advice I would dare to give you is that private lessons are worth every penny. Learning to ski in a large group can involve a lot of standing around watching other learners, but one-to-ones let the instructor really focus on you and your needs. We’ve had instructors whose English wasn’t great (Bend Ze Knees!) but they were still able to help us improve, and we’ve had others who were very ‘technical’ explaining all about pressure, and angle, and shape. It was all good stuff and our favourite was ‘Magio’ at Courmayeur who was 60 if he was a day, had a face the colour of old walnut and a 30 year-old glamour model wife. He was of the ‘keep the skis 2 mill apart, and plant your pole at every turn’ school of thought, but he made the whole thing very enjoyable.

I can also recommend Interski for their quality of care and service. They are used to looking after school parties so a few old duffers like us present no problem.

Hope you get on well this year, keep at it, it does get easier and you will get there.

P.S. This board looks like a great source of information from knowledgeable and helpful folk who really love skiing – I’m glad I found it!

P.P.S If anyone is in Val d’isere at Christmas this year and sees a fat Englishman doing a nose plant on a blue run, chances are it’s me. Very Happy

Cheers

SimonT
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Rusty Guy wrote:
OK....a little help......blancmange?

Laughing

It's a dessert, sort of a wobbly, solidified custard, often flavoured with things such as strawberry or raspberry (or more likely, chemicals that approximarte the taste and colour/color of those fruits).

this is good.....learning something every day
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
veeeight, good idea. Or, get along to one of the three-hour discount sessions that have free coaching. I've never seen evidence of this, but apparently you also get a free cup of tea, too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Axsman - legs on fire! Exactly! That's why I've been doing spin cycling for months to try to give the blancmange some reinforcement! I'm pleased to hear, though, that even Bode Miller gets it, although he's a bit better than me, I think. Perhaps I could send him a handy-hint about spin cycling?
Sarah at Saas Fee skischule tells me that they do have nice instructors, eeek! and I have booked one (don't know who, they'll have to draw lots and prepare for reconstructive group therapy) for two hours a day for four days to see how it goes. It ain't cheap but it's got to be worth it. If I hadn't had such a good response here I might not have bothered, I may have just turned up hoping they couldn't fit me in and given up. I'm raring to go, and my new Freedom pants/trousers (20% off) will help, too.
Rusty guy - what's a twinkie, then? And do you like Seinfeld? Is he married?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seinfeld is one of the best written comedies on television, and hence where I get my pseudonym from.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Marg - seeing as you're in the Midlands - I still say give the private lessons at Tamworth Snowdome a go.

Two sessions are going to help you find your ski legs again, give you some focus, and if you want reccommendations as to who to ask for, PM me.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
veeeight, Good shout snowHead .. I'd say Marg, it's vital to get on your skis ASAP. Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Marg wrote:
Axsman - what's a twinkie, then? And do you like Seinfeld? Is he married?

what's a twinkie? it's the staff of life...... and what every red blooded, middle aged, american male was raised on.

i find it hard to believe anyone this side of katmandu does not know, and assume your just kidding, however.....

a prepackaged dessert, about the size of a sausage, it is a sweet sponge cake filled with a white creme center.

first made in the late sixties and a newer version chocolate covered.

partly responsible for my waistline and clogged arteries

don't watch/like seinfeld!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rusty Guy, as you say, learning something every day. I'd been led to believe it was a young lady with the lights all on but no-one at home, or alternatively a young man who "batted for the other side" Wink . But then one asks whether either of those is inconsistent with
Quote:
what every red blooded, middle aged, american male was raised on.

Very Happy Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like twinkies Little Angel

and Oreos!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rusty Guy probably doesn't know what custard is either. I will never forget the face of an American to whom I had to describe it. A mix of incredulity and disgust. "You mean you mix cornstarch, vanilla, colouring and milk, then pour it over your dessert?" The difference is that blancmange stands up - just. Which is why it is such a good descriptor for reluctant legs. Incidentally, Rusty Guy, despite the apparently frenchy name, it is pronounced "blummonj". Snowheads for international understanding. Confused
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
veeeight, I've always wondered what Oreos are - what are they? They're always mentioned in US TV and films.

I always thought Twinkies were a sort of breakfast cereal - now I know better - thanksRusty Guy,
snow conditions
easiski, they're a sort of dark chocolate, round "custard cream", with a white filling. Very moreish Toofy Grin .
ski holidays
easiski,

Oreos

But beware.

Oreos made on the North American continent (the genuine article) taste completely different from Oreos made elsewhere in the World.

The genuine ones taste orgasmic, the ones made elsewhere taste like burnt ratshit.

*** edited to put the page back to size.**** HB (mod)
snow conditions
veeeight wrote:
The genuine ones taste orgasmic, the ones made elsewhere taste like burnt ratshit.
I bow and pay great homage to your knowledge of the taste of burnt substances, but I wonder when and why you would have tasted such a unpleasantly named substance.
snow report
veeeight, thanks for that - they would appear to be either a biscuit or a cake! Very Happy
latest report
Marg, sorry to shout, but I feel it my civic snowHead duty to say GET DOWN TO YOUR LOCAL DRY SLOPE/SNOW DOME BEFORE YOU GO TO SAAS FEE! Sorry for yelling. Er hem.

Doing it (i.e. having lessons, and practicing) before you leave = progress faster.

I was in a similar position end of last season - after an intensive week's lessons at start of season I then managed no progression by the end of the season (to my mind anyway), depsite a week on the snow every month. So a few months ago I popped down't my local dry slope & after about 3 lessons with an instructor, I had managed to improve to the standard I wanted to be at.

Moral of story - take advantage of local dryslope/snowdome instruction, NOW!
snow report
Marg

I did about 14 hours of dry slope lessons over 3 weeks (yup! complete glutton for punishment!) before I went skiing the first time and it really helped me, so if you haven't tried any, I think they are a really worthwhile investment. Not having other people whizzing past you and having a relatively short bit of dry slope rather than seemingly infinite expanse of snow (what happens if I can't stop?!!) really helped me to first get my confidence up. Also, now you've done a couple of weeks on the snow you will probably be better than a lot of the others and that will help you realise you are much better than you think you are, even if not in the Klammer league of your own mates!

Quote:

My otherwise lovely partner has been lucky to escape a ski pole through the head, for example "Steep? That's practically uphill!" I do like the mountains and the hot chocolate with brandy outside, and the atmosphere in the evenings but I do HATE the "you can't fall over THERE" looks. I've heard skiing accross the pond is good because they're less snooty?

That made me laugh! Never normally shout at mine, but agree skiing is the time you do it! I've realised part of my trouble is not eating enough in the afternoon! I never normally eat from lunch to supper, and so (duh!) didn't eat anything skiing either, by 3.30pm after lots of cold and exercise to use up all the calories, I was a snarling-low-blood-sugar fiend! I now eat a Lion Bar at 3ish and carry on to the end of the day with no cross words (ha ha ha! fewer anyway! Blush )

Finally, sorry to hear about your 'can't fall over there stares' ~ I think most people are too busy getting on with skiing / falling over themselves to be that bothered, really, and it can be in your own head a bit - "God that's the third time I've fallen over, everyone must think I am a complete idiot!" ~ and I have actually had complete strangers come over and ask if I was all right / help me up / get my ski back after falling into undignified heaps on the snow, and watching said partner ski out of view! And they were all in Europe.... so there are friendly ones over here too!

Anyway, must stop chuntering on - i will get a reputation as the most chuntering snowHead !!!!!
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
veeeight, I've always wondered what Oreos are - what are they? They're always mentioned in US TV and films.

I always thought Twinkies were a sort of breakfast cereal - now I know better - thanksRusty Guy,

no one has mentioned "doublestuf" oreos.
snow conditions
Rusty Guy, What are they??
ski holidays
Rusty Guy, But you DON'T LIKE SEINFELD? Wow.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
Rusty Guy, What are they??

double the quantity of creme filling. a dozen with milk are to die for. i'm ashamed to say i,ve never watched a single episode of seinfeld.

easiski......send me an e-mail and i'll ship you a bag!

guyrb@msn.com
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy