Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for some options due to lack of snow in Tyrol(Kitzbuehel)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Leaving for Kitzbuehel/Fiberbrunn tomorrow and m looking for some suggestions/alternatives as the snow depth is pretty poor.

With virtually no off-piste to speak off the options are Hintertux, Stubai and the Kitzsteinhorn for glacier skiing. We have a car and am only in the area for short time so other than hire some 72mm piste skis and stay above the 'techinical' snow what are our best options.

It looks to really heat up this week.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roscoeh, get in touch with JohnBarr &/or espri as they can tell you exactly what the skiing is like. They are both based there. Try sending a PM to each as they will then get a mail informing them of your message. Eric lives in Fieberbrunn as you probably know and is out skiing almost every day. Depth is not everything as each region and land type has its own characteristics. The off-piste is not looking good right now, but even with a huge dump f snow, off-piste would be extremely dangerous right now because of the conditions in late November and during December.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A mate has been at Stubai for the past couple of days, apparently they got 'much' fresh snow yesterday, and a lot bit today, but as today got warmer it's all pretty heavy now.

Oeztal (Obergurgl, Soelden) should also have got some, presumably Hintertux too - go as south as possible.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Your nearest option is kits stein horn. Max 30 mins drive. Bloody auto correct but hope that makes sense.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
am thinking about going even further south. Italy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You won't find any deep powder in the Kitzbühel area, not even on the glaciers, I expect, for it hasn't snowed much for weeks. This doesn't mean there is no off-piste skiing (e.g. alongside the Hochsaukaser piste in the Kitzbühel/Kirchberg area) but it isn't great stuff, rather rough and tracked. I spoke with Widmann (Fieberbrunn ski school) yesterday and they suggested speaking with them again on Wednesday, probably with some possibilities for touring. It would be about 1 hr 20 min drive from St. Johann to the Kitzsteinhorn.

More snow did fall in Osttirol (East Tyrol) and maybe in Italy in the last weeks but whether the conditions are suitable for off-piste skiing there, I cannot say.

I work on the principle that you make the best of the conditions as they are. Piste skiing is presently fine and should be quieter from tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are we still meeting you Espri? We will be in town on tues. Skiing wed and thurs locally I think and possibly driving down to Sella Ronda. Maybe doing a day at one of the glaciers.

Anything high up and with a short hike in Fieberbrunn? Back of the Henne or to skiiers right of piste 11?

Not really expecting decent off piste any more will settle for some decent pisted runs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roscoeh wrote:
Are we still meeting you Espri?
Yes, happy to do so. Just say where and when.
roscoeh wrote:
We will be in town on tues. Skiing wed and thurs locally I think and possibly driving down to Sella Ronda. Maybe doing a day at one of the glaciers.
I don't see a day trip to the Sella Ronda as being feasible. That's miles away. Glaciers would be feasible. I haven't been on the Kitzsteinhorn for a while but there are some relatively recent photos here.
roscoeh wrote:
Anything high up and with a short hike in Fieberbrunn? Back of the Henne or to skiiers right of piste 11?
The hiking stuff is maybe what Widmann is thinking of. I don't know what the avalanche situation is like around Fieberbrunn. I have hardly tried the slightly off-piste stuff on the Hochhörndl (piste 11) this season and it is much as in Kitzbühel, I think, rough and tracked.
roscoeh wrote:
Not really expecting decent off piste any more will settle for some decent pisted runs.
Pistes are mostly fine, only bare in a few places.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stubai has had over a metre of new snow in the past two weeks...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have skied all 3 of the glaciers you mention - and given the current conditions I would choose the Stubai. Aside from the piste ski-ing options there are a few itinerary routes plus a freeride guiding outfit based in Neustift they will take you to the best snow in the area. Enjoy your trip - I am off to Galtur/Ischgl on the 18th and starting to get a little anxious - we need something major pretty soon.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy