Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend a family resort for all

Poster: A snowHead
I travel each year with a mixed group.
1 learner on green runs
1 that likes to cruise the blues
2 that like blues and reds
2 five year old children that have just completed their first week of ski school. They need easy access to slopes for next year. With lots of blues to play on.

Is there a family ski resort that would suit us all?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Courchevel 1650 might be a good bet. It has excellent beginner and cruisey blue slopes, and being part of the 3valleys there is plenty for those who want a challenge. 1650 has less of the "dogs in burberry jackets" that 1850 suffers from and generally has a really nice atmosphere.
I'd say La Plagne (particularly Belle Plagne) and La Rosiere are excellent family resorts, but your signature indicates you have been to both these resorts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree Courchevel 1650 is a good choice. If you are looking for something smaller and cheaper, try Les Saisies.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I'd say Vallandry as it ticks all the boxes for us

Plenty of fun runs for kids, plenty of nice blues and the whole of Paradaski to play with for the more experienced. We've been there last few years and skiing with my kids (aged 4 when starting) and grandparents in mid-70s.

Search on Vallandry and Boris and you'll find some trip reports and pics if interested - as I have them saved

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2244130
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1215625
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FastCarver74, I really should return to La Plagne. My first visit was 'challenging'. We did not book lessons and struggled all week (shock and surprise). Just got back from La Ros (yesterday) and already thinking ahead. Quite liked La Ros. Not a huge ski area but enough for me. My only concern is the children. You have two ways out or resort. The chairlift to the top or two rather 'snap and jerk' buttons. The girls will be 6 next year though so hopefully they will be a bit stronger and will handle the buttons.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Should have said I need resorts with reputable family skiing companies. Childcare for 2 infants is essential as well as getting kids to ski school. If the kids are happy, we all ski happy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike-H - Check out Ski Esprit.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Childcare for 2 infants is essential as well as getting kids to ski school

Ah well, Les Saisies would be no good - it's DIY childcare. wink Snowbizz in Puy st Vincent have a good reputation here on Snowheads.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Thanks I will check that
FastCarver74, I love Ski Esprit. We have used them twice and may use next year. I will write a full trip review in due course. You can find my previous reviews on SH forum.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike-H, Champoluc? we have an apartment beside the main cable car if you are s/c otherwise www.ski2.com seem very well organised and have their own ski school...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike-H, I'd go for Chalet Hotel Des Deux Domains in Belle Plagne with Ski Esprit.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can pretty much rule out Vallandry as well as not aware of any of the TOs using it - although Ski Beat have a chalet and there is a Club Med in Peisey
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Can pretty much rule out Vallandry as well as not aware of any of the TOs using it

a key recommendation for any ski area. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, indeed Laughing

TOs do of course use various Arc resorts, but Vallandry is pretty much self-catering in apartments booked direct with owner, we of course find it ideal but doesn't sound like it would fit OP's requirements for ski school etc
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonpim wrote:
Mike-H, I'd go for Chalet Hotel Des Deux Domains in Belle Plagne with Ski Esprit.

Personally I think their place in Courchevel 1850 - Crystal 2000 is better value, and Courchevel is a great area, plenty for everybody. For the lessons, Esprit use the mini bus to take your children to the nursery slopes / meeting points.
ski holidays
pam w, And when my nippers are a tad bigger I will probably agree with you Smile
Jonpim, Prefer chalet rather than chalet hotel. I like the kids in the next room until they are a bit bigger.
ski holidays
Mike-H, try http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/

We went with them for about 4 years on the trot when our kids were 2+
latest report
Mike-H wrote:
pam w, And when my nippers are a tad bigger I will probably agree with you Smile
Jonpim, Prefer chalet rather than chalet hotel. I like the kids in the next room until they are a bit bigger.

BOth Crystal 2000 & Des Deux Domaines have interconnecting and family rooms which mean they are in the room right next and no locks between you and them. It is actually why I favour the Chalet Hotels - that and the baby listening service.
ski holidays
NickyJ, I think the skiing in Courchevel is terrific for everybody but I'd forgotten how expensive it can be. I took my son to 1850 a week or so ago - he's cooking for Russians in a posh chalet - and we arrived at 0830 and decided to find a coffee and croissant. Two coffees (one admittedly a double) and two plain croissants - €17.10. I can have an excellent "plat du jour", more wine than it's wise to drink in the middle of the day and a coffee for that in Les Saisies. Or chicken wings and chips for two, at the basic end of things. Laughing

When my kids were little I could never afford to pay anyone else to look after them - our family now does what most French families round here do - have grandma do it. That's me. Confused
snow report
pam w wrote:
NickyJ, I think the skiing in Courchevel is terrific for everybody but I'd forgotten how expensive it can be. I took my son to 1850 a week or so ago - he's cooking for Russians in a posh chalet - and we arrived at 0830 and decided to find a coffee and croissant. Two coffees (one admittedly a double) and two plain croissants - €17.10. I can have an excellent "plat du jour", more wine than it's wise to drink in the middle of the day and a coffee for that in Les Saisies. Or chicken wings and chips for two, at the basic end of things. Laughing

When my kids were little I could never afford to pay anyone else to look after them - our family now does what most French families round here do - have grandma do it. That's me. Confused

We have used Grandparents once, we have used Sister in law once, but although it went OK the service hasn't been offered again. I think mainly because the Grandparents wanted to ski as well, and begrudged given up a couple of days to look after children. Also now we are tied to school holidays it makes it even more expensive for them to join us and it is cheaper to pay for the childcare than to pay the difference in their holiday costs over them going off-peak. Also to be perfectly honest I have got the impression my children enjoyed the kids clubs more, they love playing with other children around their age.
ski holidays
Oh and on cost - we made sure we went to 1550 or 1650 for lunch MUCH better value
latest report
Mike-H,

We've been to Serre Chevalier and Peisey Vallandry, and I think both would suit your needs (with Serre Chevalier perhaps the best overall for your group - plenty of nice gentle runs as well s more challenging stuff). Trip reports here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98061
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=86952

chemistry
snow report
Mike-H, any budgetry constraints? You going new year week each year?

As you rightly point out this is all about sorting out provision for the kids. I have never used them (I DIY) but I've read enough threads on here to know Ski Esprit is the solid bet.

Who and how did you book your La Ros trip with, assuming the kids went on that?
latest report
chemistry, Thanks for that. I'll read reviews.
Layne, 3 trips so far. 1 x Crystal - OK but not many chalet options with childcare on the doorstep. 2 x Esprit (inc La Ros this year). We always go at NY. Wife is a teacher so I am tied to the wallet killer weeks. 1 week for 4 costs about £4k upwards. Can't find many alternatives to Esprit that offer the level of childcare we expect. Chalet this year could have been cleaner and the food better but the childcare is good. Sounds like I am answering my own questions. May be back to La Ros (or another resort) using Esprit until the kids can ski with me all week.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy