Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Length of my skis - question please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, new here!

I have a question that I can't get a solid answer from elsewhere on the web. I'm going to Niseko this month so please help!

I have a question on the length of skis. I see from the web that it should be anywhere from chin to forehead depending on how advanced you are apparently. I've also had others tell me that a ski that reaches up to the chin is way too short and it should really be forehead and above.

As a background, I've been skiing 6 days in total. I skiied Whistler last year, loved it and progressed quite well. I can do blue runs pretty comfortably now... with maybe a fall every 2-3 runs! So I'd say I'm out of beginner territory and edging up to intermediate. I aim to go skiing 5 days a year.

Firstly, I would like to buy my own skis for convenience (please tell me if this is a silly idea based on how much I aim to ski a year!). Just as a side note, I'm keen for the Salomon RS800 or Rossignol Pursuit 14's.

Secondly, I am 170cm in height and would like to ask if 156cm is ok (it comes up just to the tip of my nose).

Thank you so much for opinions!
DY Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good choice with Niseko, it dumps snow like you would not believe!

I personally think that you're looking a bit short ski wise due to the volume of snow, especially if you're looking to get off piste. - Sometimes even the trails are "off piste" due to the snow.

Tracks can be filled in prior to the next run, and I'm talking right under the chairs.

Most people look to going wider and longer to better cope with deep snow, and rocker and early rise will help as well.

Starting point would be 170 and 90mm wide at your height. - I'm 181 and ski 186cms with 112 underfoot.

Jan and Feb is powder season, you're going to get some serious snow for sure!

Enjoy it!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply. If I aim for 170cm and 90mm width then would that be ok for less powdery runs at Whistler?? I still want to be able to turn easily! I will rarely ski in the powder-heaven that is niseko.

The other question I had was how to find out more about the (safe) off-piste runs at Niseko. I'll repost that question in a more appropriate area of the forum though!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you got your own boots? If not getting properly fitted boots sorted out first should be your priority, they will make far more difference to your skiing than your own skis. Rent skis and for your week a year you can have the latest and greatest model every time, buy and at that level of use your skis will probably last a few decades!
Off piste hire a guide! Its very easy to get yourself into a situation that puts both your and the rescue team's lives in danger if you don't know what you are doing!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with davkt - if you don't have boots then they should be the first priority. If you do then I would still seriously consider just renting skis. Skis have changed so much in the last few years and if you are skiing a week a year you may be on some very outdated skis after a few years and your technique may have improved so much that whatever suits your skiing now may be no good for you in a few years. Also over that time you could have had the latest greatest skis for your level of skiing at less cost.

If you are set on buying then I recommend getting the advice of a good ski shop. Weight is actually much more important than height with respect to ski length - essentially you need to be able to flex the ski as it was designed to do. This is a combination of weight, ski design, ability and skiing style (aggressiveness).

Enjoy Niseko - I am jealous!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
domyue, if you're not sure, you really need to try some more skis before spending a load of money. Can't you rent in Niseko? As above, deal with boots first, far more important than skis.

Also bear in mind that a lot of the advice you will receive here is from very experienced skiiers who seem to love big long fat skis. For someone who has just done their first week of skiing this is likely to be advice that could create a few issues for you - at 170 I wouldn't jump straight onto skis longer than 165, but my advice would be to rent skis for this trip and try out a couple of different lengths and widths, see what the conditions are like out there and what works for you.

For reference, I am just over 180 tall and won't ski anything longer than 172, and I've been skiing on and off for about 10 years. I see quite a few people who buy monster long skis based on bad advice too early and I also see them on ebay sooner or later, depending on how much money they've spent and how stubborn they are Smile

All this said, 156 is probably as short as you should be looking at now. I'd try out some at 156, some at 160, and some at 165 and see how they feel.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
domyue, The only thing to be aware of is that such a ski is a bit of a compromise although a brilliant all rounder, if as you improve you get a chance to practice some drills on hardpacked pistes you can always hire a pure carving ski etc for a day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I ski a Salomon Q98 at 172 cm and I am around 180 cm and about 63kgs. Is this the right height?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
domyue, If you have only skied for 6 days, you are going to progress (hopefully) rapidly. The skis that will suit you now may disappoint you after a few more weeks of improvement. So rent for now.

As others have said, properly fitted boots are the one and only priority.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
domyue, +1 on the buy boots and rent skis. Ask in the hire shops if they'll let you swap skis during the time you're out there. My mates girlfriend tried a couple of different skis out whilst we were in Japan last year. It's a faff to carry skis on holiday as well!

Lengthwise for a first ski you don't want anything too long or wide. It'll hamper learning the fundamentals and not be very enjoyable for the majority of your skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thats some great advice - thanks a lot everyone!

I am going to get my own boots, yes. As advised, I think I'll go with renting skis, trying out the different lengths and seeing what works.

One other thing... (I'm not sure if I'll tread on the toes of those who love new gear here!): Do ski technology really change that much? For example, would a 2011/13 mid-range ski differ in performance noticeably compared with its decendent in 2013/14?? If I'm not gunning for pro/expert double-blacks level, so would it really matter if I had skis 10 years old as long as I keep them in good condition?

Thanks and forgive my new-to-the-sport questions!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
domyue, some only change graphics and some change quite dramatically, it really depends. It's usually easy to research though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I used to buy my own skis and change them every couple of years......there was something quite exiting and magical about choosing and buying the 'latest' skis.

I have skied maybe 12-20 days per season, and thought I was getting good value from my 'purchases'.

However, about 4/5 years ago, I saw the light (in my humble opinion), when I took my own skis to Obergurgl, and it dumped 30-40 cm overnight one time, and I decided to try some fatter powder skis.......WOW Skullie Skullie Skullie I loved them on the soft snow, which my then narrowish GS skis did not...

What I realised was that for not too much money (say £80 to £100 for a weeks 'gold' level hire) I could swap for pretty much any skis they had on the rack depending on the conditions, and also just try out new skis at my leisure.....

So I sold my own skis and have rented ever since, have skied on some awesome bits of kit that I could never have 'owned', and had so much fun doing it. I can also pretty much guarantee that I have the right ski for the prevailing conditions.

Just my humble half penny's worth, good luck and enjoy Japan - very jealous lol..... NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
domyue, With skis 10 years old you may have missed early rise tips or rocker making life harder in powder and soft snow. I'm 177 cm and ski 177 x 98mm underfoot early rise tip skis, but I bought those after 5 years of skiing a fair bit (16 weeks) and demoing quite a few various skis over the last year. Some I hated, some just gelled and made me want to ski on no matter how tired my legs were. It is so individual that advice is basically useless apart from pointing you in the right direction. Saying that, my skis are now 6 years old and still going strong, I've demoed quite a few fatter, with rocker etc and so far nothing has made me want to change them. But I have now bought some slalom skis for hard pistes because they are just so much fun and will turn on a sixpence.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy