Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off piste aspirations-skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I've been skiing for around 10 weeks now, confident intermediate, get around any grade of piste in varying conditions, can get down moguls-although without too much style Very Happy

Off piste I'm pretty poor, ok on cut up stuff but fresh deep stuff I find very difficult-suppose being recreational I could ski 2 weeks per year and not get these conditons.

My current ski are Head Supershape Magnums, I love them on piste, they're nice and responsive and good in the cruddy stuff too. They're pretty stiff to me but Im tall about 6'3" and around 17st.

My question is would a more all mountain or off piste ski aid me in becoming a better off piste skier or should I just work on my technique? The Heads are 71 in the waist from memory, would I notice much benefit off piste if I went for something in the 80mm range or does the width need to be greater to notice any differece? How much float can a big lump actually expect regardless? Toofy Grin I apprecaite there's more to it thn just the width off the ski too.

I've been looking at All Mountain skis as I've tried 'fat skis' 100mm plus but the off piste conditions weren't great and I just found them 'hard work' on piste-easier to skid turns rather than carve. At my level I'd rather have something that handles well on piste that can handle 'a bit' of off piste so something maybe 50:50?

Is there such a thing as a true do it all ski or are there always compromises to be made?

I'm doing a Snoworks All Terrain course in Feb so thinking of picking something up second hand that I can sell on if I want towards the end of March or hold on to until next season or indefinately if I get on with them.

Been looking at some second hand 2013 Nordica Fire Arrows, seem to be a we;; thought of 50:50 ski, tried an older model when buying some boots a while back in Glasgow but not really a true refelction. I could always hire in resort if I turn up to masses of powder, but I've already got carriage so will be taking at least one pair.

Aprreciate any feedback and opinions.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go for an all mountain ski i.e. Volkl Mantra etc. It's definitely worth working on technique and possibly getting a specific workshop on the go next time you're out in the mountains, but it's still an excellent excuse to treat yourself to some new kit Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rasmanisar, Cheers, I'm a bit of a gear whore to be honest wink

Doing an All Terrain course as I hope the focus to be bumps and off piste, a week of total off piste would kick my back bottom.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Width underfoot gives floatation & length gives fore/aft stability. At 6'3"/17st you're gonna need a big ski. Tip rocker, bit of camber & no tail rocker gives a great all mtn spec. Whitedot Ranger Pro 195 would be good for your stats.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You probably want something a bit more forgiving than the Mantra though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, Thanks will have a look at those, my worry is at 195 asume length? May take some getting used to on piste-although also assume the actual ski to snow contact is less with upturned shovel and tail? My Heads are 177's but appreciate all mountain/off piste you go longer.

meh, I kind of got told by an instructor due to my size I could get away with a stiffer ski if this is what you meant? I'm a novice when it comes to gear other than I know what I've liked/disliked so far so all opinions are educational too!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bene, just don't go mad because you're looking for the kit to help not hinder your learning. Demoing seems like a good idea.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meh, Thanks will def bare that in mind.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To be honest - 1st priority for now would be to concentrate on your waist,(not your ski waist), invest in a cross trainer, pair of trail running shoes, mountain bike or possibly a gym membership get the weight down to somewhere in the range of 13.5 to 14.00 stone and you will be a lot fitter. (check with your doctor first). Once you have hit your goal you will find you will turn far more efficiently and with less effort and the flotation will be amazing. Next step reward yourself with the new ski's - by then you will look the part and not project the "all the gear no idea" image - just the observations of a blunt northerner but probably very true. Toofy Grin.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bene, I'm in a similar situation.
I am only slightly shorter and lighter than you.
Currently have head Titans in 177, just a slightly wider version of yours.
I have recently purchased a pair of Whitedot preachers in 189
And have also booked some off piste lessons.
Will be in tignes this time next week and can't wait to try them out
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Neville, good luck! Thank you again for sourcing my Dynastars - they performed very well in Austria over Christmas. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Flying Gooseberry, youve changed names again :0)
Glad you like them
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Flying Gooseberry, which Dynastars did you get?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bene, I would recommend hiring for the all terrain course (something in the 95-105mm waist range) and see how you get on. I am sure Snoworks would give you good advice.

Rossi soul 7s, at 106mm waist, are unbelievably awesome on piste, but I doubt whether you will find any second-hand pairs before the end of the season.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snoworks offer demo skis , salomon bbr and others I think , speak to them and they will save you buying something to soon
latest report
snowbandit, You assume as I'm 17st I'm over weight and out of shape, well OK I may be over weight but not unfit! Play rugby and run/mountain bike allot-can turn in a 10k in 45 mins in my current state. I think for my build if I shed a stone I'd be pretty thin-not been 13.5 to 14 st since I was about 13! Toofy Grin

All the gear and no idea, possibly. No offence taken though-fellow northerner here too. snowHead
ski holidays
snowbandit, a bit harsh!!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy