Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time organising my own trip! Any advice, tour operators, resort recommendations appreciated

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads Smile

I've only used this site once before to get some advice on technique, got some brilliant help- so I thought I'd come back. I am starting to look at booking my first trip 'by myself'. I have been with my school, and with my family- so have never really had to deal with the logistics (or the cost Embarassed) on my own.

I am looking at going late January, early February.

I am a non-driver so would like to go with a tour operator that provides transfers, or a resort with very straight-forward approaches to booking these transfers. I speak alrightish French, so going there would be sensible- but I have found it expensive, and better deals for other countries are coming up on searches on Thomas Cook. Cost is an important factor, and I don't really want to be spending more than £400 on flights, accom and transfers (Is this idealistic?)- however, I could possibly stretch to £600 for a all-in catered chalet that would cut down my spending money costs whilst I'm there. Obviously these figures are a bit up in the air- I just want a good deal! A tour operator that would let me put down a deposit and pay throughout the year would be amazing, but I don't know if any ski tour operators work like this? I've done it with beach holidays before. Non hideously expensive ski passes, or passes integrated within the full price would be great too!

So that's boring stuff like transfers and money, what I'd want in a hotel/resort is...

-Party atmosphere
-Wide scope of accommodation and accessible. This is so friends can spur of the moment join us if they so wish.
-Good ski school (my boyfriend only has a week's experience and from what I hear wasn't that good)
-Cheap and cheerful nightlife, places to grab a burger and pint. Not interested in the fancy restaurants that I've been to with my family!

Willing to answer any questions. It would be *so* ideal to go for something where I can pay over the year.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This year or next? I don't think any operators offer credit, so you'll def be paying upfront for anything this year.

Anywhere will be great those weeks, just see what is cheap on iglu. If you want a cheap lift pass and gear hire, try sauze d'oulx, montgenevre or passo tonale. Sauze is a good party town and cheap to be in, decent enough slopes (where have you liked before?)

For this year take a look at skiworld: http://www.skiworld.co.uk/jan-sale-eu

aj xx
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your reply a.j- this will be for 2015, so a year away.

Zell am See is my favourite resort I've been to!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cost depends on where you want to go and when. Are you talking 2014 or 2015 if you want to pay throughout the year. How many going? Ski school? Self catered or chalet/ hotel? Levels? Snow and suspicious parents features val d'isere so the nightlife must be pretty hot. Diy even as a non driver is not so hard to organise and can save loads. Plus self catered does mean visitors can crash.

5 of us going to Tignes February half term for 665 euros each for apartment, hire, school and lift pass. We are doing a mix of travel but two going by coach. 30% deposit on the apartment up front! the rest has gone weekly into a pot in the kitchen to cover it. Lots of people here recommend ucpa sadly I'm too old and daughter is too young but might be worth a look.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jellybabe wrote:
Cost depends on where you want to go and when. Are you talking 2014 or 2015 if you want to pay throughout the year. How many going? Ski school? Self catered or chalet/ hotel? Levels? Snow and suspicious parents features val d'isere so the nightlife must be pretty hot. Diy even as a non driver is not so hard to organise and can save loads. Plus self catered does mean visitors can crash.

5 of us going to Tignes February half term for 665 euros each for apartment, hire, school and lift pass. We are doing a mix of travel but two going by coach. 30% deposit on the apartment up front! the rest has gone weekly into a pot in the kitchen to cover it. Lots of people here recommend ucpa sadly I'm too old and daughter is too young but might be worth a look.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
quirkybird, look at holidays in UCPA centres in France, through Action-Outdoors. Everything is included - full board, pass, hire of gear, lessons and (optional extra) transfers from Geneva. I doubt if they have 2015 holidays sorted out yet but a look at this year's website will give you a good idea. You are very unlikely to get a cheaper holiday of the same quality - and some of the centres are in major "party towns" (though unless you have a lot of spare dosh for the bars, evenings in the Centre bar may be more affordable).

Why do you need to pay over a year to a tour operator? Open a "regular savings" account, pay into it each month, and you will get the benefit of interest. Fairly paltry at the moment but still better than giving it to a tour operator.

If you do a search on Snowheads you will find a number of reports of UCPA holidays - all positive, AFAIK.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
quirkybird, are you about to head off to uni? If so by far the cheapest trip will be the uni trip. Even if you aren't heading that way - ask friends who are and who ski, most uni's are accepting of +1s.

For prebooking normal tour operator deals I just load up iglu and sort by price Smile If it will be just you and a friend I'd tend to save up like pam suggest, wait until about this time next year and then pickup a late deal!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy