Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone converted to a boarder from skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
TQA wrote:
Started on skis at age 29. Did some boarding but hard boots on a Winterstick. I was lucky and had a very good instructor and was getting down fairly steep stuff on day 2. Being a surfer helps.

For the next few years it was 80% skis with the board reserved for the deep stuff.

Eventually transitioned to soft boots and a modern switch board. [ You try renting hard boots and a Winterstick ]

Gradually boarded less and less as I got to be an old fart. Crap knees are the restriction.

I find skiing is harder on my knees.

I had a day out with a mate who is a guide a couple of weeks. OMFG if ever I needed something to revive my love of boarding!! An amazing day in great powder.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm a skier but even I know 'boarding' is how you get on an aeroplane.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I converted from surfing so it was more 'natural', but still hard to break the old muscle memory habits. At least I didn't spend lots of time on my butt and I didn't get bruised learning to link turns.
Two separate pieces of wood, one for each leg!? Crazy idea. I am sure that'll never catch on.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I learnt on a Burton Twin 155 about 17 years ago, fell badly on steep ice (conditions above my ability, my fault) and broke some ribs so went back to skiing (I'm in my early 50's, skied since childhood).

Just been out to Les Arcs for a week with a group of boarders, I was on Rossi Sky7HD skis and rode everywhere they did, but they seemed to have more fun on boards. It was my 20 year old skateboarder sons first holiday on a snowboard and he is a natural, he loved it.

I have hence just bought me and my son a new board, boots and bindings each ready for our next trip. Next season I will try to look after my ribs a little better and have fun learning on a board again - wish me luck !!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the principle of trying anything on snow I took up snowboarding when I was about 45 (in the 1980s). I only ever did a few days each season. The learning process was sweaty and occasionally painful until I found just the right slope for my practice (on the Winklmoosalm). I am a slow learner at athletic activities. I have never achieved great competence in snowboarding, sticking to relatively easy pistes and going pretty slowly, but I did enjoy it when I did it. However, I haven't boarded now for 3 or 4 years and I doubt I'll go back to it. So I suppose I do prefer skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kat.ryb wrote:
However boards come into their own in good snow conditions and powder feels amazing.

But my skis come into their own in good snow conditions - and powder feels amazing! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Herne9 wrote:
I converted from surfing so it was more 'natural', but still hard to break the old muscle memory habits. At least I didn't spend lots of time on my butt and I didn't get bruised learning to link turns.
Two separate pieces of wood, one for each leg!? Crazy idea. I am sure that'll never catch on.

I grew up surfing and wakeboarding. Sliding sideways feels natural. I tried skiing but it felt weird to be sliding facing forward.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bergmeister wrote:
kat.ryb wrote:
However boards come into their own in good snow conditions and powder feels amazing.

But my skis come into their own in good snow conditions - and powder feels amazing! Very Happy

You have snowboarding to thank for that.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snoway. wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
kat.ryb wrote:

Along with parabolic edges, twin tips, rocker technology. Skiers should bow down and worship snowboarding with gratitude for everything it has done to improve their sport.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I spent a season in Whistler having never skied or boarded before. Didn’t work, just bought a season lift pass and season lesson pass. I spent the first month learning to board. Make sure you have a helmet, impact shorts and wrist guards. If you’re going near a park then a spine protector is a good call as well.

Second month I switched to skis and apart from the abuse and snowballs regularly lobbed at me by my former snowboard instructors (good naturedly) it was great. I then alternated depending on the conditions for lessons and fun.

Overall I spent more time on skis than boards. I would say that’s my default unless it’s a powder day, then throw away the skis and get the board out. It ended up with me being in Level 5 for boarding and Level 6 for skiing in their structure, which I was happy with.

Ironically all my injuries came on skis but that’s because I used to take more risks on skis. I’ve since learnt to say no to let’s ski off this cliff and let’s go through the big terrain park Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Everyone, who loves speed, should be boardin'. Because sideways even 40mph feels FAST and 50-60 very fast. It's not a race, nobody cares about speed in mph or how many minutes and seconds it took you to go down the run, it's about how you felt and how much fun you had.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skiing has 2 planks and 2 sticks, is twice as hard, and for supreme athletes.

Snowboarding has 1 tray, can be mastered in a couple weeks, and for lazy folk.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hd wrote:
snoway. wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
kat.ryb wrote:

Along with parabolic edges, twin tips, rocker technology. Skiers should bow down and worship snowboarding with gratitude for everything it has done to improve their sport.

Err, twin tips were invented long before snowboarding! This 1931 film has a guy spinning round on twin tips, go to the short sequence starting at 31:00 Madeye-Smiley https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=QSYrvA59F5M
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I tried boarding last summer at Hemel as they had a really good deal on groupon (£28 for a 2 hour beginners group lesson) and the girlfriend tried it too, she had neither boarded or skied, so thought it would be good fun to try together.

I enjoyed it, and would like to try and progress more, but as I only usually get 1 holiday a year, I don't want to "waste" that time learning to board when I could be blasting about on ski's.

If/when I get a chance to ski more, i'm sure i'll try and get better on a board.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink wrote:
hd wrote:
snoway. wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
kat.ryb wrote:

Err, twin tips were invented long before snowboarding! This 1931 film has a guy spinning round on twin tips, go to the short sequence starting at 31:00 Madeye-Smiley https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=QSYrvA59F5M

then proceed with sidecut, rocker, etc.?
latest report
As a skier and boarder, it's snowboard tech that has made skiing what it is today.
snow conditions
Of course I can provide a different feedback on Sunday night as my partner who skis has decided to learn to snowboard and I’ve booked her at the MK fridge on Sunday for an all day beginners course (10-6) for £91
snow conditions
kosmoz wrote:
then proceed with sidecut, rocker, etc.?

Well skis always had a small degree of sidecut since the days of Sondre Norheim, but the evolution of skis with large amounts of sidecut has quite an interesting history, see
https://skiinghistory.org/history/evolution-ski-shape

I can't comment on the history of rocker, though possibly the rocker of waterskis had an influence as well as snowboards. Madeye-Smiley

P.S Not quite sure what the "etc." refers to - I've already discussed twin tips (skiing got there first on its own) , and sidecut and rocker in this post, so what's left? wink
snow report
parabolic/shaped skis introduced in 1995. Rocker profile since ~2010. From waterskis you say... interesting approach Very Happy
snow conditions
kosmoz wrote:
parabolic/shaped skis introduced in 1995. Rocker profile since ~2010. From waterskis you say... interesting approach Very Happy

Actually parabolic/shaped skis a bit earlier than 1995, as my link above states, following their experience with the short Big Foot skis which had a large sidecut Kneissl introduced their Ergo skis with 19mm of sidecut in 1992 (and I got a pair in 1993).

As regards waterskis, ever heard of Shane McConckey? Quote " He was also known for his contributions to ski design, notably being the father of reverse sidecut and reverse camber skis (aka: skis with rocker); first mounting bindings onto water skis for use in Alaska, then with the Volant Spatula and, more recently, the K2 Pontoon ski design" Also https://engineeringsport.co.uk/2014/03/11/rocker-ski-technology-how-to-conquer-the-powder/ Shane definitely had an interesting and novel approach using waterskis on snow, I'm glad you agree. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
it's so easy to invent something, when it already exists for past 15 years. For example, I can invent electric tandem bicycle, when electric bicycles exist, or someone can invent deep sidecut or rocker profile for skis, when it's out there long time ago in snowboards. it all depends on your view point.
snow conditions
@kosmoz, indeed. Very Happy

And of course rocker on water skis almost certainly predates snowboarding, but I'm not claiming that snowboarding stole or got inspiration for that idea from waterskiing. wink Edit: even though this snowsports site says "The term rocker is borrowed from watersports where rocker is common" Toofy Grin It's possible for the same technical feature on one piece of sports equipment to be introduced independently of its use in another type of sports equipment.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 4-07-19 22:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Two snow disciplines, sharing same pistes on same mountains. Suddenly one of them starts using same tech for same purposes, that the superior discipline already has for some time. Why you want to look so far, into water sports, when it's so close and obvious? It doesn't matter who and where got the idea of using these tech concepts on the snow/ice, whether it's some inspiration from water sport or just a great thought, they were first used in snowboarding and it's just stupid to say, that skis got those tech ideas from scratch or water sport.
snow report
Nah snowboards around the time that Shane was playing with rocker weren't really rockered.

Wiki tells me that banana tech by libtech was 2008 and they were the first company to go big on it.

Sidecut and big floaty noses definitely came from boarding though.
latest report
@kosmoz, I think this is a bit of a sterile argument. By your argument I could claim that as skis used twin tips first on snow then it's stupid to say that snowboarding got that idea independently from scratch. And as a matter of historical record Shane McConckey did try out his idea for a rockered ski using waterskis on powder snow, before designing the first production rockered ski (the Volant Spatula that went on the market in 2001) As he's sadly dead now we'll never hear from him as to whether he got his inspiration exclusively from waterskiing, exclusively from snowboarding or was influenced by both. What I'm trying to say is that it's a bit more nuanced than just saying deep sidecut and rocker on skis came about solely through the influence of snowboarding. It undoubtedly did have an influence on the use of these two ideas on skis, but wasn't the only influence. As my earlier link https://skiinghistory.org/history/evolution-ski-shape shows there were multiple influences concerning the move to deeper sidecut including changes to giant slalom racing in the late 1970s and early 1980s, Elan's 1977 experiments with its variable sidecut system and its later Sidecut Extreme SCX project, and (later) Kneissl's Big Foot novelty ski.

And as regards rocker, the first rockered ski the Volant Spatula went on the market in 2001 but according to Dave of the Marmottes post above the first rockered snowboard went on the market in 2008, so if he's correct then using your argument snowboarders owe their rockered snowboards to skiers... Wink

Anyway the most important thing is that we all enjoy our preferred modes of sliding on the snow, so let me wish you a great forthcoming winter season. snowHead

Edit: P.S I only got involved in this thread to point out it was an error (as another poster had claimed) that twin tips were a snowboarding invention, perhaps I should have kept schtum. Laughing
snow report
So the update after my partner did her first all day lesson at the MK fridge for snowboarding (she can ski)

Oh god, it’s just annoying, argh, I’m not going to let it beat me, my knees and fingers hurt, maybe we can do multi hire in Norway and I’ll spend the first two days on the board and then back to skis. I hate you. How are my knees so bruised. How can you board and ski?

Her legs have now seized up (calf muscles) and further comment would just be a litany of swear words.

So in summary, harder work than expected and the things you can do on skis don’t come naturally on a board. From watching her, I think she would be able to edge down a green with maybe a few turns. No way she’d keep us with me and the kids on skis though. Although I have the feeling I may get some heavy hints It would be good for me to board with her on hols (not going to end well as I’m a pretty competent boarder and that will just annoy her). She now regrets ignoring my advice about knee and wrist pads NehNeh

As an aside the MK hire boots were shocking. Wet, smelly, heavily worn. She went and bought herself a cheap pair of burtons as it was so bad and changed her socks as they were wet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy