Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'invulnerable' skiiers willing to risk everything for the thrill of the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
philwig, and how, precisely, do you "deal with" an incompetent/drunk/out-of-control (delete as appropriate) skier or boarder who smashes into you from behind, breaks most of your ribs in the process, and then disappears leaving you lying semi-conscious on the ground? That's what happened to my brother-in-law. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I do think there is a flip side to this argument also.... as with driving, people who ski far too slowly can be just as dangerous as those who ski fast. I dont think people who have barely progressed past a snow plow should be allowed on red or black pistes. I find it extremely annoying that when you find yourself crusing at a nice speed down a red run you get held up by a pair of old women who are quite clearly attempting to ski a piste above their ability.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
philwig wrote:
You can whine on about people being incompetent and drunk at resorts. Alternatively you can change your own behaviour so you aren't affected by those things.

There are numpties who ski too fast for their competence. Several snowHead s have been taken out from behind by them. What is your method of avoiding that risk? Simply to ski faster than the numpties do?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1gunsalute wrote:
philwig wrote:
You can whine on about people being incompetent and drunk at resorts. Alternatively you can change your own behaviour so you aren't affected by those things.

There are numpties who ski too fast for their competence. Several snowHead s have been taken out from behind by them. What is your method of avoiding that risk? Simply to ski faster than the numpties do?

Avoid being where other people are skiing. Simples Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philwig wrote:
Personally, I'm responsible for my own safety, so I deal with incompetence and drunkenness at resorts because they are there.

Complacent much?

I was skiing at a pretty average speed down a red that was entirely within my capabilities when an out of control pillock crashed into me at speed from behind. He did have the decency to stop until I skied away some minutes later, which fortunately I was able to do.

Now explain to me please how I might have avoided that. Hasn't happened to you? Well I've been skiing for 45 years, on and off, and up to that point it hadn't happened to me either.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Only 2 options. Either ski faster than anyone else on the piste or stay in the fun snow away from them Wink

Actually there is a third, be the last person down.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
While all this delightful debate is going on, it's enlightening to actually go back to the original report from Medecins de Montagne, here, http://www.mdem.org/telecharger-document.php?sid=&idfichier=480&codej=france&page=STATISTIQUE&idapplication=page

The graph on page one shows quite clearly that the occurrence of skiers' accidents requiring a doctor's intervention has remained broadly stable around 2.5/1000 skier days since the start of their series in 1999. Snowboarder stats are rather more volatile. I wouldn't like to speculate why.

Collisions at 12.5% and head injuries have increased slightly over the last 10 years.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just back from Val d'Isere - I only skied for 4 days but saw more injured people being ferried around than ever before. They mostly seemed to be children. The thing with statistics is that the conditions vary so much. We have less snow this year, so more people in the higher-up resorts - Val was rammed and the locals said they'd never seen it so full; there's a lot of ice around. I felt there were a lot of inexperienced skiers around hurling themselves down the slopes - the Plan was a nightmare. Best time to ski was early on New Year's Day!

I'm planning never to be there in that week ever again - I only went because I was invited.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Resorts, he says, have become more adept at “grooming” the snow, meaning there are fewer broken legs caused by tripping over obstacles. However, this improvement has had unintended consequences. “Now everything is very flat, not very good skiers are still able to ski very fast,” he explains. “They are not able to control their speed, and so we have more collisions.

The piece seems very France-centric - I would contend that the Swiss resorts with which I am familiar are far less brutal with the grooming, so there are far more bumps and rollers on the pistes. None of the wide flat motorways that are so common in France - and the natural terrain then tends to slow people down.

There are a lot of inconsiderate people around everywhere, but on the slopes, the ones I find the worst are the young racers. Just because they can ski like demigods, they forget that other people are less experienced or skilled.

I seem to have a strange attraction for other skiers and have been hit far more than I think is my fair share Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch, good point about Swiss slopes; same for N. America.

I'm surprised by the racers though - because their skill levels are excellent - I've seen young racers react in an instant to avoid dangerous situations.

Teenage holidaymakers who go fast - because it's dead easy - but have no/low skills worry me much more.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="eng_ch"]
Quote:

There are a lot of inconsiderate people around everywhere, but on the slopes, the ones I find the worst are the young racers. Just because they can ski like demigods, they forget that other people are less experienced or skilled.

Sad

Yes skiing seems to be unusual as a sport in that it seems to be an accepted practice to hone your high speed skills wherever you want to, in a public place, with only you, as the "most skilled", deciding what is the limit of acceptability.
All you can hope is that the worst perpetrators don't get on the instructor course Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I've seen young racers react in an instant to avoid dangerous situations

Yes, but to the person they are going past or a third party looking on they appear too close and do scare people. As a parent of a young racer, I have had to remind him of this on occasion.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skitow, beequin, +1 I agree, they don't always promote the confidence in their safe skiing that their skills would suggest they should have.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Personal experience of one, so not very scientific but: I believe the best groomed slopes I've ever skied on are in the Dolomites, and in the five years I've been going there I haven't seen an accident.
I think the next best are Austria, and whilst I have seen accidents there (specifically Sölden), they have been caused by young Dutch or German men who for some unknown reason believe they can ski safely whilst being completely w-nkered - and I mean falling over drunk.
Only ever been to Switzerland twice so can't really comment, but by far the most accidents I have witnessed have been in France, including both my daughter and ex-wife (not that concerned about the latter obviously wink )being wiped out by boy racers hitting them from behind. It was why I stopped going to France.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone ever seen a race club member in collision with a member of the general public? I really don't think these are the peeps to be scared of.
ski holidays
laundryman, who would know when they're in plain clothes so to speak wink But certainly not when they're in class - whenever and wherever I've seen them the piste has been sectioned off. However I agree with gist of your point, it's the hooray Henry, Henri, Heinrich and Enrico types that are typically what we should watch out for.
snow report
mozwold, I've seen groups free skiing and competitors warming up on runs adjacent to the track. I'm always impressed (envious, really) by their speed and control.

Bloody Henrys get everywhere! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
laundryman, skiing down a busy(ish) blue including several ski school crocodiles into Les Gets the other day I was in awe of the LG junior race team, I'm guessing 9 -12 year olds who descended through the melee like a red sea across the full width of the piste. They were carrying considerably more speed than anyone else, flicking left to right, jabbing in split second snow ploughs, bouncing across the bumps and ruts and at no time appeared to present any danger to themselves or others. Whoosh and they were gone!

This was after my 10 year old who for a Brit punter skier is progressing well for his age and experience but isn't quite as good as he perhaps thinks he is had watched them GS training earlier and was really quite gutted about the difference in standard!! Shocked
snow report
laundryman wrote:
Anyone ever seen a race club member in collision with a member of the general public? I really don't think these are the peeps to be scared of.

IIRC Touretteski was taken out (as in blood-wagoned off the mountain) by a young French racer while she (Touretteski) was stationary in a lift queue at the 2011 PSB.

The Swiss champs were being held in Laax at the beginning of December when we were there and the racers were totally inconsiderate and seemed to believe that the public pistes were still their race courses and using everyone else as moving slalom poles. I very nearly had a word with their trainers. The M25 is not an extension of Brands Hatch.

It's not all about whether you are good enough to avoid a collision but if your skiing is such that you scare someone else less experienced or skilled, you could cause them to act unpredictably - and then it's all the more difficult to avoid them.
latest report
laundryman, Very Happy

Annoying little tykes aren't they -I wish I could ski like them Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy