Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go- in 3 weeks?

Poster: A snowHead
It is that time of year again- booking our ski trip. This year, due to work uncertainties, booking has been left until last minute. We have annual leave to go away weekend of 1st or 2nd February for a week.

I've spent hours ploughing through brochures trying to decide where to go but can't, so I thought I'd ask your advice.

Last year we DIY'd it to Mayrhofen self-catering, but this year, with it being 3 weeks away we'd like to go on a package deal half-board.

We are both good intermediates. We thought Mayrhofen was excellent (albeit massive- we probably didn't get full use of the entire area), but we'd like to try somewhere different.

We were considering Italy, Austria or maybe Andorra this year. We'd also considered Slovenia (?!). We also tend to be a bit picky with hotels, wanting 4* or 5* hotels.

Does anyone have any recommendations of resorts and/or hotels?

Also noticing that the snow isn't brilliant in lots of places too.

edit: We aren't into massive apres ski, maybe a drink or two then early to bed. We are really early risers and like getting the first tracks. We are big foodies, and also spa/hot tub/heated outdoor pool lovers. We don't have children!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about Canada? Cant go wrong with Fairmont Whistler. If you can get a direct flight to Vancouver its not that big a deal, especially for 3 weeks. Hotel is great (very Canadian wink ) and access to the massive area is about 12 steps out the board/ski storage area. Snow will never be an issue there in Feb either.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi shootinstar9,

We have some spaces left in our catered chalet Genepi for those dates if that's any use? Details via the link below . . .
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shootinstar9, Northern Italy has some of the best snow in Europe right now, and easily ticks your "foody" box... Courmayeur or Champoluc ought to have 4 or 5 star hotels with spas and both have some truly excellent dining on and off the hill.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Selva in the Dolomites. They have great snow at the moment.We stayed in the 4* Hotel Elizabeth.Very nice and great food and spa.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

What about Canada?

Is Canada noted for its good skiing food?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How about Grindelwald? Plenty of nice hotels there, decent skiing and not a huge area. If you're thinking 5* then the Regina is not bad, especially if you like the spas and whatnot (several saunas, steam room, salt bath and swimming pool) and the restaurant is top notch.

http://www.grandregina.ch/en/home-en-content/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm with DennisP.

Big foodies / spa / hot tub / heated outdoor pools / 4&5* hotels - Whistler does it all. Food wise Pamw, the choice is enormous right upto michelin stars in the resort but agree the mountain options not great.

Also consider the Sundial as you can get a room with a private hot tub overlooking skiers plaza in the village centre. Steps to the two gondolas serving both mountains, amazing.

PM me if you want specific details.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, The food in the slope side resturants is not brilliant but it is not awful either.
However snowmonkey69 is right about the hotels in Whistler. Hot tubs, swimming pools, spas all present and correct, there are some great places to eat as well.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dennisp, SnowMonkey69, joneski, as I understand the OP is only going for ONE week, but in three week's time. Really you need at least ten days to make it worth going all the way to Canada.

Courmayeur is lovely, but quite small in terms of kms of piste. We skied pretty much every run in a day.

What about Arabba?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That week everywhere should be comparatively good for snow, take your pick! Don't go to slovenia for a week, it's nowhere near enough terrain to keep intermediates entertained (been, it's a lovely winter weekend, but not a week skking). Andorra does, we had a great week in pas de le casa years ago (although don't stay there, stay in soldeu, pas is a binge drinking eyesore) Mayrhofen isn't supersized huge either so if that worked for you, you should be fine at any major name resort in Italy or Austria.

I tend to prefer chalets and france and cheap ;o) so not got any relevant recommendations I'm afraid.

Happy Hunting...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are some great deals with Inghams to Wengen at the moment. 4* for sub £600 each. If you look on the jungfrau website you can get lift passes for the whole are for £198 instead of the £268? Inghams charge!
This opens up 3 ski areas for you. The snow is good as it's high (Murren) and the runs are long with train or chair ride back up.
We started in Austria but the lack of height & the freeze / thaw situation made for scarey skiing Sad with Switzerland you get the same /ish style of accomodation, food and hospitality with the bonus of powder snow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HoneyBunny, OK but my first trip to whistler was crystal chalet for one week. However since then been at least 1 weeks a year out of a 3 week Canada trip Embarassed Kinda hooked on over the pond only done 3 trips to Europe in 15 yrs. 2 of those trips took longer to get to French resorts than to get to BC. rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
joneski what sort of prices are you getting though? Everytime I look at canada/us the prices (inc equipment/pass) are INSANE...twice what I'm paying in europe....

I think it usually takes 2 hours on the plane plus 4 hours faffing/transfer in france - can't see how canada could be quicker, it's a 5 hour min flight....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the advice guys.

We are waiting to go to Canada- have a three week tour of Canadian ski resorts (and maybe US if we can fit them in) planned for our honeymoon in 2016. Maybe going to Switzerland for a mate's 30th at the end of the season so want to save Switzerland until then. Although we love Austria, the snow reports were a tad concerning for the resorts that we fancied.

I looked at Italy but not much was coming up that we fancied flying from Manchester on our dates- I guess with the excellent snow, its proving popular.

In the end we have found a trip to Andorra. We are going to Soldeu/El Tarter, staying in El Tarter. We also plan a day trip to Caldea, the spa place. It is ski-to-door in a quiet resort. It doesn't tick all the boxes re: foodies but the hotel we are staying at has good reviews on Trip Advisor re: the food.

Fingers crossed I've not picked a dud!
snow report
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
Hi shootinstar9,

We have some spaces left in our catered chalet Genepi for those dates if that's any use? Details via the link below . . .

Wow have had a quick look at you site, looks amazing & the price is fantastic, as for the ski area well Laughing would highly recommend La Plagne, no need to go to Canada....... Very Happy

Once the kids have left home this is the type of place I will take my wife......heaven wink
snow conditions
michaelbury17 How long have you been a chalet boy at Chalet Genepi Toofy Grin ?
snow report
If you hire a car kitzbuhel would be good. They have loads of really upmarket hotels, the town centre is really nice and if the snow is a bit rubbish in Kitzbuhel u can drive to neighbouring areas or even the kitzsteinhorn glacier which can be included in a lift pass for 30 euro more.
latest report
Quote:

We started in Austria but the lack of height & the freeze / thaw situation made for scarey skiing ...with Switzerland you get the same /ish style of accomodation, food and hospitality with the bonus of powder snow

what a very dubious couple of generalisations - scary freeze/thaw conditions in Austria but powder snow in Switzerland. rolling eyes
snow report
Austria has better customer service and is nearly half the price.
ski holidays
Agree with above poster about better customer service in Austria and also with being cheaper but not necessarily half the price!
I've skied in a lot of resorts in Austria but none compare to any in Switzerland! AND, the queues! Yes, it might be half the price (allegedly) but we spent most of the holiday in a queue for chair/drag/cable car! Not so in Switzerland!
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and having skied both countries extensively, this is mine!
snow report
Dolomites - Best snow and a fabulous place..
ski holidays
shootinstar9, I've only been to Andorra on business but the food we had was excellent...
latest report
I think I was a bit unlucky with Switzerland; I went to Laax, which is a horrendous excuse for a ski resort. Have heard good things about Zermatt and Verbier.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy