Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains - retailers somewhere between Geneva and Flaine

Poster: A snowHead
I am hiring a car at GVA airport and want to buy some snow chains for the hire car - the hire company want to charge X amount of euros per day so it will be cheaper to buy our own set. Until we pick it up we won't know what size wheels/tyres the car has so I will need to buy the chains once we have the car and are on our way to Flaine. I've found online, a Norauto shop in Bonneville but are there any locals in the area on here that can recommend a shop that will have a large stock selection. Anywhere in Cluses for example? I take it Norauto is the French equivalent of Halfords?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shgc36, when are you travelling? If it's a busy Saturday you might not want the extra hassle and if it's a Sunday the shops will be closed. What's the difference in price? It might not be worth the aggro.

I think there's a "Feu Vert" in Annemasse - they would normally have a good stock. What will you do with the chains when you fly home? They're pretty heavy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shgc36, how do you know they'll be cheaper to buy if you don't know what car you're getting? Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have also looked into this and am thinking of doing the same - the car hire company charge way too much for chains it's criminal.
Looking at the weather forecast I might risk it and go without Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pretty much every gas station has them in this time. They are most likely a bit more expensive then in normal store, but they are also on your way without trying to find some shopping center with right store Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shgc36, If you are hiring at the Swiss side you will likely get charged a winterisation fee in anycase and I think that includes chains - certainly we have always had them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are hiring from the swiss side then the car should come with winter tyres, in which case snow chains are almost certainly unnecessary - I drove in and out of Flaine multiple times over Christmas on some very snowy/icy roads with winter tyres and never needed chains.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's a Carrefour near the autoroute at Jct 17 which I would have thought would stock all the likely sizes.

RobW, May well be possible but even so legally they do need to carry them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Carrefour in the center of Cluses will have lots of choice.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How much are they to buy?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Slightly further but easier to get to would be the Feu Vert in Sallanches
It's just one junction on from the Flaine turn off next to the motorway - you can take the local road back through Magland if you don't want to pay the toll
You can also stock up with provisions in the Carrefour opposite
There's also a Roady store (like Halfords) on the other side of town - take the second junction off the motorway instead
Usually getting into Flaine is fine without chains but I've struggled sometimes with ice late at night even with snow tyres
The worst area is getting up to the Col de Pierre Carree and down the other side into Flaine
Last year we also struggled to get out with a 4x4, snow tyres & chains so you can never tell what the weather will be
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the many responses. I've booked the car on the French side - booked through Auto Europe but collection point is the Europcar desk. Would rather have chains than just winter tyres. Would feel more confident - not just for getting there but more so after leaving the car for a week in an open public car park which, if it snows over the course of the week, could be 'fun' getting out.

pam_w - we're travelling on Sat 1st Feb. We can't check in at Le Centaure until 5pm so plenty of time to kill as we get to Geneva mid-morning so don't mind having a drive about to find some chains on the way to Flaine. If I buy some I will just have to bin them after I've finished with them. Is Annemasse a bit out of the way for the Feu Vert? Not heard of them though so thanks for the tip and will have a look.

under_a_new_name - good point, but I've booked the bog standard 4-door hatchback so have a rough idea of the size needed and the price of those chains. I did work out the cost per day that the hire company charge for the loan of the chains and it would be cheaper to just buy them from a shop. I have a set here at home, from when we drove to Flaine from UK last year, but I don't want to take them in our luggage (weight) on the off chance they fit, in case they don't.

RobW - I'm sure that snow chains, rather than winter tyres alone, are a legal requirement in France if you're driving in and around areas prone to snow? Although, the locals in Flaine don't seem to be bother with them. It only seemed to be the visiting tourists that bothered on their cars.

janner and DallyPaul - thanks for the info

Has anyone used Norauto? There appears to be one in Bonneville which is on the way to Flaine. Something in Cluses would be easier though. If Carrefour in Cluses and in Sallanches (and Feu Vert) sell them then I'm sure that we'll be ok, sounds like a decent amount of choice.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There appears to be a Feu Vert in Cluses.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I booked with Avis in December and they had the 'winterisation fee' as included, but then (tried to) charge for chains.

Fortunately, their website is a bit ambiguous (and still appears to be) and after you've picked your dates and a car, the screen where you can add extras, it states:

"• Rentals in winter:
Avis cars in Switzerland will be equipped with winter tyres, snow chains and ice scrapers during the winter months. An amount per day will be charged together with the VLF. The amount is already included in the total charge if booked online."

Even though there's also an option to pay CHF25 for them as an optional extra.

So I printed this page out and after a very limited amount of resistance they threw them in for free. I didn't end up needing them, but like shgc36 thought you could be required to carry them in France in certain areas?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can't say they cost very much as an add on "winterisation fee" when I have hired from the Swiss side. The last time I did it it was no more than about £20. Shop around the hire companies.
latest report
Quote:

Would rather have chains than just winter tyres.

are you sure you'll have winter tyres? It's not normally the case on the French side (one of the key reasons for hiring on the Swiss side). Without winter tyres chains are absolutely essential and you are likely to have to use them if there's any snow on the road (and although main roads are ploughed promptly, side roads not so much - and they can have ice and snow left on them days and days after the last snowfall.

If it's snowy in Geneva and down in the Arve Valley (unlikely but perfectly possible) you'd be well advised to get them before you leave the car park rather than risk slithering round Cluses or Annemasse.
ski holidays
Does anybody know how much they cost to buy!?
latest report
I will be buying a set for the new car on Saturday so if you can wait a few days I'll let you know how much they cist at the Carrefour at Jct 17!

If you can't wait, last time I looked you could get cheapies for a small tyre from about €40 but the last set I bought were up at the €175 mark.
snow conditions
Don't forget IF your tyre/wheel size is slightly out of the ordinary chains in your size may not be available from supermarkets and you'll end up driving miles out of your way and finally pay about twice UK prices. (this from experience, my BiL's!!)
snow report
ask for winter tyres. If you get winter tyres you wont need chains to get to flaine.

If it snows everyone between geneva and flaine everyone will sell out within minutes and your'll be spending the night in the car.
snow report
shgc36 wrote:

RobW - I'm sure that snow chains, rather than winter tyres alone, are a legal requirement in France if you're driving in and around areas prone to snow? Although, the locals in Flaine don't seem to be bother with them. It only seemed to be the visiting tourists that bothered on their cars.

Most of the "chains required" signs I've seen in recent weeks around Flaine, Chamonix, Megeve, Les Arcs also had a small plate underneath saying "Pneu Neige Admis", by which I understand indicates that you do not need chains if you have winter tyres. (Not sure if the gendarmes enforcing the sings actually understand the difference between winter tyres and snow tyres.) I have winter tyres, and also carry chains, but have never actually had to use the chains - and conditions in recent weeks have some days been quite challenging...
latest report
marcellus wrote:
I will be buying a set for the new car on Saturday so if you can wait a few days I'll let you know how much they cist at the Carrefour at Jct 17!

If you can't wait, last time I looked you could get cheapies for a small tyre from about €40 but the last set I bought were up at the €175 mark.

Oof! My winterisation fee on my hire car is £55. Can't imagine why you would bother with the stress of buying them!
latest report
shgc36 wrote:
Has anyone used Norauto?

Yeah, it's Frenchie Halfords basically. That's where I got my snow chains and roof bars and all sorts of car accessories from, and bought my winter tyres and had them fitted there...
snow conditions
eddiethebus wrote:
ask for winter tyres. If you get winter tyres you wont need chains to get to flaine

The one time I've driven up to Flaine to ski was very touch and go. Got away with just the winter tyres on, but was sideways round every corner!
ski holidays
Quote:

Got away with just the winter tyres on, but was sideways round every corner!

I've been there too. There's a tendency for people to say "you won't need chains to get to X" because they've been to X a few times and didn't need chains.

Chains are a requirement, even if you have winter tyres and yes, if it's snowy, especially on a Saturday, the gendarmes DO require you to put them on.

I have four new winter tyres (very good ones, top recommended, snowflake symbol etc) and on several occasions this season already I have reached my destination by the skin of the teeth - creeping uphill with minimal traction, knowing that if I had to stop (e.g. where somebody is stuck in the middle of the road, or across it) I'd not get going again. I should have stopped and put the chains on, really, but got away with it.

It is irresponsible to tell people they "won't need chains".

I wonder if the OP was so shocked at the apparent daily cost of chains because it was actually a quote for winterisation, including winter tyres AND chains?
latest report
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
eddiethebus wrote:
ask for winter tyres. If you get winter tyres you wont need chains to get to flaine

The one time I've driven up to Flaine to ski was very touch and go. Got away with just the winter tyres on, but was sideways round every corner!

ok.

i'm only speaking from person experience where i've not needed to put chains on once with snowtyres, thats over 7 full seasons so isnt based on singular weeks.

I also do a lot of driving (every day)
snow report
eddiethebus, visitors to my apartment, which is not particularly high or hairy, have twice been required to put chains on winter tyres before being allowed to drive up. It's rare, but it happens.
snow report
Quote:

Without winter tyres chains are absolutely essential and you are likely to have to use them if there's any snow on the road

pam w,

and the problem with that is that there isn't enough snow on the road for the chains to work "properly" nor to work without damaging the road...

There's a zone where summer tyres are useless and chains are inappropriate... like last weekend at 1,000m, and the week before in Champoluc and the weekend before in Chamonix.

I know what you mean about slippy snow though, winter tyres and 4 wheel drive and I was crawling down the hill in Champoluc. And sliding somewhat when pulling away uphill. Very odd stuff it was.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
shgc36 wrote:
Has anyone used Norauto?

Yeah, it's Frenchie Halfords basically. That's where I got my snow chains and roof bars and all sorts of car accessories from, and bought my winter tyres and had them fitted there...

thanks!

pam_w I can't remember now what the daily charge was for, ie chains and winter tyres, because I booked the hire car back in July. But, at the time, having looked at the price of chains on the Norauto website (30/40 euros for cheapest set) it was way cheaper than what the hire company wanted to charge as a per-day total for them so made more sense to just buy a set.

Hopefully we won't need them. When we drove to Flaine last year, we drove from Bolton. Nearly 900 miles to Flaine. Didn't need the chains all the way to Flaine. Got to Terrasses d'Eos and had to drive up the snowy ramp to their car park. Got about 10 metres from the top of the ramp and the car just wouldn't go any further without the wheels slipping. Had to get out of the car and put the chains on for the final 10 metres of a 900 mile trip rolling eyes
snow conditions
Jenniper wrote:
Does anybody know how much they cost to buy!?

depends on size needed but anything upwards of 30 euros.
latest report
shgc36, I'm now confused as to whether your car has winter tyres or not. Unless you've paid an additional charge (in which case chains should be included) then it probably doesn't - it's not standard on the French side of Geneva airport.

It's not just the size which determines the cost of chains - there are cheap and nasty ones and there are a range of more expensive ones. Generally the more you pay, the simpler they are to fit and the less likely they are to snap, drop off or get wrapped round some vital bit of your car.
snow report
If I was regularly driving in snow then I'd buy the best quality chains you can buy and be happy to pay the price for those. For what might be only a few miles of driving and the fact that they'll be got rid of after the hire car has gone back, 30 euro ones will do.
latest report
I've no idea if the hire car will have winter tyres or not. Would they just be fitted as standard in winter? I didn't pay any additional 'winterisation' fee of any sort so unless fitted as standard I assume summer tyres will be on it. Guess I will find out when we get there.
snow report
eddiethebus wrote:

i'm only speaking from person experience where i've not needed to put chains on once with snowtyres, thats over 7 full seasons so isnt based on singular weeks.

I also do a lot of driving (every day)

Same experience here. The worst conditions I've ever come across was nothing to do with grip and everything to do with the (lack of) visibility: hoping you are still on the road by interpolating between the snowpoles is NOT fun. (Not that the OP is likely to get such conditions going up a "popular" road such as the one to Flaine.)
snow report
Most garages along the road sell them! about €60 euro for a standard car, halfords were charging me twice that at home
snow conditions
I got a pair of snow chains in a Geant somewhere in France (probably Albertville). Very cheap (about 30 Euros 10 years ago), cheaper than the shop which sells car things which was next door. They had a large range of chains to fit most vehicles. I suspect that if you stop at the first hypermarket in France near the mountains, you will be spoiled for choice. There is a Geant Casino in Annemasse, not sure of its size though or whether they stock snow chains.

I have never used snow socks, so I cannot say if they are worth having. They seem to be sold for when you cannot fit snow chains. About the same price as snow chains.

You will find that any garage where you stop for fuel, will also stock snow chains, particularly as you get closer to the mountain you are climbing. Might be slightly more expensive than the supermarket though. They will also have less of a range of chains.
latest report
shgc36,

A quick check and from the Swiss side (as one would imagine) Hertz and Avis both include winter tyres and snow chains as part of the rental price (although Avis kindly give you the option to rent them twice for a mere CHF 25/rental, no idea if their system is clever enough to ignore that).

You sure they're not included?
ski holidays
I've just gone on the Auto Europe website and gone through a booking again. It clearly makes a difference if you choose your pick up country as France or as Switzerland. Choose French Geneva, winterisation includes winter tyres if the fleet in stock has them. Choose Swiss Geneva and the winterisation includes, as standard between 01/12 and 15/03, winter tyres and chains available for CHF25 for the period of the rental. So I should probably have booked Swiss Geneva as the pick up point but too late now. I booked this in July and was charged £141 for a week for a Megane or similar. That price is now £230 for something similar!
snow conditions
shgc36, ah, yes, the French don't believe in snow chains or winter tyres. It's more fun for you and everyone else without them. I mean, who wouldn't want to spend the first evening of their holiday dicing with death and then freezing their fingers off while there's a queue of 50 cars trying to get past, eh?

rolling eyes
ski holidays
I've found where it mentions the snow chains price-per-day cost. It's on the Auto Europe booking confirmation voucher in the Ts&Cs. It says " Snow Chains: Approximately EUR 17.50, per day, VAT included, paid locally , available on request between Nov 01 and Apr 30."

So over an 8 day hire period that's 140 euros! This is why I decided it would be cheaper to buy my own set. But, if the Swiss Geneva car hire office charge CHF20 (£13) for 8 days hire for chains then surely the French one would charge similar - if they have them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy