Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waxing Skis .... When to stop?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I think we are all crystal that base edges should be left at or set to 1 and side set to 1-3 degrees for any sort of rec skiing. Not that I believe anyone questioned this or suggested otherwise. However, the question sort of remains as to how long you should iron on the wax for a diy rec skier using a standardish wax. My ski's come up looking "glossy" and smooth and have a lovely glide on the slopes but could I possibly be damaging the internals of the ski with waxing too hot? Is the iron until the tip and tale sections have a warm topsheet guide likely to shorten the life of your skis? How would such damage manifest itself?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 27-01-14 15:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layne, I only have my iron set to 100C - 110C and just ironing enough to fully melt the wax in will make the top sheet slightly warm. I've been doing that for 6 years and the skis are fine, but with a foam core I can imagine that going too hot may decrease the stiffness over time. I've always put my wax on and done quick passes 4 or five times per ski over 20 minutes just to get the wax well into the base. A bit of Zardoz on first helps too. I am looking more for longevity of my base and wax as opposed to making the skis fractionally quicker. In the past I have skied for 4 weeks topping up the Zardoz each day and suffered no greying or fluffing of my bases.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 8-01-14 17:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, I did set my fatter skis to a 0.7 base angle as they already took a little time to get on edge, can't say I felt much difference but I've stuck with it. I totally agree on warning people not to go too far with edge angles, unless you are racing why would you need to go beyond 2 or 3?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avalanche Poodle, you probably wouldn't on fat skis but SL skis on .2 compared to 1 are a whole different animal.. I know of at least of couple of injuries recently with overtuned ski being the culprit.

While I have a bit of sympathy for Primoz's argument that the ptex is thin and doesnt take long to warm up but for me the key thing is to ensure the ski is as warm as possible before waxing , no point putting wax onto a cold base that has been outside. if you cant warm up the ski indoors then preheat with the iron and a good measure is when you can feel the top sheet is warm as you put in the wax. I would say to let iron in the wax until the topsheet is warm at a minimum then leave to cool at least a couple hours, overnight if possible.

Why do racers use hotboxing? The longer warm wax stays on the base the better the penetration
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, Yup, for my type of skiing I'd even keep my SL's at 0.7 or 1. Racers don't tend to run those things flat as you would do at times when recreational skiing. I haven't caught an edge on the flat in years, and don't want to start now lol
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, Ive waxed n scraped n brushed n waxed n scraped n brushed...... numerous times.
Ive sharpened my edges, set at 2deg.
Am getting a cheap workmate bench tomorrow at Aldi (been using dining table) & will give edges a final check n polish with abrasive rubber.
That's the extent of my tuning at the mo. I'll get to test em on Sat in Tignes.
I'll let ya know how they perform compared to last month in 3V's, when I could've done with a bit more purchase/bite.
I'm taking my sharpener with me to keep an edge on em & y liquid wax, as we are there for 8 days & expect variable conditions in resort.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
franzClammer, I've just been given some portable stands, alloy blocks with bases and a layer of blue tack on the top. Stick the skis to them and they are easy to sharpen every couple of days when away.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
franzClammer, Bring them to Hemel next time you are there; as long as not Saturday or Wednesday I should be there; I'll take a look and see if there is anything obviously wrong with them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scooby_simon, Cheers mate, will do
Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy