Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cormayeur or Tignes for backcountry?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Will be heading off to Meribel Village on the 18th with the usual crowd, so should be well primed after a few weeks back in the office for a second trip, hence I'm considering joining up with Snoworks for one of their backcountry weeks. They have Cormayeur on Mar 2 or Tignes on Mar 9. I've skied Tignes a number of times and I understand it's very good for off-piste access, but one wouldn't exactly call it a charming resort. I know nothing about Cormayeur, but do rather fancy somewhere new.

Anyone done either / both?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
doing the courmayour trip on the 9th , the videos from last year on the snoworks looked fab , and i hear the village is very good , but my experience of these courses are that you are pretty knackered from the days skiing so not really to worried about village ambiance etc

have done a few off piste trips to tignes and the possibilities are endless when conditions are good , and although the village is certianly not pretty , there are plenty of good bars etc, and the snoworks accommodation is preety good
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ichabod, I've gone off with guides both at Tignes and Courmayeur.
The good stuff at Tignes requires a fair amount of skinning.
Courmayeur gives access to superb off-piste from the top of the lift system: the run back from Helbronner or the run by Col D'Arp are both wonderful.
(indeed I preferred the run back from Helbronner to going over into the Vallee Blanche).
Plus the town of Courmayeur is so much better than Tignes.
Go to Courmayeur.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys. Jonpim, you've sold me, though I suspect that deep down Courmayeur was always going to be the choice (on the 9th not the 2nd - doh!). I've experienced Snoworks at Tignes and Dabber, you're right that the Aguile Percee chalethotel is good and, yeah, sadly, apres ski for those of us past a certain age isn't the draw it once was.

I guess I'd better put my money where my mouth is - provided the dreaded single supplement isn't too steep!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I second Jonpim's recommendation — Courmayeur has some excellent off piste. Added to which there's the fantastic food and coffee Very Happy
I've only ever done day trips from Cham, so don't know what accommodation or the village is like but you'll be too knackered to care.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also if your feeling flush a very good heliskiing operation in Courmayeur
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Heliskiing eh? Now there's a thought...

Never done it before, but, frankly, I'm well over the half-way mark now, so why not? What's work for anyway?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm doing the Snoworks Backcountry to Courmayeur on 9th Mar as well and agreed, the videos looked great. Looks like they've had a good early season snowfall in that area as well this year so can't wait!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ichabod wrote:
Heliskiing eh? Now there's a thought...

Subject to weather/snow etc a couple of Heli drops or pickups are normally offered as part of the Tignes Backcountry courses Very Happy Lac de Chevrill is a quick pickup whilst Bonneval is part of a day long trip which can only be undertaken if the visibility is good.

Last year the Courmayeur trip included the Valley Blanche. I think all but 4 clients did this. Courmayeur may also include skiing in La Thuile/La Rossiere.

Both very good trips offering lots of variations Very Happy

p.s. Tignes is a beautifull place & home to many of us wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stewart woodward wrote:

p.s. Tignes is a beautifull place wink

Steady now... Lets not get carried away!

To the OP - whatever you do don't go to Courmayeur... The food is terrible, the coffee unspeakably poor (and expensive), and there is no off-piste whatsoever... wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sure, I WON'T go to Courmayeur, 'cos it sounds dreadful. A bit like NOT going to Cervinia for a day from Zermatt to NOT experience the cuter waitresses, lower prices and less hidebound atmosphere...

Perhaps see some of you there in March. In the meantime, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy