Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski amade

Poster: A snowHead
No, Rob, it's relevant. We just booked and going in Jan
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NE1, Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've just been looking at buses, is it really 1hr 52 mins in the bus from Schladming to Flachau?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
that seems awfully long@NE1, Puzzled It´s only a half hour drive, I guess if the bus stops a lot and people dawdle about getting gear on and off it could take that long.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Train to radstadt then bus?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have been to the Gastein valley area quite a few times now and always stay in Badbrucke. So I know the area pretty well now! I've been thinking about going further afield to Wagrain/Flachau for a few days next time i'm there but it is about an hours drive each morning. Worth it or stick in the Gastein valley?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is a €30 taxi or probably best to to train and bus.... Or get up really early and ski to Reiteralm valley - then ski bus to Radstadt - then ski over to Altenmarkt - bus up to Zauchensee - ski to Flachau Winkl - bus down to Flachau - ..... enjoy Aprés.... !!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Think we may just stick to Schladming......
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NE1, it´s not just Schladming! You also have Haus, Hochwurzen and Reiteralm, it´s a big area! You will love it, be sure to visit Onkle Willis hut (best chicken wings ever!) Shout out if you fancy a meet up, I am sure I can persuade a few of the locals to bob down for a few turns Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kooky, have you a link to a decent piste map I've searched and can't find anything other than a massive one for whole area?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.bergfex.at/schladming-planai/panorama/#

Zoom in !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Loved reading this thread and I'm determined one of our 2 weeks in 2016 will not be in France. Def fancy Schladming now, showed the hubby some pictures and the piste map and he now thinks he has decided that's where we will go Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Actually, in the Feb half term I'll be staying in a chalet by the side of the piste just past the Planai West / Rohrmoos meet up. Will be around the area all winter though so any sHs venturing out who fancy a meet up just drop me a line.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, Kooky.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@NE1, look at the Bergfex pages for Reiteralm and Hauser kaibling, they have their own individual piste maps. Available in dead tree format on the mountain, as does Planai-Hochwurzen AKA Schladming. PS do keep it all under your hat, don't want all and sundry going to my second favourite ski area in Austria Very Happy
snow report
@NE1, I forgot to say also if you fancy a change of scenery, you could also ski over to Reiteralm from Schladming and get the bus up the hill to Forstau(Fageralm) IMHO it is one of the nicest, quietest hills around here. The bus takes about 10 mins from Reiteralm(Gleiming Talstation)
There are no fancy gondolas, its a lot of T bars and old 2 man chair (The so called "Chair of Death" as it has no lid and you freeze your knackers off if its blowing a gale in January) and only enough runs for a day, but there are some really great tiny huts there, Trinklalm do THE best Käsekspätzel and Ribs) Jagahutte for the Farmers breakfast, or Lechneralm for the fresh cakes, glühwein and Zirbenschnapps, I have spent many a happy ski touring night in there)very family friendly and amazing value.
There is a lovely long run down to the valley, it´s almost always quiet there, it´s a real pearl, but ssssshhhh, don't tell everyone wink

http://www.ski-reiteralm.at/de/winter/service/skibusinfo
ski holidays
@Kooky, shut the fook up pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease FFS! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I want that place to myself this year as the last thing I need is people bumping into me and possibly knocking me over (again). Plans A, B, and C are to ski Forstau/Fageralm as much as possible, trying each of the huts in turn and then some! snowHead snowHead wink Got to be kind to my fooked up shoulder dontcha know m'dear! Little Angel
snow conditions
@Kooky, ohhh, I would love to go there...
latest report
Kooky that sounds fab. Can you bus back to Schladming from bottom of Reiteralm?
snow report
@NE1, Yes last bus 4ish.
latest report
@Samerberg Sue, you still need to do a moonlight skitour up there with Ange and me, after the first few huts you won't feel any pain, I promise wink
Pedantica...well, you know what to do! I am just sat here waiting!
snow report
@Kooky, I wish. (Over-reached myself a bit this year, I think, will try and plan better next year.) x
ski holidays
So the Trinkalm does the best kasespatzle in the world does it? Might just have to check it out. I'm in the area with 10 other Kasespatzle experts over Christmas and we already know where our best ever is so it will be good to compare,
ski holidays
@robapplegate, The ribs are a little delish. And massive... really massive.
snow conditions
@robapplegate, I consider myself a Kasespäzle connoisseur, and the absolute BEST I have ever had........and I have had a lot wink ....definitely Lisa Alm in Flachau, but it is very pricey and the portion is relatively small ( not a bad thing as it dosnt feel like you are skiing with a small cannonball in your stomach after lunch) also there is no salad with it.
Kasespätzle has to have some greenery to counteract the richness of the cheese. The kasespäzle Hannes cooks up at Trinkeralm is so large I have to order a kids portion and I still can't eat it all, comes with a huge fresh salad that is a meal on its own and costs under 7 euros. The price for the normal portion is 8.50.

Samereberg Sue also took me to a place in St Jo which came a very close second, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.....Sue, help?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 12-12-14 8:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@robapplegate, try the ones in the Strassalm at the bottom of the St Johann/Alpendorf second "bowl" served in a big frying pan according to however many you are - one pan and a lot of forks! wink The owners make their own cheese down at their organic farm in the valley between Wagrain and St Johann, and the rest of their produce is sourced from the local organic cooperative (meat, veg, fruit etc!)

@Kooky, not this season I'm afraid, I dare not fall on the shoulder as it will give the surgeon an excuse to stop trying to improve my upper arm and shoulder mobility. Sad
ski holidays
@Samerberg Sue, thanks! Is it wrong I fancy Kasespätzle for breakfast now rolling eyes
latest report
@Kooky, not at all - I'll join you, baggsy the crispy cheese on the bottom of the pan! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kooky, But the salad is part of the whole experience.
@Samerberg Sue, Is it a quick drive to St Johan from Schladming, worth doing for an evening meal?
Best I know is at The Halflingerhof in Oberjoch http://www.haflingerhof.de/ . Huge bowl plonked on the table, size depending on number in the party, good plate of "fart" salad as our kids called it many years ago due to it's effects on my partners internal organs. They too make their own organic cheese on site, and a good selection of meat products too. Stopped in one of their flats one year so didn't even have far to get home afterwards Very Happy
snow report
Mmm Kasespäzle... we have to go to Strassalm!!
snow conditions
@robapplegate, it is not open in the evenings unfortunately as it is up on the slopes
latest report
@Samerberg Sue, and also, quite a distance by road to St Jo I would have thought
snow report
@holidayloverxx, Yep it is easier to access from the Wagrain lifts though, only one lift after the Graffenberg bubble (Sonntagskogl 2) then drop down the black if it is open or swing round on the Blue/Red directly to the door.
snow conditions
@Samerberg Sue, we must have been before?
snow conditions
Only for a quick coffee - it was where we turned back the first time Heather and Matthew skied with us - the infamous picture of us all studying online guides or Apps was taken there! Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
@Samerberg Sue, Is the Trinkalm a lunch on the mountain place too? If so just might have to go there for christmas lunch Very Happy
snow conditions
@Samerberg Sue, Laughing
@robapplegate, yes it is..fab place
ski holidays
@robapplegate, Trinkeralm is the second highest of the huts up there and they do good traditional Austrian mountain food at excellent prices. I also like the Lechner and Unterbergalm because they are so small and friendly. Many people overlook the Heidegg Alm right by the top of the first chair does fabulous hot chocolate and home-made cakes at the end of the day a perfect stop before skiing down the last section to the car park.
ski holidays
@robapplegate, by the way do not expect to find anywhere selling a "Christmas Dinner" as such, they do not do one! Christmas Day is simply called Erste Weihnachtstag and is a national holiday, Christmas Eve is the biggie so if you are not in a hotel and want to eat out you need to book in advance to be sure of finding something you like. Many hotels only cater for their guests as well, not for outsiders/walk-ins. I doubt you will have a problem in Schladming as such, but it is better to make sure. If you are in a hotel, expect people to dress up a bit as well for Heilige Abend - not the whole hog black tie stuff, but certainly a wee bit smarter than the other nights where maybe they come directly in from Apres ski bars. wink
ski holidays
@robapplegate, In Flachau last year I had to book and pay in advance for our Christmas Eve dinner. many restaurants only had a special menu which I didn't want, luckily my first choice had the regular menu
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy