Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One day near Calgary

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ishay, I had a patagonia with a down lining when I was there (-29 at LL bizarrely), a long sleeve thermal plus a t-shirt thermal was all i needed under it. If you're in a shell, why not just pick up a down jacket for about £80 and use it as a layer. Then you can wear it as a casual piece when you get home?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
its not looking that cold at Sunshine this weekend. The key to coping with cold is layers; I don't have a thick expensive jacket, tucking in!, liner gloves, mitts, balaclava and face mask. helmet helps too.

It usually warms up as well, both sat and sunday were cold in the morning, but rose to around -10 ish each day.

Sunshine village is predicted high of -9C, low of -22C on Saturday. Realistically it will be cool until around noon I reckon.

Pick up some little hottie hand and feet warmers. They will make a lot of difference. Pick them up in Banff as they are expensive on the hill
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, it was cold, -23c. But yes layers served everything well except my toes. Still can't feel the end of my right big toe.

Snow was pretty old and icy. Can see that it would be good with good snow, but I still can't get my head around NA skiing, i.e. 6 slightly different routes down the same fall line being 6 different runs. It really does mask a pretty small area. What was most noticeable was the lack of long runs. I'm not an amazing skier but I am very fit, so on my own I don't rest. On short runs that means a short time between lifts.

Also can't get my head around the variety of difficulties covered by single black diamonds. Some are trivial, but North Pocket caught me out. That's the first, admittedly short, marked run I've looked at and though "hmmm, not sure I can ski that". Not stupid steep, if wider, but given it was stupid narrow it was tough. Was doing ok until I pre-released and broke the brake plate on the binding. Couldn't walk down it so had to toboggan on my back side. Supermodel looked pretty extreme for a single too (rocks, big moguls, ice, narrow, below a lift) I wimped out of that one and decided then to avoid the few double blacks that were open.

Ended up skiing the rest of what was open in the day though, mostly twice or three time. So if I was there a week I'd have been grateful of other options like LL and Norquay.

I'm probably being too harsh. Being on my own probably made it a bit less fun and I'm probably not factoring that in. And any day in the mountains is still better than any day not... snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ishay,

We were there that weekend; it was cold. WE thought conditions were OK; they were certainly a ton better than the weekend before at LL. We spent most of the day on wawa watching our baby race!!

Next time you are out a resort host would be a good idea; Sunshine is really one of those places where you need to know the good runs
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PS the views were fab that day and we got a 'sundog' which is fairly rare.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gryphea wrote:
Quote:

Totally agree, we loved Norquay. Wonderful rolling pistes and completely empty, well worth a visit for a day

Did you go on a Saturday when Calgary and the race clubs are out in full? In fact I would completely avoid it the first and second weekends in Feb. The first weekend is a nancy green race, there will be kids everywhere and runs will be closed. Their parents will clog up the hill and the lodge. The second weekend is the Alberta Winter games and again there will be U14s everywhere and ditto parents.

Haha no! Can't remember what day it was, but it was dead!

I didn't try any double black diamonds in any of the resorts, I'm too much of a wuss. Did a couple of singles and they were OK.

I know some of the guys in the group did a run called Waterfall and said it was rather challenging..!

They also spent ages trying to find the run called Cleavage in Sunshine but we think it was shut.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ishay wrote:
Well, it was cold, -23c. But yes layers served everything well except my toes. Still can't feel the end of my right big toe.

Snow was pretty old and icy. Can see that it would be good with good snow, but I still can't get my head around NA skiing, i.e. 6 slightly different routes down the same fall line being 6 different runs. It really does mask a pretty small area. What was most noticeable was the lack of long runs. I'm not an amazing skier but I am very fit, so on my own I don't rest. On short runs that means a short time between lifts.

Also can't get my head around the variety of difficulties covered by single black diamonds. Some are trivial, but North Pocket caught me out. That's the first, admittedly short, marked run I've looked at and though "hmmm, not sure I can ski that". Not stupid steep, if wider, but given it was stupid narrow it was tough. Was doing ok until I pre-released and broke the brake plate on the binding. Couldn't walk down it so had to toboggan on my back side. Supermodel looked pretty extreme for a single too (rocks, big moguls, ice, narrow, below a lift) I wimped out of that one and decided then to avoid the few double blacks that were open.

Ended up skiing the rest of what was open in the day though, mostly twice or three time. So if I was there a week I'd have been grateful of other options like LL and Norquay.

I'm probably being too harsh. Being on my own probably made it a bit less fun and I'm probably not factoring that in. And any day in the mountains is still better than any day not... snowHead
i

At last, someone who agrees with me about Sunshine. I agree with all you say. The best thing about Sunshine is the views.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy