Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there an iPhone App for locating another skier on a piste map

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for something like Find my Friends, but with the ability to overlay their location on a piste map.
The reason for asking is that at some point on each holiday, my wife will take a wrong turn from the rest of the group (despite following closely behind!) and we then spend an age trying to establish where she has got to.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am sure there are apps out there (ski tracks I think has a buddy tracking function) but even though I am a confirmed techy wobble head, I sometime think that the low tech solution is the best. If someone is lost, they stop at the nearest chairlift and either call or txt their location to who they think they need to. Any buddy tracking service is going to rely on data and will therefore incur data roaming charges (which of course may not be expensive depending on your particular plan).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree about the low tech solution - trouble is my wife gets into a bit of panic and seems to lose the ability to either find the start of the chairlift or read its name!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
wotnowalshy, I found a great free app called Maprika. You can download 1000s of OS maps and this includes piste maps (all free). When skiing, you simply turn on the app and the GPS in your phone will track you on the piste map. I used it recently in Norway and it was 100% accurate. No need to bother unfolding massive paper maps on a cold, windy piste. GPS tracking doesn't use the internet to find you so won't incur any charges - I have data roaming turned off abroad and this app works great.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some resorts have free WiFi at (major) lifts now, and all kinds of social media apps that do funky things like check you in and track.
If you can't find a key chairlift then that's not going to work very well either, but at least it'd save you the data roaming fee.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maprika is a good one.

Most operators now offer a simple plan for limited data roaming abroad, normally for about a pound a day you get 5Mb and won't let you go over, which is normally more than enough for tracking apps etc and you won't fall foul of expensive data roaming charges. check out options on your operators website.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all - I will give Maprika a go
2 more sleeps Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A lower tech method is for her to stop at the next piste marker and call/text the name and number on it.

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104109
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If only she would stop!
Good tip, though. I'll point these out to her as they usually have the piste name on them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had a look at maprika. It's interesting but the piste maps for Chamonix are lo resaloution.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy