Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIN SETTINGS ADVICE please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any Techies out there ?

I recently had my skis serviced and asked when I went to collect them to check my bindings
I'm skiiing Rossignol Experience 88's on a 170 length with an AXIUM 120 binding and a Saloman Xmax 120 ski boot size 27.5
I'm 5 '11 and weigh in at between say 175-182ibs and 58 years old
My ski level is pretty good on piste (all slopes) at speed but very good off piste - I've skied for many years and for 4 weeks on the 88's with a DIN setting of 6 - in which time I think I've come of the bindings just 3/4 times - they always safely released

My new binding check was done very quickly and adjusted up from 6 to 7.

My question:

Whether this is new DIN setting is the correct DIN or not based on the chart ?

What's the difference between 6 and 7 in terms of release and effect on my knees and should I go back to 6 ?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Test you bindings, do not only use a DIN-number, if you like legs and knees.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oops .............I meant to say my ski ability NOT so good off piste
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kneejerk, The person to talk with is Spyderjon http://thepisteoffice.com/ Did you get a printout or form listing the release values? It's a bit odd that a binding will change by a full DIN unit just with a service . . . ? Did you have the skis and/or the bindings serviced?

I would say ignore the charts, but they are a baseline to work from. Me, I'm a similar age and a bit heavier and for alpine I'm perfectly happy set at DIN5 but I'm a telemarker so I tend to be more centred over the ski in alpine bindings (less leverage in general use) . . . but I don't hang around and can't remember the last time I had an unforced or premature release.

It really is down to the individual to enquire, become informed and set your bindings to suit your body, fitness and skiing ability (not a criticism). Have a chat with Jon, get them re-tested if you wish and go from there. DIN settings are not a set and forget item, where you ski may require you to wind them up to avoid a long slide over a cliff.

Bit rambling, but hope that helps Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on whether you put yourself down as a Type 2 (Average/Moderate) or Type 3 (Expert/Aggressive) Skier. Type 2 is 6.0, Type 3 is 7.0. You're also borderline on the height though as 5' 10"/5' 11" is the transition point between 5.0/6.0 and 6.0/7.0.

So a moderate 5' 10.5" skier, say 178cm tall is a Din of 5.0, but an aggressive 179cm tall is a 7.0. It's a judgement call. 6.0 would seem to be a fair compromise if you've no experience of them pre-releasing at that setting and are concerned about your knees (i.e. would rather have a double eject than risk doing an ACL, for example).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kneejerk, forgot to say you can play with the input variables yourself on http://www.dinsetting.com/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kneejerk, I always used to start one below my rating and adjust by 0.5 if I got any pre releases. Some skis I'm ok on 8, some I need 9. I'm 5'10 and 75kg.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Raceplate, I come out as a strong 6 but given my skiing style and that I'm far happier taking the occasional flying lesson than splitting the other achilles, setting at 5 for pootling around on is spot on. If I do any gate training or start playing in the backcountry steeps I'll wind them up a little but I can't see it getting past 7 unless losing a ski will result in causing a hazard to me or my companions . . . in that case I'd nail the boogers on. I do have leashes most of the time but even those can fail, especially the scissor spring jaw type Evil or Very Mad Lots of walking last Jan to find an errant Nomad.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kneejerk, if 6 worked and you didn't release in any situations where you thought you shouldn't I'd go back down to that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Everyone and HNY
Some very good advice thanks - I'll get my screwdiver out tonight and go back to 6
Really don't want an ACL or any injury
I think it makes sense to leave it as it was and then ratchet up by 0.5 at a time only if I get pre releases
It's laughable that I can be categorised by some manufacturers/shops as Expert.........I'm certainly not an Expert and fall somewhere in the chasm between Type 2 and Type 3 which gap could be split again by 10 !!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kneejerk, I still remember swapping from B2 skis to some 98mm Nordicas, different bindings and a longer and heavier ski, I jumped from 6.5 to 8 just to stop them popping off every time I hit moguls or an off piste small take off. In fact, if I wasn't getting the odd pre release in heavy snow I'd back them down 0.5 at a time until I did. I value my knees too Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy