Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thermos flasks?

Poster: A snowHead
Just a thought. I have not used one on the mountain since family days skiing at glencoe as a kid.
Does anyone use them for hot drinks or soups whilst on the hill?
What do you use? Was thinking about it but would think it might be uncomfortable in a helipack. Can you get flat ones like a huge hip flask? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just gone for this one, very light weight, small size and will deform and spring back under smallish impacts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Ultimate-Flask-Graphite-Steel/dp/B001F514W2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1388616625&sr=8-5&keywords=thermos+flask+0.5&tag=amz07b-21

Thermos Ultimate, think it's 310 grams. I got the 500ml, also come in 800 and 1 litre versions. I'm skiing for a season and trying to make the money last, so it's a flask of coffee or Bovril and a baguette for lunch most days. Great for touring too when you are away from the huts.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 2-01-14 2:56; edited 7 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm in flaine at the moment and have a small flask but it leaks a little, does anyone know which small flasks are best?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use a metal one most days with hot squash in it. I find I'm more likely to finish it than if I'm drinking really cold water so I don't get dehydrated, plus there is some sugar in it too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I ski with 2 one litre flasks in my rucksack. Hot chocolate in one, soup in the other. As the family drink through, my burden gets lighter and lighter. Very Happy

However, when the family aren't with me, I don't bother with it at all.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
k1orange, I researched for a few nights to pick mine, looked at reviews of so many buyers plus the gear mag ratings.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avalanche Poodle, I was going to write 'nice flask' . . . and then realised I'm turning into my Grandad Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, Just hope you aren't getting frisky with your Grandma Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque wrote:
Avalanche Poodle, I was going to write 'nice flask' . . . and then realised I'm turning into my Grandad Shocked

Masque don't worry.....you are already everyone else's Grandad Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have two of those Thermos Ultimate ones linked above by AP. They have survived some rather large impacts without leaking. One usually has soup or hot choccie for the kids...the other has hot whiskey.....invariably leads to more impact testing Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have two vessels for the hill:

1) Hip flask, usually containing a nice single malt and

2) A "vapur" - it's like a small bladder - a plastic bag with a screw drinking-bottle top. Holds about a glass and a half of wine, which when kept in an inside breast pocket, is at perfect temperature. An ideal accompaniment to a wee jambon-fromage sandwich (in the other breast pocket).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just a 'thanks' for posting this question. It's been a while since we did a self-catered holiday and I decided soups were the way to go for on-the-mountain sustenance. Just ordered the one suggested by Scarpa Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Timg60, I usually go out with a thermos - ordinary metal one does fine.
Not a problem in back-pack - sits happily with spare gloves, extra layer, hipflask (rusty nail), sandwich, and chocolate.
Mine contains mint tea with a spoonful of honey.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for rusty nail
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+ another one for Rusty Nail
ski holidays
If you're just after something small then I've got one of these http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/thermal-mug-red--p150786

Keeps stuff amazingly hot for a surprisngly long time and easy to carry. Not actually used it while skiing but did have it in the bag with me last year and no problems carrying it around. Also very sturdy.
snow conditions
@Stumbler, Man to my own heart.....what's with the soup and coffee ?? wink
snow conditions
Timg60, simple thermos flask like this (plastic cover makes more comfortable when very cold).
Contains Mint Tea with spoonful of honey.
Fits fine in backpack alongwith rest of kit.

Also take bars of chocolate and hipflask with Rusty Nail (used to be Toffee Vodka)
latest report
Stumbler wrote:
I have two vessels for the hill:

1) Hip flask, usually containing a nice single malt and

2) A "vapur" - it's like a small bladder - a plastic bag with a screw drinking-bottle top. Holds about a glass and a half of wine, which when kept in an inside breast pocket, is at a perfect temperature. An ideal accompaniment to a wee jambon-fromage sandwich (in the other breast pocket).

Thank God for Stumbler. I was beginning to get quite worried about my fellow snowheads. Warm squash and mugs of tea on the mountain? No, no, no!

I recently found I had a large bottle of Georgian Chacha (a bit like grappa) that I wasn't going to drink so I'm in the process of turning it into Lime, Basil and Mandarin Chacha. It's a little 'off-piste' as a recipe but it might just work. If all else fails I can get Mrs FZ to wear it as perfume.
latest report
Actually a flask of jagertee works really well Toofy Grin
snow conditions
this may be a well known use of a thermos, but a couple of ski trips back, we were introduced to carrying a thermos around with hot dogs sausages that have been cooked in the apartment before going skiing, and making hot dogs with baguettes from the bakery (and sachets of ketchup) whilst having a picnic.

we have done this several times since, and works a treat with lovely warm hot dogs at lunch time, hip flask with Jägermeister is also obligatory, but not for the kids (yet!!!!)
snow conditions
How did this thread get resurrected!
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, just noticed the original post was from 3 years ago, and from this morning and previous post was 2 1/2 years ago!
snow report
@Handy Turnip, there was spam which got deleted.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy