Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking your own alcohol out for Après

Poster: A snowHead
Edelweiss28 wrote
Quote:

...with a markup of over 10,000%

good grief...that's more than the bars make on beer in a ski resort!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kat.ryb wrote:
Edelweiss28, it doesn't matter if cinemas make a lot of profit from food not films, it is still not against their T&Cs to eat your own food and drink in there.

Quote:

I suppose it depends on your situation, if you're not flush then you can do what you want and I don't think anyone would overly mind.

If you are not flush, I suggest not going skiing, or go skiing to bulgaria where the bar price might be more to your liking, or book yourself a SC apartment and drink supermarket beer. How are people so bloody tight?

I think it is against most cinema's T&Cs to eat personal food on their premises (as they are private property and it is in their interest for you not to).

Having said that, I suppose you're right on the affordability thing - self catering is a good option and should be considered if you're bothered about bar prices etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All this talk of property prices for alpine bars, short seasons, higher costs, 6 Saturdays a week is completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter if the bar owner is a billionaire or not. When you enter the premises you are, effectively, entering into an agreement to exchange cash for food/drink/services. We all understand that, so if you can't won't keep your end of the bargain why should they? Imagine a bar owner who takes your order for supper, plies you with booze all night and at the end of the evening he decides to add an extra £100 to the bill because he has seen your expensive car outside, nice clothes, flash watch etc.? Fair or not?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gixxerniknik wrote:
Edelweiss28 wrote
Quote:

...with a markup of over 10,000%

good grief...that's more than the bars make on beer in a ski resort!

Sorry, a slight over exageration from me.... 1,275% (http://www.rd.com/slideshows/10-outrageous-markups-youd-never-guess-you-were-paying/)

Still incredible!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gixxerniknik wrote:
I think we're all missing an important thing here, that is if the drinks in the bars in the Alps were cheaper, (ie more reasonably priced) we wouldn't feel the need to have a sneaky swig from the hip flask.
I'm not sure the the drinks where I'll be in Austria next week will be much dearer than in my nearest major city, and certain they are no dearer than that there London. Does the hip-flask think happen there much ?

The Flying Gooseberry wrote:
Oh dear, I was guilty several times last week of ordering a hot drink and taking a small swig from my hip flask of whisky mac while waiting for it. I didn't think twice about doing that. I am obviously a bad person. Embarassed
I do that at coffee stops - it's completely different... <>< wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
All this talk of property prices for alpine bars, short seasons, higher costs, 6 Saturdays a week is completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter if the bar owner is a billionaire or not. When you enter the premises you are, effectively, entering into an agreement to exchange cash for food/drink/services. We all understand that, so if you can't won't keep your end of the bargain why should they? Imagine a bar owner who takes your order for supper, plies you with booze all night and at the end of the evening he decides to add an extra £100 to the bill because he has seen your expensive car outside, nice clothes, flash watch etc.? Fair or not?

Again, good point... I suppose if you dont like it you can always go elsewhere.

Edit: To another bar that is Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In some bars the service is so slow that without the hip flask the blood content of my alcohol stream would have risen to unacceptable levels by the time my drinks arrived Toofy Grin

Don't really condone taking your own drinks to a bar for an evening entertainment but can't really see what's wrong with a quick nip from the flask that you've carried around the slopes all day, especially after buying 4 or more pints of eye wateringly expensive lager from the same bar before tottering back to the chalet for dinner.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tarquin wrote:
gixxerniknik wrote:
I think we're all missing an important thing here, that is if the drinks in the bars in the Alps were cheaper, (ie more reasonably priced) we wouldn't feel the need to have a sneaky swig from the hip flask.
I'm not sure the the drinks where I'll be in Austria next week will be much dearer than in my nearest major city, and certain they are no dearer than that there London. Does the hip-flask think happen there much ?

Indeed, when I first went skiing (only a few years ago), the price of beer in resorts felt obscene (particularly because I was still a student), but the price of beer in the UK has risen so much in the last few years that ski resorts no longer feel especially expensive by comparison. They seem to have stayed more or less the same.

Personally if the bar in resort has a decent atmosphere and I'm there with all my friends on a ski holiday I have no real problem paying a bit more than I would in the UK anyway - espacially since it's only a small premium over UK prices these days.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Posidrive wrote:
In some bars the service is so slow that without the hip flask the blood content of my alcohol stream would have risen to unacceptable levels by the time my drinks arrived Toofy Grin

Don't really condone taking your own drinks to a bar for an evening entertainment but can't really see what's wrong with a quick nip from the flask that you've carried around the slopes all day, especially after buying 4 or more pints of eye wateringly expensive lager from the same bar before tottering back to the chalet for dinner.

Very Happy Wierdly, this I agree with too. If service is so slow I CAN'T buy a drink I think I'd be okay with someone passing around a hip flask for a swig while we wait (not saying I would do it, but I wouldn't think it a clearly sneaky/poor form action). It's something about the intentionally buying the mixer and pouring in the spirit that triggers my 'wrong' sensor.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Edelweiss28
Quote:

But you take sweets into the cinema for the kids to avoid the high markup?

True. And I'm not sure that's morally defensible. In my rather weak defense I'm not aware of it being against their T&C's.[/b]
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^ If it makes you feel any better - me too sometimes Smile Although I buy their (awful!) wine Very Happy

I think it's because I think of the film as the main purchase and the rest as extras, and somehow in my head that makes it okay Blush . Whereas in a pub the drink is the main thing. So I'm not okay with someone sneaking into the cinema without a ticket (even though they argue that costs the cinema nothing, they are showing the film anyway!) but am okay with someone bringing in a bag of sweets. I'm not okay with someone bringing their own alcohol to a bar, or food to a restaurant. I don't like folks using a boot fitter and then going online, but am okay with them just getting the boots in the shop and then getting the socks/bag etc online.

I'm not saying it's RIGHT (dammit, am going to have to stop having sweets at the cinema now....) but it is interesting how each of us makes up our mind on these things...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jirac18 wrote:
Good lord we have some real goody two shoes on this forum. Everyone's an angel when it's in their best interest. I bet everyone of the restauranteurs and bar owners have done something to impinge on some other walk of life somewhere.

It is just an indicator of honesty.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I took my own alcohol to bars when I was a skint teenager. I also used to eat stuff while walking around a supermarket, steal other peoples drinks in night clubs and nick stuff from the food line at school.

I've since developed a moral compass and have stopped doing all those things now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually it usually is against a cinema's rules to eat your own food and drink but it's different from a pub as when you go into a pub the core service is the drink. The core service of the cinema is not the popcorn. No one goes 'Oh I think I'll have some popcorn and a coke, let's go to the Odeon.' I want to go to the cinema and I don't want to starve when in there. I used to buy popcorn and a coke in them but the prices have become so absurd that is no longer the case.

I can't imagine anyone going to the effort of taking a flask inside a bar up the mountain and swigging from it whilst their friends are buying drinks. Of course people must do it but it seems extreme considering the high cost of a ski holiday anyway, that usually there is a range of pubs with different prices and that it's obviously frowned upon. It's kind of ok if your in the pub having a few drinks and some food and then have a swig of a drink.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
emwmarine, get real have you never been marginally dishonest?
snow conditions
There seems to be a line of reasoning here that taking drinks into a bar is okay if the bar prices are too high. Would the same people condone shoplifting in stores where they deemed the prices goo high?

Not a great deal of difference.
ski holidays
jirac18 wrote:
emwmarine, get real have you never been marginally dishonest?

"marginally dishonest" , well there's a new definition on me, maybe a bit like "nearly a virgin"?

Must remember to be careful not to leave my wallet lying around near some snowheads.
latest report
emwmarine, take care on the vertiginous heights of the moral high ground!
snow report
The Flying Gooseberry wrote:
emwmarine, take care on the vertiginous heights of the moral high ground!

That's very true. But a lot is about intent, everybody has their own morale compass and most deviate from it at times. Judging from the posts on here most think the OPs question errs on the side of not right. A few can't see the problem, a few can't see the problem if bar prices are high.

Just because you think something is wrong doesn't mean you won't do it. I am not preaching just that I am with the majority here. I do think the term 'marginally dishonest' a strange one though.
snow report
emwmarine, I agree with your explanation. We all make judgements over whether something is morally right or wrong, and then we also make a decision about what we will actually do. Speeding is, probably, wrong from a moral perspective and yet most of us are happy to do it.

I don't think any of us are saying we would never do something wrong. It's a question of whether you try and fool yourself that it is morally right.

The idea that it can be morally right to take your own spirits to a bar because if the high prices is utter nonsense.
snow conditions
The point I was trying to make is that some people here are preaching from a moral high ground like they have never done anything wrong. Well we all know that is tosh. And sneaking a swig from a hip flask or taking your own popcorn to a cinema is hardly a big deal. if you get pulled up for it no complaints either. And your wallet is perfectly safe near me thank you very much!
ski holidays
emwmarine,
Quote:

I agree with your explanation

So do I. Thanks.
ski holidays
kat.ryb wrote:
Edelweiss28, it doesn't matter if cinemas make a lot of profit from food not films, it is still not against their T&Cs to eat your own food and drink in there.

Quote:

I suppose it depends on your situation, if you're not flush then you can do what you want and I don't think anyone would overly mind.

If you are not flush, I suggest not going skiing, or go skiing to bulgaria where the bar price might be more to your liking, or book yourself a SC apartment and drink supermarket beer. How are people so bloody tight?

That's exactly what I thought, I mean who has a hip flask in the first place. If you wanted a brandy in your lunchtime coffee then that's how you would order it surely, not take the bloody brandy round the mountain with you.
snow report
Kel, who has a hip flask? Loads of people. It's not intended for topping up a coffee, it's for that slug of sloe gin when out shooting, that nip of Whisky when walking the moors, a quick hit of slivowiscz when sitting on a chairlift. Ashamed to admit I have at least three hip flasks. (But usually only carry one at a time).
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu, I was talking in the context of on a ski holiday, I really really couldn't be arsed, if I want a drink I go to a bar, refugio and buy one and the same goes for everyone who is with me.

As for walking on the moors, I live at the foot of Pendle Hill and take the dog out for a couple of hours most days, sometimes a might take a nip, but more often I won't.
snow conditions
A lot of us apparently!
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=106200&highlight= Toofy Grin
ski holidays
a.j., Fair Enough Shocked
snow report
If you can get away with it, go for it, if you get caught....... I know nothing
wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ulmerhutte wrote:
There seems to be a line of reasoning here that taking drinks into a bar is okay if the bar prices are too high. Would the same people condone shoplifting in stores where they deemed the prices goo high?

Not similar

The similar case would be to go into Clarks, a shop that sells shoes, and which has various chairs in there.
If I went in, sat down on one of their chairs, reached into my bag and brought out another pair of my own shoes, and put them on, perhaps because my first pair were giving me a blister and hence I had need to change my shoes.

So what I am doing is exactly the same, and Clarks might ask me to leave, but I'd suspect they wouldn't, nor would they ask me to buy a pair of their shoes.

Ps to those that say you are paying for the atmosphere etc in a pub, no you are not. You are entering a contract for the drink only. The bar owner makes no representation whatsoever in terms of atmosphere. It is however what he provides free with the intent of hoping to persuade you to buy beer.

Now he may, if he wishes, make it a contractual requirement to enter his bar, that each and everyone who enters buys a drink. But shops used to do that - they put signs on the door that said "No free entry" !!!
Now it would be fun to see bar owners trying to make that work - everyone has to buy a certain number of drinks.
But it's not sensible, as people will generally go somewhere easier and laid back.
snow report
Just hit a line in the bog with a nice shiney window sill, doesn't make you ski like a dawk next day either, all this subterfuge;)
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
downing 200-375ml of single malt at 6AM isn't as good as it sounds).

Sounds fine to me. Although I would share it round.
latest report
when in France i only go to catered chalets where a few supermarket bought beers and as much free chalet wine as you can drink is the norm for me before going out and maybe buying four expensive pints of beer which after what i have already consumed is more than enough.

found austria far more affordable and i enjoy the apres there so few beers after skiing back to hotel for dinner, quick couple of beers in the room and then out for a few at reasonable prices. I do go for the skiing though and don't head out every night as the apres is sometimes enough for me.

on the hip flask thing i do take three with me sealed and packed in my case with "rusty nail" within. I drink it on the chairlift and i have on occasion thrown a nip into a hot chocolate. I would never smuggle drink into a pub and pour spirits into a mixer, certainly not in France where a coke is about five euros anyway. I would and have on very few occasions took a slug from my hip flask whilst waiting on my next beer and i don't see a problem with that as i am spending money in the bar anyway.
ski holidays
sev112 wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

Not similar

The similar case would be to go into Clarks, a shop that sells shoes, and which has various chairs in there.
If I went in, sat down on one of their chairs, reached into my bag and brought out another pair of my own shoes, and put them on, perhaps because my first pair were giving me a blister and hence I had need to change my shoes.

So what I am doing is exactly the same, and Clarks might ask me to leave, but I'd suspect they wouldn't, nor would they ask me to buy a pair of their shoes.

Ps to those that say you are paying for the atmosphere etc in a pub, no you are not. You are entering a contract for the drink only. The bar owner makes no representation whatsoever in terms of atmosphere. It is however what he provides free with the intent of hoping to persuade you to buy beer.

Now he may, if he wishes, make it a contractual requirement to enter his bar, that each and everyone who enters buys a drink. But shops used to do that - they put signs on the door that said "No free entry" !!!
Now it would be fun to see bar owners trying to make that work - everyone has to buy a certain number of drinks.
But it's not sensible, as people will generally go somewhere easier and laid back.

Some "interesting " logic there and your analogy is rubbish. Showrooming in the Clarks store would be a relevant analogy, but not what you have quoted.

The second bit is a not so neat side-step. Check the licensing laws. I am almost prepared to bet that in most regions/countries, you are prohibited from bring your own drinks into those premises.
snow report
sounds a bit like taking your wife to a brothel.

a 'No' from me
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy