Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding releasing problem

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Twice in the last two days I've had a binding release for no obvious reason. I'm getting a bit worried about it and looking for any advice/theories on what's going on.

The skis are Fischer Watea 88 with Fischer branded bindings. Now in their third week of use. The boots are Salomon X-Max 120, now in their second week of use. Fitted to the skis by the shop.

Both times the release has happened likes this -

I've come up the mountain in a gondola. Put my skis on (definitely in and with no problems getting in). Started skiing on a gentle traverse. After a few metres noticed that i can't get my edge in on my right ski. A moment later the right ski is off and I'm on the deck. Smooth piste, no shock loading. According to the skier behind me it looked like the heel of the boot had just come out of the binding.

Any ideas? I'm thinking that a bit of ice has had time in the gondola to harden up nicely before I put the ski on, but surely if there's a lump on the sole of the boot then the binding shouldn't engage?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An iced sole can lead to a binding semi-locking but ready to pop off with any extra pressure. Always best to check before standing in your bindings.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Valkyrie, check the forward pressure is set correctly.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup - if in doubt take them to a shop ski tech, not worth getting an injury.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sounds like ice but yes, take them to a shop to check.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
More info - just remembered that when I picked up my ski the binding was in the closed position, so it hadn't actually fully released. Does that make insufficient forward pressure seem the likely issue?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

the binding was in the closed position, so it hadn't actually fully released

to my mind that makes ice the most likely issue - but I'm no binding expert.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ice seems the Likely culprit but it just seems odd to me that I've never had this issue with any other boot/binding combination.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Valkyrie, It could just be more the current snow conditions. I've had days when it builds up really hard layers on the boot sole, mostly don't have a problem with it though. Have a look at both boots and bindings.. are the gaps exactly the same as you put the boot in the binding or has one binding moved position. Can you or someone else twist the boot in position and pop the binding and if so do both feel like they are releasing at the same pressure?

But a shop could do all that in 5 minutes, probably wouldn't even charge for it, especially if you bought something else Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've a pair of Blizzards with which I have a lot of problems with the bindings fully engaging. Spyderjon has checked them out twice and there's nothing wrong with them. They seem to click in much better on a firmer, flatter surface. I just have to be very careful that they're in right each time.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well the Intersport in Fiss was very quiet at 9am this morning so I got a ski tech to check my bindings. Nothing wrong with them but the forward pressure was at the minimum acceptable. After listening to my problem the tech increased the forward pressure by one notch, which takes it to just under the maximum. Engagement feels much more positive and thus far the problem hasn't reappeared, so I'm hoping that's it fixed. Tech also reviewed my DIN settings and did it all free of charge, so bigs thumbs up for Intersport Fiss.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Valkyrie, Glad you got it sorted and have peace of mind. Ski techs seem to be always prepared to help out with any safety matter.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In case anyone else has a similar problem - I skiied for 3 days after increasing the binding forward pressures and the problem didn't come back. Not 100% conclusive evidence but good enough for me to think that the higher forward pressure is a good thing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy