Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have i got the right lens for skiing in April?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am quite new to boarding and just got a new pair of goggles for christmas. I got the Oakley A frames with a VR28 lens. in the description it says 'Medium to bright light. Filters blue light to increase contrast and improve depth perception in a wide variety of conditions.'

I know it will be sunny but on some occasions in the past couple of years it has been pretty cloudy and almost a white out.

Have i got the right lens? Or should i change it?

Thanks

Alex
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saunders1989, welcome to snowheads. snowHead You don't need any different lens in April than in any other month; I have been out in very bright sunshine the last two days - in January but the visibility will probably deteriorate rapidly when the next depression passes over in a couple of days. The lens you have sounds OK to me - and Oakleys are supposed to be great (I have much cheaper ones!). I think some people faff too much about lenses - in a proper white out nothing will make much difference, frankly. Time to go to a bar.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi thanks for your response.

I was just being cautious. I have a pair of Oakley sun glasses with gold lenses for real sunny days. I agree with you a white out should mean time for a bar.

Thanks again.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just wear sunnies, you shouldn't need goggles in April.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
April skiing I've had everything from flat light and fog and heavy snow to bluebird powder days. Have got green sol-s lenses in my Smiths for most conditions and a cheap pair of Bolle yellow lens goggles for flat/dull light.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi @davkt thanks for replying. Are my lenses good for most conditions?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My advice FWIW... If in doubt, go lighter.
I've worn a low light lens in bright conditions and the eyes just adjust - no problem.
On the other hand wearing dark lens on a white out day = nightmare.
Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saunders1989, Think they'll do for anytime a pair of yellows aren't needed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Okay great. Thanks for all your help
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
foxtrotzulu, Not so, I've skied in atrocious conditions in April and lived in my goggles - sunnies are hopeless if there is any form of precipitation, i.e. fog/low clouds, snow, sleet, drizzle etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bucking bronco, hmmm, I have some lighter lenses for grim days and found them entirely inadequate against glacier glare in April.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, +1 here. A decent high contrasting tint on a dark lens is almost as effective as a lighter lens in a white out. I've found the opposite is not true. Your eyes may get achy using something that lets too much light through on a sunny day too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My new goggles are photocromic - very light, just about clear, on grim days but darken nicely when it's sunny. Not tried them in a proper white out yet - but in the kind of thing people often refer to as a white out (ie when you can see the next piste marker, and possibly even two) they were fine. I don't believe anything enables you to see in a white out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I skied for 5 years with only the persimmon lens, a bit bright in spring sun but bearable with squinting Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, Apologies I phrased my earlier comment slightly ambiguously. I didn't meant don't take goggles, I just meant that there is a good chance you won't need to wear them and can happily ski in sunnies 90% of the time.

I know I've been lucky, but out of the 20-30 weeks I've skied over the years I've only needed Goggles on 5-10 days in total.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy