Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

helmet and goggles for a blue run?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Backpack is a personal preference, but they can be a bit if a faff on chair lifts particularly if you're not used to them (chairlifts not backpacks). If you get your layering right (per the clothing guide) you shouldn't need to add/shed layers during the day. You can get a lightweight camelback pack and wear it under your jacket if you're concerned about dehydration, or I've seen some ski instructors with a fanny-pack that holds a water bottle (like the ones you get for bikes) in a comfy and easy to reach position.

Helmets are less comfortable and less cool (aesthetically) than a flashy bobble hat, on the other hand it might save your life. Not really much of a debate there.

Goggles are preferable if you're wearing a helmet, and if not then as long as the lenses are ski specific you will be fine in either. However add falling snow or severe cold to a speedy descent and you'll wish you had goggles. It might seem expensive but investing (or borrowing) good ski goggles is a must - I know there are several good brands but I always trust Oakley. They don't fog up, offer excellent field of vision and have some helpful tints for low/flat light conditions.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Goggles are preferable if you're wearing a helmet, and if not then as long as the lenses are ski specific you will be fine in either.
Is that really essential? They obviously need to be plastic, not glass, and have good UV protection, but beyond that?

Quote:

However add falling snow or severe cold to a speedy descent and you'll wish you had goggles
+1

Quote:

It might seem expensive but investing (or borrowing) good ski goggles is a must - I know there are several good brands but I always trust Oakley. They don't fog up, offer excellent field of vision and have some helpful tints for low/flat light conditions.
I'm sure Oakley etc. are great, but there are some excellent goggles out there for £20-£40.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PJMaybe, I find that you can ski in glasses on a bright blue sky day, but the moment there is any form of precipitation, i.e. fog, snow, drizzle etc. you will find that the glasses are a PITA and you will need goggles, not because of any speed or lack of it, but just because they are the only practical solution to misting up regularly. This is practical experience of wearing both. FWIW Plenty of people wear helmets when they are learning. It was my own preference to do so.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

there are some excellent goggles out there for £20-£40

I've never paid more than £40. Never had interchangeable lenses, either. And I ski around 10 weeks a year.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I paid £60ish for my Smith I/O goggles on ebay but got 2 lenses with them, an all round and a low light one, so in effect got two pairs for that, have a Smith helmet as well which gets round the misting up as the ventilation channels of goggles and helmet fit together so give a good airflow. The I/O is easily the best set of goggles for peripheral vision I've come across.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
At the risk of repeating what most others have said... There are several different considerations here!

1) Helmet or just hat. Definitely helmet. It'll be warmer, less faff, as well as give you confidence as you're learning. But I always bring a hat with me too to disguise the highly attractive helmet hair that helmets inevitably produce!
2) Goggles or sunnies. Bring both. If it's snowing you will definitely need goggles, as your sunnies will mist up. For this reason I'd get goggles with light (yellow/orange/pink) lenses which help you see better when it's overcast. They might be a bit too bright if it's sunny though, so either get a pair of goggles with interchangeable lenses, and get a dark lens too, or less expensively use your sunglasses when it's sunny. It's worth bringing both with you each day though, as you never know what will happen to the weather. And also you might find that you don't like the lower level of wind protection that sunglasses give you.
3) Rucksack or not. I'd say that it's a matter of personal preference really. The pros and cons outlined above aren't that major really. Bring it with you to the resort (as long as it's a small one that you can keep on whilst on a chair lift) and try it both ways. I personally prefer to ski with a slim rucksack which holds my wallet, phone, hat, camera, sunnies and an extra layer, than put all that in my pockets, but as I say, that's personal preference.

Have an awesome time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BlueSky, That summing up was no fun at all. Nothing to argue about now Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PJMaybe, Both. You'll not be able to see much if it's snowing and windy without goggles and the snow will hurt your face on a lift without them. Some people say no to sunnies unless off the snow (no idea why), but I prefer to wear sunglasses if it's a nice day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu, sorry! Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy