Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Eurostar ski train, how do you get to it?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just been looking on Eurostar website and couldn't find a direct route only one where you have to make your own way through paris
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I remember the disco on the train. What a ridiculous idea that was.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@cameronphillips2000, if you choose one of the Alpine stations as your destination (Moutiers, Aime or Bourg St Maurice) on a Friday or Saturday, it will present the direct train as one of the options the Saturday train is the 10am one out of London, I think the Friday one is about 18.00.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you - just found it. Unfortunately, we want to go in school Holidays when the price rockets. My wife won't fly so I was looking for an alternative to driving. By the time I've driven to Ashford, paid the parking, then hired a car at the other end, It's just so much cheaper to take the car as the kids train tickets are not too much ch cheaper. I can see it making perfect sense for singles or couples though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cameronphillips2000, if you are aiming for one of the local resorts, then you wouldn't really need a hire car - for Les Arcs you just get on the furnicular, and others like 3 Valleys, La Plagne and Tignes are only a taxi or bus ride away. But, yeah, a car is probably going to be cheaper for a family.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry @cameronphillips2000: meant to put in a link for the Ski Train.

But as @Scarlet mentions: if you are taking the train then surely you would be aiming for one of the many resorts within a short bus ride of the many stations from Albertville to Bourg.
Then no need for car hire.
Your car ride to Ashford is more of a problem, but careful research should find you somewhere near the station where you can leave your car for free for the week.
Might mean a short bus ride. Or get a friend to take you. (i suppose the taxi fare for you is similar to the car park fee?)

As for prices: yes, the Ski Train fares may well have gone up during peak holiday periods, but if you go for the Eurostar/SNCF option and book as soon as tickets appear, then the fare is no more than usual.
Kids usually find the Metro/RER trip across Paris a fun adventure. Or you could go by taxi and ask the driver to go via Notre Dame - well worth it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have taken skis on crowded ordinary trains, tube trains, the Metro in Paris, a bus in Paris, etc etc. Never caused any problems. I had a ski bag and a backpack so was 100% mobile.

On tube and Metro I stood, holding the skis. On the night sleeper in France I had to sleep with them as with 6 people in the compartment there is no floor room. BUT it is 100% better than sitting up all night in a seat on an ordinary train. If I am going to sit up all night I'll go by coach at half the price (done that, too....)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used to work on East Coast trains. So long as your luggage isn't blocking the aisles or vestibules, or on a seat and the train is full, you'll be fine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only taken skis once on a train (titchy one to Gatwick, 2m long cross-country skis, annoying butno issue from the train staff), but I have put luggage in the East coast guards' van, and I never pre-booked. I used to do it when I took the line fairly regularly and on busy occasions when I knew there would be limited luggage space in the carriages, I just went up to the guards van and asked for my suitcase to be taken. Never had a problem, and it also meant I didn't have to wonder if someone else would walk off with my suitcase.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, surely on the night sleeper there is room for skis under the bottom "bed".

Next time you go sleeper, go first class - not that much more expensive than 2nd class, but oh-so much more civilised: 4 beds rather than 6, mattress rather than hard board, sleeping bag rather than sheet, bottle of water at each birth, and fellow travellers who want to sleep rather than natter.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim wrote:
sleeper, go first class
bottle of water at each birth,

Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@StuartMac, @Jonpim, Laughing The inhabitants of the bottom bunks tend to "bag" the spaces under beds. Our trip down in a 6 berth was very civilized. Fellow travellers were 4 young Italians who wanted to sleep. On the way back I was on my own (because OH had been spirited back by the insurance after a tornado blew half the roof off our house) I was on my own and had the entire 6 berths to myself.

On the way out, having booked at the very last minute we had some hours to kill in Paris but fortunately a good friend was the British Ambassador at the time so we went to the Residence for tea....a uniformed flunkey stashed our backpacks and skis away Cool

The whole trip was very civilized. Was a shame about the roof, though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy