Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Axamer Lizum

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

Just after some information please I am visiting at half term & just asking what the slopes are like and the resort in general.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's no help at all but Axamer Lizum does sound a bit like the name of a character from Game of Thrones.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quite a nice little area for a day or so skiing with a funicular that takes you up to a very James Bondish restuarant that has a side that retracts if the weather is good.
We had a day there from Innsbruck as there is a very good bus service from the centre but the last bus back will curtail the Après.
We also tried Igls which was only a 15 minute taxi from the centre but being relatively low had fairly sketchy snow and Kuhtai which
was about an hour on the bus but being considerably higher had very good snow and was mainly red runs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Steve Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been to Axamer Lizum many times and am not as disparaging as many about it's qualities! It is a small area compared to many but if you are in ski school for example there is more than enough to keep you moving and improving. If I were there for a week I would book myself into a ski school and let them help me make the best of it.

At the Lizum itself there is not much; originally it was part of the athletes village for the 1968(?) Winter Olympics. Most of the action is down the hill in the villages along the "alpine balcony" above Innsbruck. I used to stay in Götzens and had a great time, but I'm not a party animal. There is a really nice swimming pool with indoor/outdoor pools, not massive but a good place to unwind after a days skiing.

If the conditions are good, the run from The Lizum down to Götzens is superb. Another evening highlight used to be a pretty wild toboggan ride down from a hut somewhere above the village. We were taken up in a trailer behind a pistie beastie the last time I did it. We had a fabulous meal in the hut with lots of schnapps, then we tobogganed back down to the village along the snowy track we had ascended. It was not a proper toboggan run as such, so perhaps in these litigation happy days it is no longer offered. Shame, but that is so-called "progress" Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't know if they still do it but do go on one of Fritz's night time sleigh/coach trips. He is the funniest Austrian I have ever met and you end up for a couple of hours at his place with some great après and music making. One of the highlights of that holiday.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We stayed in Götzens as a family about 23 years ago. My memories of the place are very hazy, but I just remember a huge car park and a big hill you had to walk up to get to the lifts. I should imagine things have changed since though. The skiing at Axamer Lizum was limited as I recall, but I do know there was a ladies downhill piste which wasn't bad, just very busy.

There was an outside bar at the top of the main lift too, serving up gluwein which was always welcome.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi - I'm a big fan of the Axamer area, and the Innsbruck resorts, generally. A couple of recommendations - one is the long black run all the way to Axams. It's a brilliant run - one of my all-time faves as the views are fantastic, the terrain changes frequently, and there are some pretty challenging bits although it's more of a red than a black. There's a cool pizza place at the bottom. You need to catch a (free) bus back to the main ski area but well worth the hassle.
The other thing is skiing all the way to Mutteralm which you can do without any other lifts (this isn't clear from the piste map). You can actually ski to the tram stop below Mutteralm, and then take a tram into Innsbruck city centre (takes 30 mins).
You can see how all the trams and trains link with the resorts on the the Ski Resort & Rail Map app on iTunes and android (more info here http://www.rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Axamer is one of my favourite resorts around here; great skiing and great scenery. They have a Freeride World Tour Qualifier event on 11th Jan.

I don't know about the specific toboggan track Sue mentions, but there are plenty in the area:

http://www.winterrodeln.org/wiki/Pleisenhütte_Axamer_Lizum Check out 'Andere Rodelbahnen for the other tracks - seems that you can hire toboggans from several shops, but the 'Hotel Bergheim' also hire them and organise groups, so may also organise the night toboggan stuff.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all looking forward to February
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy