Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Poles - Buy In UK Or In Resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Having made the switch from hiring to owning skis I now need to buy a pair of ski poles but am torn between buying in the UK or waiting till I get to resort (Morzine).

I've been a little dissapointed in the range available from the Snow + Brigham's of this world and seem to remember a wider range on offer in resort - but generally things are more expensive in-resort.

What would yyou recommend - buy or wait?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you know what height you want why not get them from the huge range that you will find on the internet and get them posted to you in the UK?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mjit, UK all the way on this. Shop around, you'll find stacks of deals around on almost any imaginable model - check what length you need and then go shopping.

Buy in resort is a recipe for cheap and nasty but £50 poles, which nobody on earth needs, the difference between those and the ones at £8 in Decathlon is marketing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends if you are fussy and want to have a feel of the pole in your hand with gloves on etc... I prefer buying in resort. You just need a decent shop. I found some great ones in Tignes last year after breaking my beloved Kastle ones I also got in a shop, in Jackson Hole. So unless you know exactly what you want then buy in a decent shop.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mistress Panda, sort of true, but there's still difference between 15eur poles and 150eur carbon ones Wink And no, I'm not saying everyone should go and shell out 150eur for carbon poles Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
primoz, my carbon poles were less than £50 in the UK. I bought the cheapest pair I could find in resort to leave out there. ... €22 aluminium. I can't tell the difference. They are just poles.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx, I know, because those cheap (if £50 is cheap) carbon poles are normally even worse then 15eur alu poles Wink If you want to see difference, prices for carbon poles start at 120-130eur. Everything under that is waste of money in my opinion and you are better of getting 20-30eur alu poles.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
worth mentioning that Ellis Brigham cut some poles for me as they only had a larger size in stock so I'd imagine this is an option at most shops
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
primoz, they'll do for me wink. I have no idea what you mean by "worse". Worse than what - what difference would I see? Mine are sticks with handles and work just fine for what I want. we are not all gnarly dudes wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy